Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest dumb high school decision..

https://www.mlive.com/highschoolspor...profanity.html

Totally and pathetically SICK---and I'm talking about the DQ and the rule, not what the kid said!

I tweeted the following--

Kudos to the kid!
    Imagine if Shalane Flanagan had been DQ'd for screaming "Fuck, yes!" when she won NYC!
    Holy Hell would have broken loose!

It's gotten about 40 likes...so far!!

Reverse the decision, you idiots!
    We're decades past when EVERY kid uses cuss words in their daily conversation!
    Are you gonna DQ them for saying "the"??

LOL

Comment

Hopefully this will reversed. No wonder parents are getting fed up with the people we entrust our children with. I'm so relieved my kids attended a reasonable district, while it is still reasonable. If they were little now there's a high chance we'd be home schooling.
      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

This is one those "I didn't hear anything, did you hear anything?" situations for the officials. Why there isn't a lesser penalty available escapes me.

Here in FL, you can be kicked out of games if you use foul language. I've been at many HS basketball games in which the referee T's up a kid for swearing and warns him that he could have thrown him out which carries at least a one game further suspension. I've never seen a kid kicked out. Coaches have been suspended for cursing on the field and it's a six game suspension.

Comment

Yeah, let's do away with all social conventions. Anything goes, anywhere, all the time.

I had my mouth washed out with soap at home on more than one occasion. That didn't stop me from having a filthy vocabulary around my friends at school to prove how tough I was, but I can't say I wasn't raised properly, which eventually took some effect in adulthood.

I guess high standards are only for trying to run a marathon in Boston.

Comment

This would be against the rules in the UK, but I suspect would have resulted in a talking to/warning rather than a DQ. I do think swearing at someone else is a far more serious matter.

Comment

Winter’s exclamation violated Article 2 of Rule 4-6 in the National Federation of State High School Associations rulebook governing high school track and cross country, which says, “Unacceptable conduct by a competitor includes, but is not limited to, willful failure to follow the directions of a meet official, using profanity that is not directed at someone or any action which could bring discredit to the individual of his or her school.”
              If it's about discredit to the individual or school, that should be a matter for the school to deal with internally, not for an association to administer with a DQ. Leave it up to his school to hand out some level of warning or punishment as they see fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                This would be against the rules in the UK, but I suspect would have resulted in a talking to/warning rather than a DQ. I do think swearing at someone else is a far more serious matter.
                Exactly....If I had a student act in class like that I would say that isn't cool but I wouldn't have him thrown out of school.

Just dumb officials.

Comment

Call me square, but I find athletes like Shalane Flanagan and Keely Hodgkinson celebrating with profanity at the end of their races pretty distasteful. They are setting a great example for the youth of the world.

Comment

[QUOTE=Steele;n1729226]Y

I had my mouth washed out with soap at home on more than one occasion. That didn't stop me from having a filthy vocabulary around my friends at school to prove how tough I was,

How true of me too. The more bad words I learned approaching and into teen years, the more I and my friends used them to demonstrate our maturity and sophistication. But all this talk was between us boys... never ever around girls, teachers or parents.

Comment

The punishment far exceeds the crime in this instance. Even worse is that, according to the statement from the kid, they found out by reading the posted results. The officials didn't tell he and his team directly.

Comment

Originally posted by smj View Post
                        The punishment far exceeds the crime in this instance. Even worse is that, according to the statement from the kid, they found out by reading the posted results. The officials didn't tell he and his team directly.
                        Agreed on the first sentence and, if true, the second sentence is simply incredible.

Comment

The whole thing is so stupid....typical track officials who get a little power for the first time in their lives....and not let an opportunity to screw someone if they can do it.

Comment

Athletes and coaches should know the written down rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago View Post
                              Call me square, but I find athletes like Shalane Flanagan and Keely Hodgkinson celebrating with profanity at the end of their races pretty distasteful. They are setting a great example for the youth of the world.
                              agree, why a "mature" athlete needs to yell "f*#k yea" at the end of a race seems very lame.

Comment

Working...
                              X