Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be the female athlete of the year?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • bobguild76
    replied
    Originally posted by Liuxuan_rol View Post
    Rojas will surely get it

    Has Shelly Ann Fraser had the strongest ever season ranked #2 in an event?

    Probably second best season ever behind ETH
    In the women's 100m, maybe. But on the men's side, Ovett's 1981 season was amazing, with a mile WR and the year's fastest 1500, only to rank #2.

    Leave a comment:


  • treadwater1
    replied
    Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
    Who voted? If it's the fans, they're biased in favor of track events over field events.
    The vote is made up the WA council (50%), social media votes and votes from the athletics family (25% each). I think that Rojas winning in 2020 and ETH not winning in 2016 played a part

    Leave a comment:


  • 18.99s
    replied
    Who voted? If it's the fans, they're biased in favor of track events over field events.

    Leave a comment:


  • Paced
    replied
    I can understand Warholm (although I personally thought Crouser had the better overall season) but ETH over Rojas is confusing to me. Looking at the season in its entirely, Rojas was dominant the entire way through. The first half of ETH's season was actually relatively poor.

    Leave a comment:


  • 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by J Rorick View Post

    I'd say Muhammad's 2021 season might challenge SAFP. Gidey, too.
    SAFP gets the edge for having beaten the #1 in her event, which DM never did this year.

    Leave a comment:


  • J Rorick
    replied
    Originally posted by Liuxuan_rol View Post
    Rojas will surely get it

    Has Shelly Ann Fraser had the strongest ever season ranked #2 in an event?

    Probably second best season ever behind ETH
    I'd say Muhammad's 2021 season might challenge SAFP. Gidey, too.

    Leave a comment:


  • 1.609
    replied
    Originally posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    I would have had Kipyegon first followed by Thompson-Herah. Kipyegon remains the most ridiculously underrated athlete I have seen in a half century following this sport. She routinely takes the best shot from other greats like Dibaba and Hassan then methodically wears them down. Hassan is so intimidated by Kipyegon that she totally alters her racing style against against Kipyegon and no one else. You can put world record holders like Gidey out there and Hassan doesn't care at all. Only Kipyegon is in her head.

    That type of thing is worth a heck of a lot more to me than some jumper or thrower who is simply better than anyone else. And same dynamic with Thompson-Herah. How soon we forget that Fraser-Pryce was being touted as certainty in Tokyo accompanied by career comparisons to Bolt. Thompson-Herah wiped all of that out by daylight. The stunned deflated look on Fraser-Pryce's face was just like Hassan after dealing with Kipyegon.

    Hassan's perceived terrorization by Kipyegon is more important than anything Elaine did. How about the socks Siffan wears when she races someone? Is that critically underrated too?

    Leave a comment:


  • bobguild76
    replied
    Both are deserving, although I would absolutely choose Crouser over Warholm for AOY, with KW having the POY, if not the POD thus far.

    On the distaff side, it is for me more difficult, and ETH is certainly a deserving winner. I think being undefeated is important, but not everything. SAFP is an all-time great in her own right, and I am glad the two of them push each other.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr Lover Lover
    replied
    I think it also was the shock value of the person's performance. We expected it from Rojas...she has gone close to those numbers before. What ETH did in Tokyo and after was simply astonishing especially in Eugene (that was not expected). Warholm was a dead cert.

    Leave a comment:


  • KevinR
    replied
    That can be solved by simply comparing the number of marks each has beyond the record at the beginning of the year.

    I am torn between Rojas and ETH, to be honest. This is a tough year for the ranking panel, for sure.

    Leave a comment:


  • ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by smj View Post
    I am struggling with the fact Crouser is devalued because his 23.30 and 23.15 came after the 23.37. Change the order of meets and he gets 3 WRs.
    Same with Rojas who jumped 15.52m after her 15.67m jump

    Leave a comment:


  • Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    That type of thing is worth a heck of a lot more to me than some jumper or thrower who is simply better than anyone else.
    ​​​​.
    What a strange statement.

    Leave a comment:


  • gh
    replied
    Originally posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    I would have had Kipyegon first followed by Thompson-Herah. Kipyegon remains the most ridiculously underrated athlete I have seen in a half century following this sport. She routinely takes the best shot from other greats like Dibaba and Hassan then methodically wears them down. Hassan is so intimidated by Kipyegon that she totally alters her racing style against against Kipyegon and no one else. ....
    You make it sound as if Kipyegon has complete ownage of Hassan: her lifetime edge is only 10-6

    Leave a comment:


  • smj
    replied
    I am struggling with the fact Crouser is devalued because his 23.30 and 23.15 came after the 23.37. Change the order of meets and he gets 3 WRs.

    Leave a comment:


  • 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    How soon we forget that Fraser-Pryce was being touted as certainty in Tokyo accompanied by career comparisons to Bolt.
    She was the favorite to win in Tokyo, but nobody here was touting her as a certainty.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X