Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are you most excited about for next year?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dave View Post
    Since the US hasn’t had a top -ated men’s hammer thrower for a long time, I’m looking forward to seeing Rudy Winker’s continued rise.
    We're in a definite 'Golden Era' for USA HTing - besides the strong throwing of the wHTers, men had an 82, two 79s and a 78m thrower. This year we could have both a man and woman medal at the WC!

Comment

• Looking forward to Michael Normans season. I am always intrigued by runners who have tremendous physical capabilities but never live up to the expectations in the biggest meets. And he is exhibit A. I'm hoping that with some of the pressure off and expectations lowered, he becomes the comeback story of the year.

Comment

• Christine Mboma. I am starting to understand why some people value entertainment over boredom. At any cost. 😜

Comment

• Originally posted by 58Commander View Post
          Looking forward to Michael Normans season. I am always intrigued by runners who have tremendous physical capabilities but never live up to the expectations in the biggest meets. And he is exhibit A. I'm hoping that with some of the pressure off and expectations lowered, he becomes the comeback story of the year.
          I think he needs to go down to the shorter distances. Something seems to have occurred since that Injury. Tokyo was not a bad attempt mind you.
          Apparently Ignorance is bliss

Comment

• Vashti Cunningham, two-time Olympian who just turned 23, jumped a PR 6'7-1/2" last year She's been around so long but is just maturing and ready for a breakout year. Doesn't overdo it, doesn't have chronic injuries, etc. She's ready to move the American record to 6'9" On the world stage, women's high jump right now is a relatvely "young" event and incredibly competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by DET59 View Post
              On the world stage, women's high jump right now is a relatvely "young" event
              Not sure about that; here's 100 years of WR Progresson, but I do agree with the premise of your post!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%...rd_progression

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Not sure about that; here's 100 years of WR Progresson, but I do agree with the premise of your post!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%...rd_progression
                I was thinking he meant young in terms of age. Of the 5 women who jumped 2m last year, 4 of them are 25 or younger. Even Lasitskene is 29 years old (today!) which is relatively young considering names like Ruth Beitia (37) and Blanca Vlasic (33) won medals into their 30s (Rio 2016)
                Last edited by ATK; 01-14-2022, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post

I was thinking he meant young in terms of age. Of the 5 women who jumped 2m last year, 4 of them are 25 or younger. Even Lasitskene is 29 years old (today!) which is relatively young considering names like Ruth Beitia (37) and Blanca Vlasic (33) won medals into their 30s (Rio 2016)
                  Thanks ATK, hence the quotation marks around "young." The top half of the Olympic final averaged around 25 years old, with a 19 year old (Mahuchikh)

and a 22 year old (Vashti) in the group. Lasitskene is the "old lady" of the bunch. Should be some exciting comps between now and Paris '24

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
                    I was thinking of Lasit's advanced geezerhood when I answered. Even McDermott, who looks young, is already a middle-aged 25!

Comment

• And fun to watch with Lasitskene's icy intensity and McDermott's "come on!" pre-jump routine.

Comment

• I'm hoping to see a rare feat happen, which is for a high school girl to go sub 2 in the 800, something not even Athing Mu managed to do. Out of these 3 girls with PRs under 2:03, I think Roisin Willis has the best shot. (She has already run faster than Athing Mu did in high school, and she has even beat Athing Mu.)

2:00.78 - Roisin Willis
                        2:01.15 - Juliette Whittaker
                        2:02.26 - Sophia Gorriaran

Comment

• Originally posted by RunningInCircles View Post
                          I'm hoping to see a rare feat happen, which is for a high school girl to go sub 2 in the 800, something not even Athing Mu managed to do. Out of these 3 girls with PRs under 2:03, I think Roisin Willis has the best shot. (She has already run faster than Athing Mu did in high school, and she has even beat Athing Mu.)

2:00.78 - Roisin Willis
                          2:01.15 - Juliette Whittaker
                          2:02.26 - Sophia Gorriaran
                          All three of them could do it, for sure.

Comment

Working...
                          X