Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are you most excited about for next year?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh View Post
    since Atlanta has. never hosted an NCAA and LA didn't in '32 or '84, by definition the answer has to be no.
    Bingo. Paging Randolph Ross . . . Mr. Ross, white Courtesy Phone . . . Mr. Destiny is calling.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      To the original question's point, I'm always fascinated by the WC right after an OG.

Do the OG winners repeat, and if not, why not?
      - burn out, mental or physical?
      - their OG was flukey?
      - the comp has gotten better?
      - bad day at the office?

Which of the Old Guard are mostly done?
      Which of the young bucks (m or w) has seized the day?
      Which hot OG event has cooled off?
      Which event that was in the doldrums suddenly surges again?

I like the 'year-after' dynamics as they play out.

With the oWC in the USA (. . . finally!), I'm very interested in who can get hot at the WC Trials (aka USATF) and hold it through the WC. I really want someone (RRoss?!) to get the Eugene Triple. Has it ever happened that someone got the NCAA-USA-OG/WC Triple on the same track?
      In following uo oue debate on the respective AOY merits if Jacobs and Kerley, next years 100m WC should be a fascinating tussle to see who emerges on top.
      Jacobs? Kerley? Coleman? Lyles? Su?

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
        100m WC should be a fascinating tussle to see who emerges on top. Jacobs? Kerley? Coleman? Lyles? Su?
        Absolutely. Were I a betting man (I'd be poor), I'd say CC will return to he top, but Lyles could do it, or Kerley, or Bromell or Bracy or Baker or De Grasse or yes, even Jacobs, but he sure won't sneak up on them again!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Has it ever happened that someone got the NCAA-USA-OG/WC Triple on the same track?
          In addition to gh's note on Olympics, Indy 1987 didnt host NCAAs or USAs, while Portland 2016 didnt host NCAAs.

The closest you will get it Lee McRae in 1987 winning NCAAs, USAs and Worlds all on US soil. (Oklahoma City/New York/Indianapolis)

Comment

my favorite athletes right now are rojas and mihambo; from new ones zhoya is the most exciting talent ever apart from usain imo, alekna may be of interest; most crucial is for mahuchikh to at least win the worlds finally, though she may even go for the world record, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

It would be great to see her run 47.59 or better
              Ahhh a bridge too far. I don't even know what she would have to do to run that fast. It's mind boggling trying to imagine it.
              Apparently Ignorance is bliss

Comment

It would be great to see her run 47.59 or better
                Originally posted by Mr Lover Lover View Post
                Ahhh a bridge too far. I don't even know what she would have to do to run that fast. It's mind boggling trying to imagine it.
                Exactly what we said about Warholm and McL's times. We definitely need a new WR.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Lover Lover View Post

I'm with Atticus on this, especially re KW's 45.94.

I remember how stunned we all were with David Hemery in 1968, and that was at altitude.

Eugene 2022 WC will hopefully rewrite the record book for the w400.

Comment

Originally posted by lil boi View Post
                    from new ones zhoya is the most exciting talent ever apart from usain imo,
                    I'm not sure I'd say that right now, but finding out where he stands is the reason I'm looking forward to him next year!

He ran 12.87 over 91cm (36") in 2019, putting him 0.09 ahead of 2nd fastest ever U-18. This year he ran 12.72 over 99cm (39") to be 0.27 ahead of 2nd best ever. Now I'm not expecting him to run faster than 12.72 with the next height increase to 107cm(42") but how close will he get to 13.00?

It's intriguing because of the changes of heights over the years with Zhoya apparently never running the full height and the top juniors over the full height not running the lower heights. Without a direct comparison, there is just speculation.

The top times by U-20 hurdlers over 107cm(42") are 13.12 Xiang Liu (2002) and 13.22 Renaldo Nehemiah (1978). In their 20th year their three best times were 13.17,13.19,13.20 and 12.91w,13.00, 13.16, respectively.

Would strong, fast, technically excellent Zhoya really lose 4 or 5 tenths if he'd had to clear that extra 8cm (3") in Nairobi? If he would have been faster than Liu and Nehemiah this year, what more improvement can we expect to see next year? Surely not a 3 tenth drop like Nehemiah to put him at 12.8?

Roll on 2022 for some answers!

Comment

• If we are going to (rightly IMO) swoon over Zhoya, what about Knighton? He took down Bolt's U20 200 mark at age 17.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
                        If we are going to (rightly IMO) swoon over Zhoya, what about Knighton? He took down Bolt's U20 200 mark at age 17.
                        200s are 200s are 200s, and will be just the same for Knighton at 17, 19 and 20, so not that interesting.

Hurdlers have different events at each of those ages due to hurdle heights, so stars regularly disappear as they age. That makes it inherently harder to predict making it more interesting.

And, unlike Knighton, Zhoya had another, unrelated world class event, the pole vault. He seems to have made a choice to focus on hurdles, so will it be the right choice, or would he have been a 6m vaulter already? That's another thing that increases my interest.

If Zhoya had continued with PV, rather than hurdles, I'd be much less interested because there's no transition point.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm
                          If we are going to (rightly IMO) swoon over Zhoya, what about Knighton? He took down Bolt's U20 200 mark at age 17.
                          Originally posted by El Toro View Post
                          200s are 200s are 200s, and will be just the same for Knighton at 17, 19 and 20, so not that interesting.
                          I'm with gm. 'Interesting' to me includes how much will he improve, having run so fast at 17?
                          No doubt Zhoya will be a great story this year (and he may resume the PV), but Knighton may join Bolt down the rabbit hole of fantastic times.

Comment

• Mu for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
                              Mu for me.
                              And me for Mu, and Mu for me, and you for me, and me for you, so happy together! How is the weather?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                And me for Mu, and Mu for me, and you for me, and me for you, so happy together! How is the weather?
                                Lma0....

I wonder when Warholm gets bored and tries the 800? That I'd like to see.

Comment

Working...
                                X