X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WC Eugene22 USA Marathon Team

I snipped this from another thread.

Q
    Speaking of Marathons, how will Team USA runners be selected for Eugene WC 22?

A
    I'm guessing something similar to what they did for 2019.
    https://www.usatf.org/events/2019/ia...-championships (click the link for "Marathon Athlete Selection Procedure")

The three (3) US athletes for the 2019 IAAF World Championships men’s and women’s marathons will be selected from the three (3) highest placing performances, based on marks set on IAAF-approved courses*, for the period March 7, 2018 through May 5, 2019 inclusive, who accept a position on the team, and provided that each selectee has met at least the IAAF World Championships qualifying standards of 2:16:00 for men and 2:37:00 for women.

Ok, so that would be

2:11:41 Galen RUPP Sapporo 08 AUG
    2:14:29 CJ ALBERTSON Duluth 19 JUN
    2:16:26 Joseph WHELAN Duluth 19 JUN
    After today, it's

​​​​​​Rupp 2:06:35
    Mickow 2:13:31
    Montanez 2:13:55

Women

Bates 2:24:20
    Hall, S 2:27:19
    Seidel 2:27:46
    Last edited by Atticus; 10-10-2021, 03:37 PM.

So basically Rupp.

Comment

I don't know who will be running in Boston or NYC. But neither is a fast course. It's possible that some unknown can post a fast time on a flat course and get into the top three. (I don't think 2:13 will hold up there.)

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
        I don't know who will be running in Boston or NYC. But neither is a fast course. It's possible that some unknown can post a fast time on a flat course and get into the top three. (I don't think 2:13 will hold up there.)
        The policy does seem conducive to a dedicated effort by someone to find a fast course and go for a 2:10-2:11 time that would hold up.

There are TWENTY USA guys who ran that fast in 2019/20.
        Last edited by Atticus; 10-10-2021, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Rupp is clearly a lock now. Sad that there is no one really outstanding after him.
          Last edited by Juicy News; 10-10-2021, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Juicy News View Post
            Rupp is clearly a lock now. Sad that's there is no one really outstanding after him.
            I predict we have at least TWO more sub-2:10s pop up this fall/winter, not that a 2:08 is causing any Africans to quake in their Vapor-Flys.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              After today, it's

​​​​​​Rupp 2:06:35
              Mickow 2:13:31
              Montanez 2:13:55

Women

Seidel 2:27:46
              Boston - Collin Bennie 2:11:26 and CJ Albertson 2:11:43
              Rojas 2:27:12

so

Rupp 2:06:35
              Collin Bennie 2:11:26
              CJ Albertson 2:11:43

Rojas 2:27:12

It's an objective meritocracy, but no two marathons are even close to being the same.

Comment

It's an objective meritocracy, but no two marathons are even close to being the same.
                My understanding is that Boston times are included in the WA rankings but the points assigned to the performances are adjusted for the elevation drop.

I would interpret the language from 2019: "highest placing performances, based on marks set on IAAF-approved* courses" to include the possibility of such adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by player View Post
                  points assigned to the performances are adjusted for the elevation drop.
                  If the wind is from the southwest, that could really help the times!

Comment

If the wind is from the southwest, that could really help the times!
                    Yes, and that's why Boston, and other point-to-point courses, are not eligible for world records.

Comment

The Chicago and Boston performances have now been included in the WA rankings.

There are two levels of adjustment to the raw times. As mentioned, the Boston times are assigned reduced points because of the course elevation drop. And times from both races are adjusted by what WA calls the "placing score", which is based on how WA rates the competition level of the event and where you finish.

The net is that Colin Mickow gets a higher score for his Chicago performance than Bennie/Albertson get for their Boston performances, despite the slower raw time.

Current top three highest WA marathon performance scores in the hypothesized qualifying window by American men:

Rupp 1353
                      Mickow 1175
                      Bennie 1170

Comment

Originally posted by player
                        The net is that Colin Mickow gets a higher score for his Chicago performance than Bennie/Albertson get for their Boston performances, despite the slower raw time.
                        Current top three highest WA marathon performance scores in the hypothesized qualifying window by American men:
                        Rupp 1353
                        Mickow 1175
                        Bennie 1170
                        Thanks for providing the missing piece to my puzzle!

Comment

Other than Rupp it doesn't matter who runs...

Comment

Thanks for providing the missing piece to my puzzle!
                            You're welcome, and thanks for the inspiration to figure out how the ranking system works, which transcends the passing relevance of the names of the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                              Other than Rupp it doesn't matter who runs...
                              It sure matters to those runners, their coaches, families and friends.

Comment

Working...
                              X