Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATK View Post
    Where would you consider/rank Rojas in the TJ right now? Ibarguen, Mbango, Lebedeva are a bit better medals wise, but Rojas has already rewrote the the top marks list.
    Just TJ

Lebedeva and Kravets were dogged by doping suspensions.

Ibarguen medaled in the

WC: 1, 1, 2.3.3
    OG: 1.2
    no WRs

Rojas

WC: 1,1
    OG: 1.2
    2 WRs

I think Ibarg barely edges Rojas for now, mostly on longevity.
    Kravets, Lebedeva and Mbango are below them

Barring injury, R passes I this summer in Eugene.

Comment

Rojas: multiple WR and Gold Medals

Armchair coaches: She's doing it wrong

Comment

There's no doubt Rojas can challenge Ibarguen for Number 1 in the TJ, I think we all agree. (I do think Mbango is underrated in general though) But saying she can be the 'greatest horizontal jumper' of all-time is something else. There are a lot of 'ifs and buts' still. Other than that extremely long wind assisted jump, there is nothing yet of note in the LJ. Drechsler, Reese, JJK, Kravets, Lebedeva & Ibarguen are all ahead of her as 'horizontal jumpers' and that's just on the women's side.

But...she has enormous talent, and at just 26 she has lots of years ahead still.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortius19 View Post
          Armchair coaches: She's doing it wrong
          Clearly she is NOT using the current biomechanical model - any coach can see that - the question is: will our model (I think J Edwards embodied it best and he had a very good LJ at the end too) be rethought (unlikely); is Rojas's model the best for her (remains to be seen); will Rojas try to get closer to the current model (possible, and I (for one and only?) think she should at least experiment with it, but it would have to be now, early in the pre-season).

Messing with a winner is a terrible gamble, but what if she can go 16m with better phase distribution? The additional problem is no one is pushing her to have to be better.

Comment

I don't think there has ever been a jumper with such enormous potential. Normally when someone has broken the world record we tend to think that the athlete has achieved their potential.

But in the case of Rojas it appears that she is likely nowhere near her potential.

​​​​​​Barring injury she seems to be a certainty for gold at Eugene 2022 and Paris 2024. Seeing her win with a 16.XX and 2nd with 14.YY would not be a surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
              ​​​​​​Barring injury she seems to be a certainty for gold at Eugene 2022 and Paris 2024.
              +Budapest 2023

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Clearly she is NOT using the current biomechanical model - any coach can see that - the question is: will our model (I think J Edwards embodied it best and he had a very good LJ at the end too) be rethought (unlikely); is Rojas's model the best for her (remains to be seen); will Rojas try to get closer to the current model (possible, and I (for one and only?) think she should at least experiment with it, but it would have to be now, early in the pre-season).

Messing with a winner is a terrible gamble, but what if she can go 16m with better phase distribution? The additional problem is no one is pushing her to have to be better.
                Some useful analysis from the summer showing the lengths of her 3 phases:

https://twitter.com/track_stats/stat...634421765?s=21

The thing that took her to the world record in Tokyo was her speed going into the jump phase, which was preceded by considerably the shortest step phase of her three jumps over 15m in the final 3.82m vs 4.21 and 4.10. A 5.99 jump phase augurs extremely well for her long jump

Comment

Working...
                X