Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wild Card Effect on Eugene WCT

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by rsb3 View Post
    It seems interesting to think that either a) the date has not been confirmed yet for 2022, and/or b) no-one on this board knows of it !
    Seems that we've had this discussion before.

    NCAA ends June 12.
    WC begins July 15

    That leaves USATF for

    June 16-19, less than a week turn-around for collegians,
    or
    June 23-26, 3 weeks before WC. That sure seems like the way to go. Not great for the 10K or Multis, but doable.

    The latter date gives the team
    1 week to recover from the physical and mental toll of the Trials.
    1 week to do some medium training.
    1 week to re-peak.

    I thnk this will work in our favor, besides the obvious benefit of WC being on home (USA) ground and familiar turf. I like it.

    I'll be there!

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by rsb3 View Post
      It seems interesting to think that either a) the date has not been confirmed yet for 2022, and/or b) no-one on this board knows of it !
      you can't announce a site/date until contracts have been signed at both ends

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by rsb3 View Post
        It seems interesting to think that either a) the date has not been confirmed yet for 2022, and/or b) no-one on this board knows of it !
        I get all the relevant emails in town on schedules and nothing on the Nationals or Trials. Not even a whisper....

        BTW NCAAs ended June 12 and Trials started June 18th.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by gh View Post

          you can't announce a site/date until contracts have been signed at both ends
          Indeed.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by gh View Post
            you can't announce a site/date until contracts have been signed at both ends
            I guess there's no hurry when everyone knows the where and when, within a week's wiggle room, but I really can't see the earlier date.

            Comment


            • #36
              Top-3 contenders men collegians potentially screwed by the earlier date.

              Laird
              Ross
              Noah Wms
              Brandon Miller
              Nuguse
              Teare
              Mantz
              Selmon
              JuVaughn H
              Grimes
              T Washington
              Garland

              Comment


              • #37
                Yes the NCAAs and Trials being a week apart really hurt Cole Hocker....

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Top-3 contenders men collegians potentially screwed by the earlier date.

                  Laird
                  Ross
                  Noah Wms
                  Brandon Miller
                  Nuguse
                  Teare
                  Mantz
                  Selmon
                  JuVaughn H
                  Grimes
                  T Washington
                  Garland
                  A few of thoes names are pro already (few comments noted in your other thread). And this year showed the short turn around was actually an overall positive for the top NCAA contenders to do well at trials.

                  Mu, Hocker, Cockrell, Jewett, Deadmon, McCarter, Sullivan, Ross, Battle, Davis, Aquilla, Moore, Godwin, Nuguse, Harrison, Stewart + all the other names who did well and didnt make the team (ex Tamara Clark)
                  Last edited by ATK; 09-30-2021, 02:22 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Also Sturgis has gone pro (remember her?).

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                      Yes the NCAAs and Trials being a week apart really hurt Cole Hocker....
                      Super-talents find a way. m400 Ross could have used more rest, but he was so out there, he still made the team. We can find more names on the 'hurt' side, but we'll never know if they would have done any better with more rest, so we'll just assume that less than a week turn-around is less helpful than a week-and-half rest.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Super-talents find a way. m400 Ross could have used more rest, but he was so out there, he still made the team. We can find more names on the 'hurt' side, but we'll never know if they would have done any better with more rest, so we'll just assume that less than a week turn-around is less helpful than a week-and-half rest.
                        Compared to 2016, the short turn around in 2020 saw negligible overall change: https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...21#post1703921

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by ATK View Post
                          Compared to 2016, the short turn around in 2020 saw negligible overall change: https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...21#post1703921
                          Hard to draw conclusions from that sample, but wouldn't you think that an 11-day turn-around from NCAA to USATF is better than 4 days?
                          I would think that even the venue would want the breather!

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Hard to draw conclusions from that sample, but wouldn't you think that an 11-day turn-around from NCAA to USATF is better than 4 days?
                            The farther away the two meets are, the less likely I would be to bet on NCAA athletes making the team. If their goal was to peak for NCAAs, get them while they are still at their best.

                            I havent looked at 2019, but would be interested to see how NCAA athletes faired at US Trials so much later.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by ATK View Post
                              The farther away the two meets are, the less likely I would be to bet on NCAA athletes making the team. If their goal was to peak for NCAAs, get them while they are still at their best.
                              I agree that we shouldn't waste the peak, but I think their bodies and minds would appreciate a week-and-a half off. No need to do any more heavy training, just stay sharp and get some rest.

                              We'll see. I'm betting that gm's prediction of June 23-26 (week-and-a-half later) is what it is.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X