X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Tusk
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    I don't recommend my 'diet', but I'm healthy and happy now.
    Sending prayers your way, big guy. This board will be a darker place after your departure.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave View Post

Oregon/Nike’s error was in believing that they had the technology to determine that optimal weight where strength would not be compromised. That would seem to be a very fertile area for sports medicine research.
    And they failed to recognize that the optimal weight and bodyfat for one athlete might be very wrong for another athlete with the same/similar height.

Look at David Oliver and Aries Merritt, for example. Only 2 inches difference in height, but 50 lbs difference in weight. If either tried to bulk up or slim down to acquire the other's build, they'd be miserable and perform miserably.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post

and obviously, there are many 'optimal weights' for everyone, depending on what they want to do.

…..
    Oregon/Nike’s error was in believing that they had the technology to determine that optimal weight where strength would not be compromised. That would seem to be a very fertile area for sports medicine research.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave View Post
    I suspect there is a lot of room left to really understand optimal weight for athletes and the trade offs.
    and obviously, there are many 'optimal weights' for everyone, depending on what they want to do.

I was very happy with my weight 3 months ago, got sick, lost 15 pounds, and now I am very happy with that weight now. Plus now I can eat whatever I want and not gain a pound. I don't recommend my 'diet', but I'm healthy and happy now.
    Last edited by Atticus; 12-22-2021, 08:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    So, it is not just female athletes who are under pressure to keep their weight down. https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/21/sport...cmd/index.html

I suspect there is a lot of room left to really understand optimal weight for athletes and the trade offs.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    And as usual you completely missed the important point.
    The ad hominems should be beneath your dignity.

Leave a comment:

• br
    replied

British runner Phily Bowden on why she quit leading athletics programme (Oregon) in latest controversy that could have serious implications for Nike

'I confided that I had an eating disorder – they told me to lose three pounds'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/athletic...-three-pounds/

“The initial conversation of ‘here are your results’ was coupled with ‘let’s try to get a couple of per cent off that fat percentage and maybe cut a couple of pounds at the same time’,” Bowden, now 26, tells Telegraph Sport. “That’s not what I was expecting to hear.”

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    And as usual you completely missed the important point.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Did you read the article?

[incorrect headline]

* athletes can choose to be tested.
    * results of the test “should not be reported beyond the student-athlete, dietitian and relevant medical personnel.
    * Reporting of individual results to coaches is not permitted.”

As it should have been from the get-go . . . of course.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Did you read the article?

According to the revised written protocols, athletes can choose to be tested. But results of the test “should not be reported beyond the student-athlete, dietitian and relevant medical personnel. Reporting of individual results to coaches is not permitted.”

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Meanwhile...
    Oregon Ducks athletic programs no longer can monitor athletes’ weight, body fat percentage
    https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/202...ercentage.html
    Typical over-reaction. BMI is important to athletes!

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Meanwhile...

Oregon Ducks athletic programs no longer can monitor athletes’ weight, body fat percentage

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/202...ercentage.html

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Former Oregon Runners Corroborate Accusations of Body Composition Focus in Track Program

Katie Rainsberger confirmed she had multiple DEXA scans a year. A nutritionist celebrated her falling body fat percentage.

Katie Rainsberger, a top distance runner at the University of Oregon from the fall of 2016 until she transferred to the University of Washington in the summer of 2018, confirmed the allegations in an October 25 Oregonian report that said head coach Robert Johnson’s focus on body composition fostered disordered eating among team members.

Despite efforts by the women’s distance coach at the time, Maurica Powell, to protect her from the Oregon track program’s focus on weight and body fat, Rainsberger said she thought constantly about what she could and could not eat, stopped getting her period regularly, and missed almost five months of running during her sophomore year.
    She had a stress fracture in her right talus (a bone in the foot), and a tear in her right Achilles tendon.

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners...-body-shaming/

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Fwiw there has been absolutely no coverage of this story in the RG. Of course it is a crap paper these days.

Leave a comment:

• sprintdoc
    replied
    As polevaultpower notes USATF posting CYA media release for athletes to report to Safe Sport. Its my understanding that has been done in this case. Perhaps what will really get things moving is the lawyer for Mary Cain representing the athletes at UO. As PVPower notes too many are overlooking some major red flags in the article. The body shaming aspect of how the Dexa scans were used go far beyond an aid and into the zone of nothing but extortion in the way that Johnson was using them.

I would point out it is very telling that we have seen not a peep from a former or current even Duck athlete defending Johnson in over 3 days other than the non-scholarship sprinter Goe quoted in the article! Not a single tweet. Me thinks that says more than even Goe's article which speaks extremely loud obviously.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X