Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I didn't want this thread to become sidetracked into a joke since I think it is a serious subject...so I deleted that post...
    You made it one, but I agree, finis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      You made it one, but I agree, finis.
      I did nothing of the kind. I think college sports scholarships should be abandoned. A benefit for a few ....and not even that in many cases. Universities would be much better off doing what they are supposed to do without the distraction of semi pro sports.
      Conor Dary
      Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-27-2021, 02:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        I am The Authority...
        Uh, sure, whatever you say dude . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
          Uh, sure, whatever you say dude . . .
          In CD's defense (?!), he was being facetious (I'm pretty sure . . . ).

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

When I watch running events I will occasionally think "oh, they could do with being a bit trimmer, and then they would be faster" and I hate to admit it, but I probably do this to female athletes rather than male.
            Same, and it is primarily connected to college runners and also early heats of major international competitions. There aren't too many times I watch a Diamond League meet and somebody jumps out as notably overweight.

Gabby Thomas is the example that comes to mind. When I saw her for the first time a few years ago running great in the NCAA indoor championship I distinctly remember thinking that she's a bit soft and overweight but that's no problem at Harvard compared to what they would require of her at a big time athletics school. Gabby became Wonder Woman this year but if you go back and check those tapes you'll see what I mean.

Unfortunately I don't get Pac 12 Network anymore. The college meets I see are primarily Big Ten, ACC and SEC then the NCAA Championships. It always stands out that there's a great disparity in body types in the women's distance races. Some girls are very thin, albeit not to Ethiopian level. But many more look like Molly Seidel did at Notre Dame. The Big 10 and midwestern schools in general seem to tolerate that type of normalcy. Also the smaller schools below Division 1. I say normalcy because when you see them in person it's glaring they are not chubby or fat at all. The camera and the competition skew perspective. Once it reaches the NCAA outdoor championship then it's a fascinating mixture because the SEC and Pac 12 girls tend to be thinner. The women's steeplechase is probably the most dramatic example of varied shapes.

As a USC alum I'm kind of glad we're a sprint school. Anna Cockrell at Oregon probably would have been shamed and asked to lose weight. Seems to me there's a logical correlation between the specialty focus of your coach and how much of an issue this is. Schools like Arkansas and Georgia that rely on field events and multis won't be impacted to the degree of Oregon. Basically if somebody had told me a month ago that this topic would surface at a major track school, I wouldn't have required 5 seconds before naming Oregon, solely based on emphasis.

Per the Gabby Thomas and Anna Cockrell examples, the better you are the more you can get away with being a bit heavier. Since Oregon recruits the elite they have greater margin for error than they recognize. This should not be happening.

Comment

• When someone asks if I have thought this through as if I had some authority in this matter ....what can I say?

https://youtu.be/CnlPf3qMX2Q?t=18m35s

Comment

• Originally posted by br View Post

Pun intended?
                Not really

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                  Purely Personal: Undoubtably, my opinion is influenced by the fact that without an athletic scholarship, instead of being an educated, modestly affluent, retired nonagenarian, who enjoyed a long/varied professional life, I would be a long-dead, dirt farmer like ten of my eleven male 1949 HS classmates who did get the right genes.
                  I repeat, "Better for who?

Or is it "whom"? I did not go to Oxford or Cambridge.
                  Why do you think you would be dead without college sports?

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                    Without the scholarship, he would have gone to dirt-farming instead of college. His degree gave him jobs that gave him ample money, aka access to modern medicine. Also a less stressful life (v-a-v dirt-farming).

That said, methinks LW would have figured out life success anyway!

Comment

• USATF reaction to the article:

<<USATF strongly believes in a culture of safe sport, promoting respect, and preventing abuse, bullying, and harassment to create a healthy environment for athletes to safely train and compete. USATF encourages members who feel they have been abused, hazed, or harassed either physically or emotionally to immediately report any such concerns through a number of ways, as detailed on its website: https://www.usatf.org/safe-sport/rep...port-complaint.

USATF does not provide support to college athletes. Rather, USATF funding for elite athletes is based on an objective number of criteria which include place finishes at national and international competitions, national and international rankings, and other criteria developed by members of USATF’s High Performance Committee.>>

Comment

• Maybe I'm off base but I've always believed that the ideal weight for a runner is the weight at which if they gain weight he/she will be slower and if they lose weight he/she will be slower, and that weight is athlete specific and can't be derived from a height/weight chart or by targeting a specific % body fat.

Comment

• It's kind of funny. A bit over 20 years ago, college wrestling (and this also trickled down to high school) started to seriously reform policies around weight loss following a couple of deaths. It's my understanding that the idea was to test athlete's body fat % and hydration level, and determine a safe limit of how low they were allowed to drop in weight for a year, or something like that. This Oregon scenario is almost the opposite - having a maximum body fat %, which to me is a silly thing to test for. unless the entire coaching staff is severely visually impaired, you can tell if an athlete is carrying any extra weight just by looking at them in normal workout attire.

Oh, and many wrestlers would cheat on the hydration test. Unlike random drug testing that you don't know is coming, they could plan to have a way to dilute their urine sample in the bathroom so that they would be able to drop more weight than whatever the formula would have wanted them to.

Comment

Maybe I'm off base but I've always believed that the ideal weight for a runner is the weight at which if they gain weight he/she will be slower and if they lose weight he/she will be slower, and that weight is athlete specific and can't be derived from a height/weight chart or by targeting a specific % body fat.
                            Agree 100%.
                            And that weight can change over time and circumstances. Weight room work affects it directly.

Comment

Not necessarily but Atticus neatly summarized the factors that favorably tilted my lifestyle and longevity.

Comment

• we're once again (way) off topic, and on an important subject

please right the ship

Comment

Working...
                                X