Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mungo man View Post
    Athletes and coaches should know the written down rules.
    Yep. Five minutes in a team meeting at the start of the season and we would never hear of the uni/jewelry/profanity issues again.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
      This is one those "I didn't hear anything, did you hear anything?" situations for the officials. Why there isn't a lesser penalty available escapes me.

Here in FL, you can be kicked out of games if you use foul language. I've been at many HS basketball games in which the referee T's up a kid for swearing and warns him that he could have thrown him out which carries at least a one game further suspension. I've never seen a kid kicked out. Coaches have been suspended for cursing on the field and it's a six game suspension.
      yeah, if the young man is going to run track this coming spring he could be suspended for the first couple of meets...the DQ of a HS kid for something like this is a bit over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post

yeah, if the young man is going to run track this coming spring he could be suspended for the first couple of meets...the DQ of a HS kid for something like this is a bit over the top.
        That would be just as ridiculous. Maybe a formal warning prior to dq. It is just so over the top. It does keep the teeth sucking crowd happy I guess.

Comment

At the California State Meet a few years ago, we had a PVer from Loyola (Catholic school) DQd for dropping the f-bomb on his way down from a missed jump. As I remember, Loyola was in the hunt for the team title and this could have changed the result. In the end, I think it only dropped them from second to third.
          Given the solid reputation for Loyola, I think it's likely that the punishment from the school - not to mention his mother - far exceeded the DQ in the meet.

Comment

Henry Fonda's take on curse words:
            https://clip.cafe/on-golden-pond-1981/you-like-word/

Comment

Statement from the runner: https://twitter.com/GarrettWinter2/s...444426754?s=20

Comment

It's a ridiculous rule and our society's hang-up about four-letter words is bizarre. Guns and violence on every TV show and tits on the Popeye's Chicken hottie commercial are just fine, but can't say a curse word at a sporting event? Or on TV? (Reference George Carlin's Seven Words monologue).

Comment

Originally posted by Steele View Post

Yep. Five minutes in a team meeting at the start of the season and we would never hear of the uni/jewelry/profanity issues again.
                  They would just find something else to go on about....common sense is alien to alot of high school track officials.

Comment

...waiting for gh to close this thread...

Comment

I'm just glad we don't have such stupid rules down here in kiwi land

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HHKq9tt50O8

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago View Post
                          Call me square, but I find athletes like Shalane Flanagan and Keely Hodgkinson celebrating with profanity at the end of their races pretty distasteful. They are setting a great example for the youth of the world.
                          Keely Hodgkinson is only a year older than a high schooler.

Comment

She went to a comprehensive school which explains her behavior....
                            Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-10-2021, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Otoh...Kristen Scott Thomas went to Cheltenham Ladies College....

https://youtu.be/dlmCvMRIZqw?t=45

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago View Post
                                Call me square, but I find athletes like Shalane Flanagan and Keely Hodgkinson celebrating with profanity at the end of their races pretty distasteful. They are setting a great example for the youth of the world.
                                I'll call you sharp, not square. Profanity is one of the worst habits. It adds absolutely nothing, other than demonstrating low class and lack of creativity.

That's the aspect that gets me. Think of all the words available. All the phrases. Only the dullards resort to profanity.

In fact, it has always been a great litmus test for me. When I lived in Las Vegas for 24 years as sports bettor the guys who had no chance whatsoever were the ones who cursed all the time and screamed fix all the time.

Tools of simpletons

Comment

Working...
                                X