Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

There's world of difference between running 120 miles/week and racing 120 miles/week and anyone who has trained for distance running knows what I'm talking about.
    What ARE you talking about? Who said anyone is racing 120 miles a week? And who said you can run back to back marathons equally as fast as you can run one? However, an elite runner can certainly cover the distance in both races if they pace themselves properly.

Do you think Flanagan doesn't know the difference, because that's what she's attempting to do.

Comment

She runs 5 mins faster than yesterday and negative splits and beats Jordan Hasay too.
      Last edited by JMysterio; 10-11-2021, 04:23 PM.

Comment

There's world of difference between running 120 miles/week and racing 120 miles/week and anyone who has trained for distance running knows what I'm talking about.
        That's absolutely true. But, do you think Flanagan is racing these marathons? I would think she knows the difference between racing and running.

Comment

Originally posted by bobguild76 View Post

That's absolutely true. But, do you think Flanagan is racing these marathons? I would think she knows the difference between racing and running.
          'zackly. She's challenging herself. It was obvious from her even splits yesterday that the goal was to at least finish both races in an economical way and still run a respectable time. I'm certain she could've run low 2:30's and placed higher by just running one or the other but that wasn't the goal.

Comment

Originally posted by JMysterio View Post
            I'm certain she could've run low 2:30's and placed higher by just running one or the other but that wasn't the goal.
            Absolutely - and I certainly agree with this
            Originally posted by gh View Post
            this is one of the U.S.'s running legends, and her "fad" has done nothing but generate positive coverage for the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by JMysterio View Post

What ARE you talking about? Who said anyone is racing 120 miles a week? And who said you can run back to back marathons equally as fast as you can run one? However, an elite runner can certainly cover the distance in both races if they pace themselves properly.

Do you think Flanagan doesn't know the difference, because that's what she's attempting to do.
              I'm sure she knows the difference. The fact that she ran Boston 6 minutes faster than Chicago indicates she was holding back in Chicago.

Comment

I'm sure she knows the difference. The fact that she ran Boston 6 minutes faster than Chicago indicates she was holding back in Chicago.
                or that Chicago's weather was much tougher

Comment

I so wish I could get excited about marathons.

Comment

That was previously mentioned before Boston when she ran even splits in Chicago.
                    Last edited by JMysterio; 10-13-2021, 12:57 AM.

Comment

I finally got to watch the DVR yesterday (easy to avoid the results) and was taken aback by commentator Chris Waddel's avoiding the question as to if Marcel Hug had an advantage over the other wheelchair racers. He didn't answer except to say that the cost would come down and the others would than be able to get it. As reported in T&FN, some guy gets DQ'd from "winning" a marathon in Europe because the soles of his shoes were slightly too thick, but Hug has a new racing chair available to no one else and its O.K. [I still don't know what happened in Boston].

Comment

I'm probably the last one to think about this, but for the first time watching the Chi Marathon I wondered why wheelchair racing isn't coupled with cycling? It's one thing to introduce other variables to a running race that are perambulating (walking, varying the terrain like hill climbing), but wheelchair is basically cycling with your arms and answers to pretty much all of the variables of cycling in terms of equipment and tactics, everything but the team aspect. Okay, the 26 miles distance is more conducive to wheelchair than a 120 mile single day cycling race, but that's about all I can think of.
                        The running community has kind of embraced the wheelchair event, would cycling do the same?

Comment

They were controversial from the beginning....

RACERS' WHEELCHAIR BAN BACKED

Feb. 19, 1982

Organizers of the New York City Marathon are under ''no legal compulsion'' to open their annual fall foot race to participants in wheelchairs or to skateboarders, the State Court of Appeals ruled today.

In a 5-to-1 decision, the court, the state's highest, backed the legality of the New York Roadrunners Club's marathon foot race, which was ''a historically rooted athletic event.''
                          ''It required participants to use only their feet, and not wheelchairs, skateboards, bicycles or other extraneous aids,'' said the court. The court found that the club's rules did not ''constitute an unlawful discriminatory practice.''

Case Goes Back to 1978

The case stemmed from a 1978 request by Robert Hall, a disabled man who wanted to compete in a wheelchair in the 26-mile, 385-yard race. According to court papers, the president of the Roadrunners Club, Fred Lebow, told Mr. Hall, ''We must turn down your entry and those of any other athletes in wheelchairs.''

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/02/19/n...an-backed.html

Comment

Originally posted by Steele View Post
                            I'm probably the last one to think about this, but for the first time watching the Chi Marathon I wondered why wheelchair racing isn't coupled with cycling? It's one thing to introduce other variables to a running race that are perambulating (walking, varying the terrain like hill climbing), but wheelchair is basically cycling with your arms and answers to pretty much all of the variables of cycling in terms of equipment and tactics, everything but the team aspect. Okay, the 26 miles distance is more conducive to wheelchair than a 120 mile single day cycling race, but that's about all I can think of.
                            The running community has kind of embraced the wheelchair event, would cycling do the same?
                            My sentiments exactly, that being on wheels it's more like cycling than running (or race walking).

Comment

For what it's worth, some of the leading British wheelchair racers readily admit that, in terms of tactics, it is more akin to cycling than running

Comment

Especially drafting...a big deal at those speeds.

Comment

Working...
                                X