Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more fun & games in USATF governance?

see Q&A by PVPower Becca now on our home page, which begins....

At the upcoming USATF Annual Meeting (Orlando, Florida, December 02–05), the membership will once again be asked to approve changes to our bylaws that will result in radical changes to our organization.

If these changes pass, the membership of USATF will no longer have a meaningful voice in the organization, and the system of checks and balances that has served our organization well for decades will disappear.

Entirely predictable, after the Hightower coup.

Just say no.
    There are no strings on me

Comment

Oh well....were there ever check and balances? I don't recall any...

Primo certainly didn't have any... and life was good... but none of this lot have Primo's touch.
      Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-25-2021, 02:11 AM.

Comment

What???... are we talking about the same sport? It seems to be one scandal after another... there are multiple threads now going...Diack was the poster child for corruption in sport...

.....and our sport has managed to remain largely scandal-free.....
        Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-25-2021, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          What???... are we talking about the same sport? It seems to be one scandal after another... there are multiple threads now going...Diack was the poster child for corruption in sport...

.....and our sport has managed to remain largely scandal-free.....
          I think the reference is to the sport in the USA not internationally. Other sports in the USA (Gymnastics and Swimming) have had severe scandals compared to track & field. The USOPC has no control over the international federations.

Comment

Salazar isn't a scandal? It was in the New York Times.....

Coleman, Houlihan....

Anyways he says our sport....of course so few pay attention maybe that is what he means. If a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it ...did it make any sound.

Comment

As for sexual assaults .... one of many....

Larry Nassar's Victims Included Michigan State Track Athletes

Several former Michigan State track and cross country athletes spoke out on abuse they suffered at the hands of disgraced MSU doctor Larry Nassar

https://www.flotrack.org/articles/61...track-athletes

Comment

It's like saying the bombing of Dresden wasn't bad....Hiroshima was a lot worse.

Comment

Scandals don't happen if they are ignored.

@USTFCCCA
                  kept giving awards to coaches who had publicly been accused of abuse and I could no longer turn a blind eye to the rampant abuse of college athletes.

https://mobile.twitter.com/polevault...25014336999428

Comment

Salazar's case really did not blow back to USATF though. There were never any allegations that USATF was complicit in any of the abuse, which is different than the scandals around USA Gymnastics and USA Swimming, where the NGBs had knowledge that specific coaches were abusing athletes and failed to protect their athletes.

Nassar did abuse athletes in the sport of track and field, as well as many other sports, but that had nothing to do with USATF.

Before SafeSport, it was very rare for people to report abuse to USATF. USATF's umbrella does not cover much of the sport, and even if an athlete was abused within a USATF Club, it generally was not perceived as USATF's problem.

USATF has been far from "great" when it comes to SafeSport, but they come out smelling like roses when you compare them to the USOPC, USA Gymnastics and USA Swimming.

The changes that are being proposed will make things worse for SafeSport, not better.

Comment

You sound more like a lawyer ....he did say, '.and our sport has managed to remain largely scandal-free.....' which I can't believe anyone who knows anything can say that with a straight face. Salazar was part of the sport at one time. And got far more negative press than any of the swimming scandals. And FINA has, as far as I know, never had a federation head convicted of corruption like Diack..

And it isn't the message the public gets...Chris Berman on SportCenter in 1989 after announcing Reynolds and Barnes tested positive said, 'track, now there's a dirty sport!'

And I doubt that attitude has changed much with the few who even pay attention.
                      Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-28-2021, 11:40 PM.

Comment

You sound more like a lawyer ....he did say, '.and our sport has managed to remain largely scandal-free.....' which I can't believe anyone who knows anything can say that with a straight face. Salazar was part of the sport at one time. And got far more negative press than any of the swimming scandals. And FINA has, as far as I know, never had a federation head convicted of corruption like Diack..
                        I don't think pvp could be any more clear--the context of the statement that has you outraged matters. It was a discussion of whether the USOPC has a reasonable basis to intercede in the governance of USATF, especially if that means limiting the rights of delegates and members.

Yes the sport has had scandals, but Diack and other international scandals are irrelevant to the context of the discussion about whether USATF, in governing T&F in the USA has displayed the kind of corruption that would necessitate intervention by USOPC in the way they are proposing. Salazar and other coaches who allegedly are abusive are scandalous, but is there any evidence that USATF has enabled or covered up such wrong-doing? Same with Coleman or others who violate WADA standards.

The closest that USATF came to looking corrupt was 20 years ago when it was alleged that they covered up positive drug tests leading up to the 2000 Olympic Games. That generated bad press, but in the end it was not determined to be corruption on the part of USATF.

Comment

The answer was our sport! Like Diack wasn't part of our sport? Or Salazar? No follow up at all on a nonsensical answer.

No wonder track is doomed... I hope you dudes never try a murder case...or do mathematics.

I'm outraged by poor writing....I couldn't care less who leads USATF. The trains will still run on time through Hayward.
                          Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-29-2021, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Here is his answer... I couldn't say that without laughing....

Too often, the USOPC seems to think that one size fits all for each NGB. But our sport is unique in its breadth and diversity. Track & Field and Swimming usually win half the USA medals at the Summer Olympics, and our sport has managed to remain largely scandal-free. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Comment

The answer was our sport! Like Diack wasn't part of our sport? Or Salazar? No follow up at all on a nonsensical answer.

No wonder track is doomed... I hope you dudes never try a murder case...or do mathematics.

I'm outraged by poor writing....I couldn't care less who leads USATF. The trains will still run on time through Hayward.
                              Is there something about "USA" that is unclear?

Comment

Working...
                              X