Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first Pro Boston Marathon in 1986 had a huge crash on that downhill start.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post

My sentiments exactly, that being on wheels it's more like cycling than running (or race walking).
      I'll disagree with this. the push rim wheelchair races more analogous to running than cycling. I've seen hand cycle athletes in marathons/HMs ive run, but i've also seen hand cycles having their own division at bicycle races. I'd say that these are more like cycling as they have gears and a drivetrain other than just pushing on the wheels with your hands. Obviously the effort to complete a marathon isn't the same as on foot given the speeds and times that the wheelchair athletes achieve, but hey, the roads are closed anyway, and the best athletes won't interfere with runners and vice versa, so wheelchair divisions of marathons make a lot of sense. unlike cycling, you can't shift into an easier gear go push the wheelchair up the hills.

Comment

Originally posted by Merner521 View Post

the roads are closed anyway, and the best athletes won't interfere with runners and vice versa
        Tiki Gelana may disagree with you.

Josh Cassidy Collision with Elite Females during 2013 London Marathon (trackie.com)

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
          In London now, the wheelchair racers start before (5 minutes?) the elite women.

Comment

I admire the grit and athleticism of wheelchair racers but they do not belong in a foot race.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
              They were controversial from the beginning....

RACERS' WHEELCHAIR BAN BACKED

Feb. 19, 1982

Organizers of the New York City Marathon are under ''no legal compulsion'' to open their annual fall foot race to participants in wheelchairs or to skateboarders, the State Court of Appeals ruled today.

In a 5-to-1 decision, the court, the state's highest, backed the legality of the New York Roadrunners Club's marathon foot race, which was ''a historically rooted athletic event.''
              ''It required participants to use only their feet, and not wheelchairs, skateboards, bicycles or other extraneous aids,'' said the court. The court found that the club's rules did not ''constitute an unlawful discriminatory practice.''

Case Goes Back to 1978

The case stemmed from a 1978 request by Robert Hall, a disabled man who wanted to compete in a wheelchair in the 26-mile, 385-yard race. According to court papers, the president of the Roadrunners Club, Fred Lebow, told Mr. Hall, ''We must turn down your entry and those of any other athletes in wheelchairs.''

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/02/19/n...an-backed.html
              I think that Fred (and the NYRR) exclusion of wheelchairs in their races was a personal issue with Fred. Prior to the ban I was at a race in Penn. with Fred where Bob Hall was competing. That night there was a party that included music and dancing. Even though Bob had a disability, he was out of his chair dancing. Fred was very upset about it and shared his thoughts with me.

Comment

Originally posted by measurer View Post

I think that Fred (and the NYRR) exclusion of wheelchairs in their races was a personal issue with Fred. Prior to the ban I was at a race in Penn. with Fred where Bob Hall was competing. That night there was a party that included music and dancing. Even though Bob had a disability, he was out of his chair dancing. Fred was very upset about it and shared his thoughts with me.
                I remember Lebow being very animated about the subject at the time. The Hall story is new to me. I had no idea. I talked to Hall at a party after Boston in 1986.

Comment

Meanwhile....

Galen Rupp plans to run the marathon at next summer's World Championships in Eugene, according to his agent. Men's marathon is July 17, women's is July 18. Both races start at 6:15 am.

https://mobile.twitter.com/slorgebut...53586459418628

Comment

Working...
                  X