Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's the future of the Commonwealth Games?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rsb3 View Post
    So much nonsense on this thread, especially from those from That Country that thinks, "if we're not in it, it doesn't count", or something
    like that. We all agree that there needs to be some adjustments to the CG, we only seem to disagree on whether it's worth trying to make
    those adjustments, or just cancel the whole thing. Count me in the former category, I still firmly believe that those years, where there is no
    World Championships, or Olympic Games, i.e. /2026/2030, etc., the CG can be a great Track Meet, if scheduled and presented properly.
    And, I believe that, with the various ways and means under consideration, to make the Games more affordable, there will be a large number
    of countries/cities in the Commonwealth interested in hosting, and presenting our sport and a few others to their country and the World ! We'll
    see how that works out ....
    Regarding colonialisation, membership is not compulsory. If the member states wanted to sever themselves from the historical colonial aggressor, then they could just have nothing to do with it, just a like a certain north american nation that is eligible for membership...

The games have only been held outside of a white, wealthy nation three times; Jamaica '66, Malaysia '98 and India '10. While this is good for the smaller and poorer nations it doesn't allow mid-tier nations to participate in the hosting.

Jamaica did a bang up job in 1966 by all accounts but there is no way they could afford to host a modern high cost games. But I'm sure they could once again host a stripped down version of the games, especially if it was a West Indies+ bid.

Comment

And, of course, it was meant to be in South Africa this time...

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post

The games have only been held outside of a white, wealthy nation three times; Jamaica '66, Malaysia '98 and India '10. While this is good for the smaller and poorer nations it doesn't allow mid-tier nations to participate in the hosting.
        The Commonwealth Youth Games are a good match for smaller, poorer nations. Host nations to date include Isle of Man, Bahamas and Samoa with Trinidad & Tobago due to host the postponed 2021 event.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
          It's time to put and end to the CWG. The interest level from fans and athletes isn't what it used to be (look at how many top athletes skip it), and these days we don't need a grandiose celebration of colonization.
          For consistency, you would have to say the same about the Ibero-American Champs, although that is just track & field. Colonization is the reason all those Latin American countries speak Spanish or Portuguese.

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post
            Regarding colonialisation, membership is not compulsory. If the member states wanted to sever themselves from the historical colonial aggressor, then they could just have nothing to do with it, just a like a certain north american nation that is eligible for membership...
            Ireland is a notable example of a country that opted to leave sometime after independence. Under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement, all athletes from Northern Ireland can opt to compete for the UK or Ireland. Consequently, you do get some athletes who compete for NI at the Commonwealths but for Ireland at the Olympics, Worlds, Europeans etc.

Comment

Next years CWG are being held in my home town. Whilst I am fiercely patriotic of my city, parts of it are total shite and a dump, and believe me, where the aquatics centre is.....urgh, vile. I hope broadcasters dont show the surrounding area!

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
                Next years CWG are being held in my home town. Whilst I am fiercely patriotic of my city, parts of it are total shite and a dump, and believe me, where the aquatics centre is.....urgh, vile. I hope broadcasters dont show the surrounding area!
                I see it's in Smethwick. This is an area I don't know but I always pronounce in my attempt at a Birmingham accent.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

For consistency, you would have to say the same about the Ibero-American Champs, although that is just track & field. Colonization is the reason all those Latin American countries speak Spanish or Portuguese.
                  Ditto the French Speaking Games, the last edition of which had 4000 competitors to the CWGs 4500-5000, but doesn’t attract the same attention

Comment

Whether they want to drop it or keep it, I don't care. I'm not Ibero-American, I never watched it, I don't know what it means to them, I don't have a dog in that fight. But I am from a Commonwealth country (Jamaica) so I'll comment on the Commonwealth Games.

Comment

I see it's in Smethwick. This is an area I don't know but I always pronounce in my attempt at a Birmingham accent.
                      Strictly speaking yep, it's in the large B67 (Smethwick) postcode, but locally we'd say it's Londonderry/Langley.

If you ever watched Victoria Wood, there was a good sketch where this thickly Birmingham accented woman, wants to "open a convent in Smethwick". Twas funny in context, I promise.

Of course, it's infamous for other things: Sir Oswald Mosely being it's MP (the founder of the British Union of Fascists) back when it was a respectable area (yes, ironic) , and then the turbulent politics of the 1960's with Malcolm X's visit, and the awful racist slogans the Conservative Party used.

Comment

The Commonwealth games is an event that many athletes highly look forward to. They have modernized it by introducing sports like rugby 7s and basketball. They can go further and introduce indoor volleyball. They had cricket a while back. It did not work. I would strongly consider football for players under 21. It would draw a larger TV audience than Lawn bowls, mountain biking and many of the other sports.

Imperialism is a non-issue. The only short term threat I see is Covid 19.
                        Last edited by mungo man; 10-18-2021, 02:56 PM.

Comment

If you ever watched Victoria Wood, there was a good sketch where this thickly Birmingham accented woman, wants to "open a convent in Smethwick". Twas funny in context, I promise.
                          I did like Victoria Wood and maybe she may have influenced me in some way to always think of Smethwick in a Brummie accent. Then again, I tend to do the same for Erdington, an area I do know a little.

Comment

Whilst I am fiercely patriotic of my city, parts of it are total shite and a dump, and believe me, where the aquatics centre is.....urgh, vile. I hope broadcasters dont show the surrounding area!
                            Surely one of the benefits of hosting an event like the CG is that it can bring urban renewal to a city or part of it?

Comment

Ireland is a notable example of a country that opted to leave sometime after independence. Under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement, all athletes from Northern Ireland can opt to compete for the UK or Ireland. Consequently, you do get some athletes who compete for NI at the Commonwealths but for Ireland at the Olympics, Worlds, Europeans etc.
                              The ROI is about the only member to stay out permanently, with others leaving and coming back. Of course, there are other nations eligible to join that have never been members.

The Commonwealth of Nations, the spawner of Commonwealth Games Foundation membership, is reasonably active and dynamic for an international organisation with suspensions and withdrawals occurring around human rights and domocracy issues and recent interest in joining. A non-exhaustive list includes:
                              • South Africa not a member and/or suspended, back in since 1994
                              • Zimbabwe pulled out of the Commonwealth in 2003 after being suspended but they reapplied for membership a few years ago. Not sure the status of application.
                              • Pakistan was suspended a couple of time and pulled out in protest over recognition of Bangladesh. Now back in.
                              • Nigeria suspended multiple times, now back in.
                              • The Maldives pulled out, now back in
                              • Fiji suspended a couple of times
                              • Hong Kong still participates in some Commonwealth fora despite not being a member. Last Games in 1994.
                              • Mozambique applied to join despite having no constitutional link to British Crown as a former Portugese colongy. Rules changed, so member since 1998.
                              • Rwanda now a member since 2009 despite being a German colony then Belgian trust territory
                              • South Sudan interested in joining
                              • Turkish Republic of Northern Cypress (the "other" half of Cypress) interested in joining

Mozambique and Rwanda are interesting, because they are geographically contiguous with Commonwealth nations. Their joining means Commonwealth nations occupy the entire east coast of (broadly) sub-Saharan Africa. Of course, South Sudan is contiguous to UGA and KEN at the very north.

Madagascar, sitting off the east coast, is the only southern nation not a member but has considered applying, according to some sources.

While Commonwealth membership does not come with automatic trade benefits like EU membership, there must be some benefit to membership (other than sports), given it is expanding rather than contracting.

Comment

Cameroon is another country that joined in the 1990s despite never having been a British colony.

Comment

Working...
                                X