X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Meanwhile....

Galen Rupp plans to run the marathon at next summer's World Championships in Eugene, according to his agent. Men's marathon is July 17, women's is July 18. Both races start at 6:15 am.

https://mobile.twitter.com/slorgebut...53586459418628

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by measurer View Post

I think that Fred (and the NYRR) exclusion of wheelchairs in their races was a personal issue with Fred. Prior to the ban I was at a race in Penn. with Fred where Bob Hall was competing. That night there was a party that included music and dancing. Even though Bob had a disability, he was out of his chair dancing. Fred was very upset about it and shared his thoughts with me.
    I remember Lebow being very animated about the subject at the time. The Hall story is new to me. I had no idea. I talked to Hall at a party after Boston in 1986.

Leave a comment:

• measurer
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    They were controversial from the beginning....

RACERS' WHEELCHAIR BAN BACKED

Feb. 19, 1982

Organizers of the New York City Marathon are under ''no legal compulsion'' to open their annual fall foot race to participants in wheelchairs or to skateboarders, the State Court of Appeals ruled today.

In a 5-to-1 decision, the court, the state's highest, backed the legality of the New York Roadrunners Club's marathon foot race, which was ''a historically rooted athletic event.''
    ''It required participants to use only their feet, and not wheelchairs, skateboards, bicycles or other extraneous aids,'' said the court. The court found that the club's rules did not ''constitute an unlawful discriminatory practice.''

Case Goes Back to 1978

The case stemmed from a 1978 request by Robert Hall, a disabled man who wanted to compete in a wheelchair in the 26-mile, 385-yard race. According to court papers, the president of the Roadrunners Club, Fred Lebow, told Mr. Hall, ''We must turn down your entry and those of any other athletes in wheelchairs.''

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/02/19/n...an-backed.html
    I think that Fred (and the NYRR) exclusion of wheelchairs in their races was a personal issue with Fred. Prior to the ban I was at a race in Penn. with Fred where Bob Hall was competing. That night there was a party that included music and dancing. Even though Bob had a disability, he was out of his chair dancing. Fred was very upset about it and shared his thoughts with me.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I admire the grit and athleticism of wheelchair racers but they do not belong in a foot race.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    In London now, the wheelchair racers start before (5 minutes?) the elite women.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Originally posted by Merner521 View Post

the roads are closed anyway, and the best athletes won't interfere with runners and vice versa
    Tiki Gelana may disagree with you.

Josh Cassidy Collision with Elite Females during 2013 London Marathon (trackie.com)

Leave a comment:

• Merner521
    replied
    Originally posted by KDFINE View Post

My sentiments exactly, that being on wheels it's more like cycling than running (or race walking).
    I'll disagree with this. the push rim wheelchair races more analogous to running than cycling. I've seen hand cycle athletes in marathons/HMs ive run, but i've also seen hand cycles having their own division at bicycle races. I'd say that these are more like cycling as they have gears and a drivetrain other than just pushing on the wheels with your hands. Obviously the effort to complete a marathon isn't the same as on foot given the speeds and times that the wheelchair athletes achieve, but hey, the roads are closed anyway, and the best athletes won't interfere with runners and vice versa, so wheelchair divisions of marathons make a lot of sense. unlike cycling, you can't shift into an easier gear go push the wheelchair up the hills.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    The first Pro Boston Marathon in 1986 had a huge crash on that downhill start.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Especially drafting...a big deal at those speeds.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    For what it's worth, some of the leading British wheelchair racers readily admit that, in terms of tactics, it is more akin to cycling than running

Leave a comment:

• KDFINE
    replied
    Originally posted by Steele View Post
    I'm probably the last one to think about this, but for the first time watching the Chi Marathon I wondered why wheelchair racing isn't coupled with cycling? It's one thing to introduce other variables to a running race that are perambulating (walking, varying the terrain like hill climbing), but wheelchair is basically cycling with your arms and answers to pretty much all of the variables of cycling in terms of equipment and tactics, everything but the team aspect. Okay, the 26 miles distance is more conducive to wheelchair than a 120 mile single day cycling race, but that's about all I can think of.
    The running community has kind of embraced the wheelchair event, would cycling do the same?
    My sentiments exactly, that being on wheels it's more like cycling than running (or race walking).

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    They were controversial from the beginning....

RACERS' WHEELCHAIR BAN BACKED

Feb. 19, 1982

Organizers of the New York City Marathon are under ''no legal compulsion'' to open their annual fall foot race to participants in wheelchairs or to skateboarders, the State Court of Appeals ruled today.

In a 5-to-1 decision, the court, the state's highest, backed the legality of the New York Roadrunners Club's marathon foot race, which was ''a historically rooted athletic event.''
    ''It required participants to use only their feet, and not wheelchairs, skateboards, bicycles or other extraneous aids,'' said the court. The court found that the club's rules did not ''constitute an unlawful discriminatory practice.''

Case Goes Back to 1978

The case stemmed from a 1978 request by Robert Hall, a disabled man who wanted to compete in a wheelchair in the 26-mile, 385-yard race. According to court papers, the president of the Roadrunners Club, Fred Lebow, told Mr. Hall, ''We must turn down your entry and those of any other athletes in wheelchairs.''

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/02/19/n...an-backed.html

Leave a comment:

• Steele
    replied
    I'm probably the last one to think about this, but for the first time watching the Chi Marathon I wondered why wheelchair racing isn't coupled with cycling? It's one thing to introduce other variables to a running race that are perambulating (walking, varying the terrain like hill climbing), but wheelchair is basically cycling with your arms and answers to pretty much all of the variables of cycling in terms of equipment and tactics, everything but the team aspect. Okay, the 26 miles distance is more conducive to wheelchair than a 120 mile single day cycling race, but that's about all I can think of.
    The running community has kind of embraced the wheelchair event, would cycling do the same?

Leave a comment:

• KDFINE
    replied
    I finally got to watch the DVR yesterday (easy to avoid the results) and was taken aback by commentator Chris Waddel's avoiding the question as to if Marcel Hug had an advantage over the other wheelchair racers. He didn't answer except to say that the cost would come down and the others would than be able to get it. As reported in T&FN, some guy gets DQ'd from "winning" a marathon in Europe because the soles of his shoes were slightly too thick, but Hug has a new racing chair available to no one else and its O.K. [I still don't know what happened in Boston].

Leave a comment:

• JMysterio
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

I'm sure she knows the difference. The fact that she ran Boston 6 minutes faster than Chicago indicates she was holding back in Chicago.
    That was previously mentioned before Boston when she ran even splits in Chicago.
    Last edited by JMysterio; 10-13-2021, 01:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X