Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be the female athlete of the year?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any one of ETH, SH, SM, YJ, would have been a deserving winner.
    Congrats to ETH.
    Tuariki
    Last edited by Tuariki; 12-03-2021, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Warholm and ETH are not surprising picks from World Athletics. Warholm with probably the performance of the year (past 10+ years?) and ETH winning the glamour double and amazing previously unthinkable season. Both very very deserving, but I think the consensus here seemed to be Crouser and Rojas.

Warholm didnt compete enough compared to Crouser (even understanding the different events) and Rojas was undefeated with a WR and upended the entire top 10 list (plus ancillary jumps lists).

Comment

Warholm? Crouser?
        Both deserving.
        Congrats Warholm

Comment

We all have our varying points of view. For me, Elaine Thompson-Herah ran the best time ever in the event with the toughest world record. And backed it up more than adequately.
          A woman who comes within 0.05 of what Flojo ran in Indy with a legal wind is doing the equivalent of a 52 foot triple jump or a 28:30 10k.

Edit: I didn't know the results when I posted this.
          Last edited by 1.609; 12-03-2021, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
            Warholm? Crouser?
            Both deserving.
            Congrats Warholm
            Yes, and + Mondo but I was sure happy they picked Warholm. 2 WRs in one season in the 400H!
            I definitely liked Elaine Herah-Thompson on the Women side. Agree with 1.609's reasons.

Comment

I would have had Kipyegon first followed by Thompson-Herah. Kipyegon remains the most ridiculously underrated athlete I have seen in a half century following this sport. She routinely takes the best shot from other greats like Dibaba and Hassan then methodically wears them down. Hassan is so intimidated by Kipyegon that she totally alters her racing style against against Kipyegon and no one else. You can put world record holders like Gidey out there and Hassan doesn't care at all. Only Kipyegon is in her head.

That type of thing is worth a heck of a lot more to me than some jumper or thrower who is simply better than anyone else. And same dynamic with Thompson-Herah. How soon we forget that Fraser-Pryce was being touted as certainty in Tokyo accompanied by career comparisons to Bolt. Thompson-Herah wiped all of that out by daylight. The stunned deflated look on Fraser-Pryce's face was just like Hassan after dealing with Kipyegon.

Comment

Originally posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
                How soon we forget that Fraser-Pryce was being touted as certainty in Tokyo accompanied by career comparisons to Bolt.
                She was the favorite to win in Tokyo, but nobody here was touting her as a certainty.

Comment

I am struggling with the fact Crouser is devalued because his 23.30 and 23.15 came after the 23.37. Change the order of meets and he gets 3 WRs.

Comment

I would have had Kipyegon first followed by Thompson-Herah. Kipyegon remains the most ridiculously underrated athlete I have seen in a half century following this sport. She routinely takes the best shot from other greats like Dibaba and Hassan then methodically wears them down. Hassan is so intimidated by Kipyegon that she totally alters her racing style against against Kipyegon and no one else. ....
                    You make it sound as if Kipyegon has complete ownage of Hassan: her lifetime edge is only 10-6

Comment

That type of thing is worth a heck of a lot more to me than some jumper or thrower who is simply better than anyone else.
                      ​​​​.
                      What a strange statement.

Comment

Originally posted by smj View Post
                        I am struggling with the fact Crouser is devalued because his 23.30 and 23.15 came after the 23.37. Change the order of meets and he gets 3 WRs.
                        Same with Rojas who jumped 15.52m after her 15.67m jump

Comment

That can be solved by simply comparing the number of marks each has beyond the record at the beginning of the year.

I am torn between Rojas and ETH, to be honest. This is a tough year for the ranking panel, for sure.

Comment

I think it also was the shock value of the person's performance. We expected it from Rojas...she has gone close to those numbers before. What ETH did in Tokyo and after was simply astonishing especially in Eugene (that was not expected). Warholm was a dead cert.
                            Apparently Ignorance is bliss

Comment

Both are deserving, although I would absolutely choose Crouser over Warholm for AOY, with KW having the POY, if not the POD thus far.

On the distaff side, it is for me more difficult, and ETH is certainly a deserving winner. I think being undefeated is important, but not everything. SAFP is an all-time great in her own right, and I am glad the two of them push each other.

Comment

I would have had Kipyegon first followed by Thompson-Herah. Kipyegon remains the most ridiculously underrated athlete I have seen in a half century following this sport. She routinely takes the best shot from other greats like Dibaba and Hassan then methodically wears them down. Hassan is so intimidated by Kipyegon that she totally alters her racing style against against Kipyegon and no one else. You can put world record holders like Gidey out there and Hassan doesn't care at all. Only Kipyegon is in her head.

That type of thing is worth a heck of a lot more to me than some jumper or thrower who is simply better than anyone else. And same dynamic with Thompson-Herah. How soon we forget that Fraser-Pryce was being touted as certainty in Tokyo accompanied by career comparisons to Bolt. Thompson-Herah wiped all of that out by daylight. The stunned deflated look on Fraser-Pryce's face was just like Hassan after dealing with Kipyegon.

Hassan's perceived terrorization by Kipyegon is more important than anything Elaine did. How about the socks Siffan wears when she races someone? Is that critically underrated too?

Comment

Working...
                                X