Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Cain files lawsuit against Nike & Salazar

For TWENTY MILLION dollars!!!!!
    For all the shit he & they heaped upon her teenaged soul & body!
    For all those now being abused by a coach!
    For her inner peace and a healthy body!

THANK YOU, Mary!
    No matter the outcome, you've already won Gold!!

The CAS & SafeSport decisions should be helpful.

Comment

LOL! Typical in a number of ways.

Comment

Is she suing her parents?

Comment

Doubt it will ever see a courtroom.

“Salazar told her that she was too fat and that her breasts and bottom were too big,” the lawsuit alleges.

Well, she can't accuse him of being indirect. Doubtless many coaches, male and female, have found it necessary to point out to their charges the correlation between weight and performance. The above approach is at the margin of one end of the spectrum.
          Last edited by Steele; 10-13-2021, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steele View Post

“Salazar told her that she was too fat and that her breasts and bottom were too big,” the lawsuit alleges.

Well, she can't accuse him of being indirect. Doubtless many coaches, male and female, have found it necessary to point out to their charges the correlation between weight and performance. The above approach is at the margin of one end of the spectrum.
            Salazar's words & actions was the sole cause of Cain's FIVE broken bones, THREE years of missed periods, CUTTING herself because her legs wouldn't run faster, SUICIDAL thoughts, and SIX YEARS of either sub-par running or NO running!
            He gave her NON-prescrption pills which caused all of this!
            He SHAMED her in PUBLIC while a TEENAGER!!

He completely RUINED the career of a girl who had SMASHED ELEVEN HSR's in one year!!

She should have sued this vile sexist hatemonger for TWO HUNDRED MILLION, not $20M!!!

Comment

If she was always likely to not have the physique required to be a truly world-class middle and long distance runner then Nike and Salazar have been at the least incompetent by putting her on the special fast-track scheme she was on.

If she was gaining wait because she was over-eating, or late puberty, then the way to deal with that with a teenage female is not to shame them in front of others. Such antics do not belong in the 21st century!

Comment

Doubtless many coaches, male and female, have found it necessary to point out to their charges the correlation between weight and performance. The above approach is at the margin of one end of the spectrum.
                I never had a boy with weight issues. I assumed that the T they were getting so much of naturally was giving them more muscle mass, but I definitely had to deal with that often with female hurdlers/jumpers (the distance athletes were coached by a woman, thank goodness). I NEVER raised the issue, but they knew and they sometimes wanted to talk about it. My standard response was some weight gain was necessary, since we were lifting and doing plyos. Beyond that I suggested that the lady coach might have more specific advice.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post

Salazar's words & actions was the sole cause of Cain's FIVE broken bones, THREE years of missed periods, CUTTING herself because her legs wouldn't run faster, SUICIDAL thoughts, and SIX YEARS of either sub-par running or NO running!
                  He gave her NON-prescrption pills which caused all of this!
                  He SHAMED her in PUBLIC while a TEENAGER!!

He completely RUINED the career of a girl who had SMASHED ELEVEN HSR's in one year!!

She should have sued this vile sexist hatemonger for TWO HUNDRED MILLION, not $20M!!!
                  Asterisks galore aside, you or we don't really know any of this to be provable or true.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    I never had a boy with weight issues. I assumed that the T they were getting so much of naturally was giving them more muscle mass, but I definitely had to deal with that often with female hurdlers/jumpers (the distance athletes were coached by a woman, thank goodness). I NEVER raised the issue, but they knew and they sometimes wanted to talk about it. My standard response was some weight gain was necessary, since we were lifting and doing plyos. Beyond that I suggested that the lady coach might have more specific advice.
                    I've been around a number of boys and young men who've needed to lose weight because of weight requirements or the coach felt the athlete would run better at a lighter weight. This was all spoken about publicly and, in some cases, long before eating disorders were a public concern.

Whether this situation should be handled differently for girls/women is up to debate I guess.

The lawsuit will be settled out of court for a variety of reasons....some of which may not be what the plaintiff would want to hear.

Comment

Coached a co-ed high school team and no doubt weight issues were more common with the girls. And it went a lot deeper than just running. I would hear the girls talk about opponents or even a teammate and there was a lot of body shaming; this runner was fat or this one was bulimic. Some girls were very self conscious about their physiques not only in the sport but in school and everyday life. You definitely saw the girls physically change as they got older and in most cases they got slower because while the boys would put on lean muscle, the girls increased their fat storage.

I stayed away from the issue and I still don't think there's a good way to deal with it or if it should be dealt with at all, even if the runner asks about it. If a runner asked if they needed more speed work or more upper body strength I could address that, or perhaps just to suggest enhancing overall conditioning. Or if they were not feeling well I might suggest talking to their parents about a doctor visit. But I'm not qualified to talk about what weight a runner should be or create a specific program to control weight.

Also, is it not just the Cain/weight issue with Saladbar? Wasn't he also accused by both men and women of micro-dosing? Wasn't that what really got him busted?

Comment

Originally posted by JMysterio View Post
                        Also, is it not just the Cain/weight issue with Saladbar? Wasn't he also accused by both men and women of micro-dosing? Wasn't that what really got him busted?
                        I could be wrong, but I don't recall any credible charges in that regard.

Comment

Remember the movie McFarland USA?
                          Remember the overweight kid (he looked like one of those 5 hour marathoners you see in Boston or NYC!) who helped the team win the championship?

As for Mary being overweight, I've never seen a picture of her---even since 2015---that didn't look like she always has!!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                            Remember the movie McFarland USA?
                            Remember the overweight kid (he looked like one of those 5 hour marathoners you see in Boston or NYC!) who helped the team win the championship?
                            Fake. Hollywood made him fat to enhance the story. He weighed 110 pounds in reality. However, it is true he wasn't expected to figure in the team scoring.

https://ca.milesplit.com/articles/28...act-vs-fiction

Comment

The only advice I've ever given to young females on this issue is to weigh themselves every day and keep it to themselves, so at least they'll have an idea what's going on with their bodies.

Comment

Working...
                              X