Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if you think NCAA men & wome should be running same distance in XC....

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    Drifting further off topic, it’s pretty cool that John Walker finished 4th in the World XC Championship in 1975.
    With a nod to those 22 mile Sunday runs the Lydiard adherents were noted for.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
      .... a change.org petition is here:

https://www.change.org/p/ncaa-8km-ra...share_petition
      This comes up on a regular basis; I really hope that it does not happen for a while more. The women's race is much more interesting at 6km than it would be at 8km and especially at 8km.

First, the distance allows middle distance runners to compete well at XC but it would be too long for many of them; it is not unusual for the race to be won by a 1500m runner. It even seems long for 3000SC, although this is an impression; consider runners like Ava Cohen, a 9:33 Olympian who has never had as much effect in XC that is a it seemed someone of that quality.

Second, the field at 8km would be thinner, in part by losing the competitive middle distance runners, in part because there are just not as many quality runners as the men's field. People often mention that the women now run the 10,000 and marathon at the top levels of the sport. However, this is misleading because at the NCAA meet there are only 24 women in the race, not 250 at the XC Championship. At higher levels, the thinning is even greater. I always thought that the women should have the 10,000 and that was an equity issue but the equity issue was not the exact distance but that the men had an event and the women did not. And of course, the same logic that leads to the 10,000 for men applies to women; XC does not have this same natural logic.

These factors are narrowing over time, aided in part by the greater scholarships for women; it is easier for high school runners aim for the distances because the opportunities are greater as a result. Running 8km would not make it any better.

Note, I have not read a number of the entries, mainly because they get pretty repetitive and I do not have as much time for the board currently (not very many posts since July).

Comment

on a related somehow this passed by unremarked: starting in '23, the Euro XC distances will be synched (scroll down a bit):

https://european-athletics.com/news/...-championships

Comment

Just thinking what a catastrophe the NCAA cross country meet would have been if women had run 10k.

Comment

I presume you are being sarcastic....There probably would have been more heat related problems.

https://www.tricitynews.com/local-ne...ionals-4781076
            Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-24-2021, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
              Just thinking what a catastrophe the NCAA cross country meet would have been if women had run 10k.
              are you suggesting women would have had more trouble with the distance than the men?

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                I presume you are being sarcastic....There probably would have been more heat related problems.

https://www.tricitynews.com/local-ne...ionals-4781076
                This was held near me on Saturday in one of the few areas around here which is pretty hilly. Wasn't hot at all by Florida Nov. standards but those from northern or drier (or both) climates might find the humidity tough. In fact the athlete who led the men's race lost it completely in the last 1000m or so and I'm not sure he finished. So I'm not sure it's an issue which applies singularly to the women.

Comment

on a related somehow this passed by unremarked: starting in '23, the Euro XC distances will be synched (scroll down a bit):
                  Allowing for flexibility in terms of course design, the SPAR European Cross Country Championships races from 2023 will be contested over the following distances:
                  • Under 20 women and men: 4-6km
                  • Under 23 women and men 6-8km
                  • Senior women and men: 8-10km
                  • Senior mixed relay: 4x1 lap
                  This is what NCAA and world championship needs mixed 4x1.5k - 2.0 K or 4x 1 lap

Comment

Originally posted by GHM View Post

Allowing for flexibility in terms of course design, the SPAR European Cross Country Championships races from 2023 will be contested over the following distances:
                    • Under 20 women and men: 4-6km
                    • Under 23 women and men 6-8km
                    • Senior women and men: 8-10km
                    • Senior mixed relay: 4x1 lap
                    This is what NCAA and world championship needs mixed 4x1.5k - 2.0 K or 4x 1 lap
                    The World Championships have had the Mixed Relay since 2017.

Comment

are you suggesting women would have had more trouble with the distance than the men?
                      Exactly.

Comment

Exactly.
                        What do you mean by that?

Being slower than men doesn't count.
                        Women have proven that they can do any event that men can do.
                        ​​​​​

Comment

Exactly.
                          Any particular backup for the opinion or is it just speculation?

Comment

as i recall, back when NCAA men were running just 4M it wasn't uncommon for a halfmiler to be a significant player
                            If college cross country had been 4K or 5K in my day, I might have done it. But 8 or 10K races were beyond this halfmiler.
                            Last edited by Halfmiler2; 11-26-2021, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Any particular backup for the opinion or is it just speculation?
                              Just speculation from watching the post finish line flopping at 100's of high school and college cross country meets.

Comment

Working...
                              X