Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild Card Effect on Eugene WCT

So, since these athletes have Wild Cards to the WC (but have to run 'something' at the Trials (USATF)), how will that affect the individual events?

m100 - Coleman may still want to compete all-out as rust-buster, or only the first round, so he doesn't have to be peaked here.
    Kerley - if CC is all-out and finishes top-3, then Kerley gets the bye, but he won't know that beforehand (presumably), so he'll assume he's running for a spot.

m200 - Lyles may want to use this bye to focus on the 100, where he has shown great promise.
    Bednarek won't be able to use the DL card.

m400 - Cherry would be smart to at least run the semis to show his cards to the relay selectors.

m800 - Brazier needs and wants this safety card, after this year's debacle, but here's hoping he wants needs the sharpening of an all-out effort here.

110H - I can't see Holloway backing down at all, but neither will Allen. There's a chance Allen may need it, given the vicissitudes of the event.

mPV - Kendricks won't need it or use it.

mTJ - Mr. Taylor has already shown his readiness to just go through the motions and will use this to peak for the WC.

mSP - Kovacs . . . see mPV

w400 - Hayes will like this and probably won't contest the Final (?).

100H - Ali might use it, but would probably rather mix it up with the other ladies.

w400H - I could see Muhammad using hers to try and gain an edge on Sydney.

wSP - Ewen will try to be top-3, but may end up needing it.

wHT - Price will win anyway.

Hep - K Williams will love having this in her back pocket, and may just contend selected events.

Did I miss anyone?

Valarie Allman?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Kerley - if CC is all-out and finishes top-3, then Kerley gets the bye, but he won't know that beforehand (presumably), so he'll assume he's running for a spot.
      Wait, thats not how it works. Kerley must finish top 3 (or 4th if Coleman runs and is top 3) or he doesn't get to run at worlds. If Kerley finishes 4th (or 5th) he's off the team.

The only situation where Kerley gets a bye is if Coleman decides to not run the 100m at Worlds for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        Valarie Allman?
        Ding, ding, ding!

wDT - Allman, like Kovacs and others, won't want or need it. . . . but it's still nice to have in the ol' back pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
          Wait, thats not how it works. Kerley must finish top 3 (or 4th if Coleman runs and is top 3) or he doesn't get to run at worlds. If Kerley finishes 4th (or 5th) he's off the team
          I thought that's exactly what I DID say. Did I misword it (totally possible!)?

Comment

I thought that's exactly what I DID say. Did I misword it (totally possible!)?
            Maybe Im-reading it wrong, but Im seeing your comment "if CC is all-out and finishes top-3, then Kerley gets the bye" as:

If Coleman runs all out and finishes top 3 in the 100m at USA Championships, Kerley gets a bye to the 2022 World Championships.

That is false.

Comment

If Coleman runs all out and finishes top 3 in the 100m at USA Championships, Kerley gets a bye to the 2022 World Championships.
              That is false.
              Oh, then I do NOT have the policy correct.
              We get up to four entries if we have a wild-card and 3 others are qualed. If CC is top-3, he doesn't use his, so Kerley can use his. That is NOT true?

Comment

Did I miss anyone?
                Crouser, perhaps the least likely to need it. (Of course, Kovacs's WC wild card outranks Crouser's DL wild card.)

Comment

Oh, then I do NOT have the policy correct.
                  We get up to four entries if we have a wild-card and 3 others are qualed. If CC is top-3, he doesn't use his, so Kerley can use his. That is NOT true?
                  Yea it's not true. The US gives wild card precedence to the reigning world champion over a Diamond League champion if both are Americans. Kerley, Bednarek, Allen and Crouser all MUST finish top 3 or they wont be in Eugene for Worlds (top 4 if world champ competes and is top 3)

Here is the rule from USATF noted in 2019 and was done since 2012 when World Athletics started giving the DL champion a wild card:

https://www.flipsnack.com/USATF/usat...full-view.html
                  "A 2019 Diamond League Champion who competes at the Selection Event, in events in which
                  the reigning World Champion is not a U.S. athlete, will receive an automatic wild-card bye into
                  the 2019 IAAF World Championships for the event in which he or she is the 2019 Diamond
                  League Champion, whether or not he or she has achieved the corresponding entry standard
                  "

Comment

Oh, I thought that if the WC Champ did not use his, i.e., finished top 3 anyway, then the DL champ could use his. Interesting.
                    I like my way better!

Comment

I like my way better!
                      Even better though, World Champion and DL champion BOTH get the wild card. Everyone else fighting for the remaining 2 spots.

Comment

Host nation also gets 1 entry per event, if they have no one qualified. Will help fill out the team in a few choice events.

Comment

Even better though, World Champion and DL champion BOTH get the wild card. Everyone else fighting for the remaining 2 spots.
                          That'd work too, though the DL champ is often a bit of an outlier, like Ewen this year.

The down-side is, of course, that the Trials get diluted by not having ALL the best there, vying for the win. I am willing to make that sacrifice (isn't that big of me?!) for a team composed of proven winners.

How about 'most recent Global medalists get a bye', but if a nation swept an event (w100 Jamaica) they get TWO more!
                          Last edited by Atticus; 09-24-2021, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Oh, I thought that if the WC Champ did not use his, i.e., finished top 3 anyway, then the DL champ could use his. Interesting.
                            I like my way better!
                            I think this is the likely outcome, even if not explicitly stated - I can’t see selectors choosing to leave a spot open, when the guy sitting at home is the current DL champion…

Comment

Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
                              I think this is the likely outcome, even if not explicitly stated - I can’t see selectors choosing to leave a spot open, when the guy sitting at home is the current DL champion…
                              Except the USA will have ample supply of 100m guys to choose from.

Comment

Working...
                              X