Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Conor Dary

4% is insane for a female.
    I don't think that's possible. The best male bodybuilders on competition day get to 4-5% and they have chemical assistance. And even then they can't stay there. My understanding, for men at least, is that 8-12% was best for optimal performance. NFL RBs are 10-15% usually.

You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
      The best solution would be getting rid of athletic scholarships.....which is where the pressure for both sides lie.
      Did you think this through, Conor? Better for who? Not the thousands of athletes who would otherwise have no chance of higher education and/or future professional athletic employment? Not the suppliers and service people whose livelihoods depend on sports. Not the alumni and fans who enjoy their performance and whose support for their university is influenced by athletes. Not every athlete is intelligently gifted or can afford the tuition costs at those D3 schools. Does the university suffer because a small percentage of students are not academic superstars? Better for who?
      Last edited by lonewolf; 10-26-2021, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post

Did you think this through, Conor? Better for who? Not the thousands of athletes who would otherwise have no chance of higher education and/or future professional athletic employment? Not the suppliers and service people whose livelihoods depend on sports. Not the alumni and fans who enjoy their performance and whose support for their university is influenced by athletes. Not every athlete is intelligently gifted or can afford the tuition costs at those D3 schools. Does the university suffer because a small percentage of students are not academic superstars? Better for who?
        I've written 28 books on the subject...I think about it all day and night. I am The Authority...

College sports have gotten absurd .... a sinkhole in costs.... this latest Oregon fiasco is just another symptom of a runaway system.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

I've written 28 books on the subject...I think about it all day and night. I am The Authority...

College sports have gotten absurd .... a sinkhole in costs.... this latest Oregon fiasco is just another symptom of a runaway system.
          What would college sports look like in your world? If I were making the rules, college sports would essentially be intramural. If pro teams need farm system, they can pay for them,

Comment

I can confirm that the athletes at Oregon Goe spoke with are all in Johnson's group, sprinters, hurdlers or jumpers. All-American level and one an Olympian. Not only were they forced to do as Goe described but I have heard that they were forced to do so in front of team mates with weigh ins and shouting at one in particular that she was fat! Using this as extortion to get to participate seems to cross that unethical boundary that Salazar did with Cain and others. Verbal abuse and extortion. No doubt this is already further along than we know and Safe Sport is likely on it. I'm surprised no one is speaking to the part where Goe mention's the fear of reprisals if these women went public. Raises the ethical issues of Oregon's all too close relationship with Nike and USATF and Masback at the helm of Nike now and UO officials intertwined at Nike. Maybe this will buy Goe some distance as being seen as a Oregon and Nike homer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post

What would college sports look like in your world? If I were making the rules, college sports would essentially be intramural. If pro teams need farm system, they can pay for them,
              They would be like British universities that do quite well without college sports....it was a nice change while I taught and went to school there.

Track there survives without it....and soccer does quite well also.

I've already written about how at Oregon so many of the facilities are off limits to students who pay boatloads to go here. And for what....so the coach can harass the athletes...

Comment

Originally posted by sprintdoc View Post
                * Not only were they forced to do as Goe described but I have heard that they were forced to do so in front of team mates with weigh ins and shouting at one in particular that she was fat!

* Using this as extortion to get to participate seems to cross that unethical boundary that Salazar did with Cain and others. Verbal abuse and extortion. No doubt this is already further along than we know and Safe Sport is likely on it.

* I'm surprised no one is speaking to the part where Goe mention's the fear of reprisals if these women went public.
                Clearly a program out of control. But this does not indict the entire NCAA system, which some would have you believe. Any time and anywhere this abuse is found, it should, of course, be terminated with extreme prejudice, but don't try to broadstroke this into a reason to condemn all the good programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

Clearly a program out of control. But this does not indict the entire NCAA system, which some would have you believe. Any time and anywhere this abuse is found, it should, of course, be terminated with extreme prejudice, but don't try to broadstroke this into a reason to condemn all the good programs.
                  We just haven't heard about them yet...

Comment

Thread....

Six women athletes who left the University of Oregon track and field program in recent seasons say they felt devalued as individuals and at risk for eating disorders because of the program’s data-driven approach to their weight and body fat percentages. (1/13)

https://mobile.twitter.com/Oregonian...56077541511171

Comment

• So the poster who led us off on yet another tangent has spoken and now we will get back on topic! Let no man or woman defy he who is the AUTHORITY!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                        We just haven't heard about them yet...
                        Always another evil lurking beyond EVERY corner . . .

You're right, of course. EVERY college and university (and major institution) should shut down immediately - for the sins of the few.

Comment

• I am not denying there have been regrettable incidents and extravagancies in collegiate athletics nor do I condone them but I have not read or heard of any of those 28 books. Neither do I concede that writing a book makes one an expert or confers authority on a subject. You left out, "in your opinion."

Purely Personal: Undoubtably, my opinion is influenced by the fact that without an athletic scholarship, instead of being an educated, modestly affluent, retired nonagenarian, who enjoyed a long/varied professional life, I would be a long-dead, dirt farmer like ten of my eleven male 1949 HS classmates who did get the right genes.
                          I repeat, "Better for who?

Or is it "whom"? I did not go to Oxford or Cambridge.

Last edited by lonewolf; 10-27-2021, 01:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary
                            Better safe than sorry...
                            Absolutely, shut down every institution, public and private, that has ever had an incident of corruption, fraud, malfeasance and wrongthinkery - banks, stores, churches, schools, hospitals, governments, etc..
                            As you say, better safe than sorry!

Comment

• I am not denying there have been regrettable incidents and extravagancies in collegiate athletics nor do I condone them but I have not read or heard of any of those 28 books. Neither do I concede that writing a book makes one an expert or confers authority on a subject. You left out, "in your opinion."

Purely Personal: Undoubtably, my opinion is influenced by the fact that without an athletic scholarship, instead of being an educated, modestly affluent, retired nonagenarian, who enjoyed a long/varied professional life, I would be a long-dead, dirt farmer like ten of my eleven male 1949 HS classmates who did get the fast-twitch genes.
                              I repeat, "Better for who?

Or is it "whom"? I did not go to Oxford or Cambridge.

[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                Absolutely, shut down every institution, public and private, that has ever had an incident of corruption, fraud, malfeasance and wrongthinkery - banks, stores, churches, schools, hospitals, governments, etc..
                                As you say, better safe than sorry!
                                I didn't want this thread to become sidetracked into a joke since I think it is a serious subject...so I deleted that post...

Comment

Working...
                                X