Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jacksf View Post
    As far as I know, she has never run a 400m...

She's run the 4x400 regularly since 2019

There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
      Not hard for me to describe - perfect. The goal is to keep everything moving forward, and as I've said before she's the best technician I've ever seen.
      High praise! Since she doesn't look like 99% of other runners, I have to ask, is this perfect for HER, or should everyone else emulate her?

This may be a S'CR/ETH situation, where their front-end mechanics (esp. knee-lift) really are better than everyone else.

What (exactly) is Steiner doing so right? I'm a big fan of bio-mechanics, but I can't put my finger on it.
      Last edited by Atticus; 12-12-2021, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        ....is this perfect for HER, or should everyone else emulate her?
        Ideally arms should never cross the body and she has almost zero. Also perfectly tall at full speed so no braking forces at footstrike.

Comment

Ideally arms should never cross the body and she has almost zero. Also perfectly tall at full speed so no braking forces at footstrike.
          Watching her 200 iNCAA win, I am struck by how her arms are NOT kept at right angles; she seems to straighten them as they go down. Not sure I've ever seen that before.

Watch her come off the last turn. See what I mean? What is going on there?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1234469253616336

Comment

I am struck by how her arms are NOT kept at right angles; she seems to straighten them as they go down.

Opening the angle on the backswing can produce more force.

Comment

I was always taught that the right-angle allowed the runner to increase arm-swing speed, which in turn, helps the turnover.

I feel I'm showing my ignorance here, but . . . why don't others do it? I don't even see her teammates do it. Certainly not SMU, Felix, MJ, WvN, etc..
              I'm guessing it's so counter-intuitional, they're afraid to try?

The fact that Steiner was taught to do this - and it certainly makes her FAST, leads me to believe that there's something going on here!

Comment

I believe it may come from years of playing soccer. I have seen mAny soccer players who run with terrible form and move fast.

Comment

Watch Cristiano Ronaldo as well. One of his arms flails and the other doesn’t bend always. I think this is a balance mechanism for soccer players. Could explain Abby’s strange arm form.

Comment

Abby is doing something I always wanted to try with the athlete's I coach. Running with straight arms is more energy efficient then running with bent arms but look closer at her hands which are dorsiflexed at the wrist, this makes it easier to dorsiflex the foot and keep it dorsifexed especially while doing backside mechanics.

Comment

Kyoto (Japan), 11.12.2021

w10.000 - Seira Fuwa 30.45.21 NR U20
                      (3, 3 WJ)

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                        Video of Abby Steiner's record run: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXW2hjihgB1/
                        That last 80m was like WOW!
                        And here's her comments about it.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1471143903789211649

Comment

https://www.youngathletehub.com/2021...ackster-could/

I think this was discussed last year on this forum when Steiner ran her 2OO PR?

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster View Post
                            https://www.youngathletehub.com/2021...ackster-could/
                            I think this was discussed last year on this forum when Steiner ran her 2OO PR?
                            It was, but I am still puzzled by the inherent contradictions.

She also keeps her hands in a clenched fist. Not a tight fist. My guess is it is a relaxed fist, but I’m figuring that is to shorten her arms so she can pump them faster. If the hands and fingers are opened up, that makes a longer arm to pump. Possibly slowing you down.
                            If the goal is to swing your arms quickly, extending them down more, with a straighter arm, seems counter-productive. A long arm (straighter arms) can't swing as fast as a short arm (90-degree bend), but she is definitely running with a lower, straighter arm-carriage.

Comment

This is exactly what Tom Tellez teaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortius19 View Post
                                This is exactly what Tom Tellez teaches.
                                That's not how Carl Lewis ran.

7384071ee8b31fbb9866e39087d43bd7.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X