Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rhizobium View Post

The stream shows as geoblocked when using a NZ VPN.
    not for me _ I'll be watching in 90 mins.

Another option is to becomes a VPN-Canadian and watch on CBC

Comment

• Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post

not for me _ I'll be watching in 90 mins.

Another option is to becomes a VPN-Canadian and watch on CBC
      I got it working with a UAE VPN.

Comment

• A few events already conducted with Barber and Beecher both placing. And a decent run from Beck.

Now for the 100m heats.

Comment

• Browning ran a decent heat for just his second start this year but not sure he can challenge Coleman in the final. Wondering too if he has a sore back/hip from seeing him post-race.

I always seem to criticise Hannah England & Jenny Meadows for their pronunciations of names, Today I laughed when they said 'Rohan' (also on his bib!) as if it was a land in the Lord of the Rings instead of 'Rowan' but the names they are calling some of the JPN athletes bear no relation to their actual names.

Comment

• Hannah is pronouncing Long Jumper Tsuha as "Toosha" and earlier High Jumper Akamatsu was something like 'Akashushu'.

Comment

• A number of Australians competed succesfully at the San Juan Capistrano distance meet in California on the 6th, with a number of PBs set.

Sam McEntee (b. 92) ran 13:24.26 for 11th in the M5000 Final 1, behind winner Jakob Ingebrigtsen (13:02.02). This seems to be his 3rd fastest time ever after his PB of 13:17.55 from 2017 and 13:20.72 from 2016, both set at Palo Alto.

In the 5000m Final 2, Jack Bruce (b. 94) finished 8th in 13:51.93, his 6th fastest time ever, but well down on his aged PB of 13:28.57 set back in 2018 in Palo Alto.

Mick Sanovsek (b. 97) finished 10th in his debut 5000 in a PB 13:57.73. Sanovsek has mainly been an 800/1500 runner, previously.

Isaac Heyne (b. 00) was a DNF.

In the big race, the 10000, Brett Robinson finished second in a PB of 27:51.51, 2.5s behind winner Zouhair Talbi (MAR) with 27:49.08. This run also included a rare scalp of Henrik Ingebrigtsen, who was way down in 21st, over a minute behind Robinson.

Robinson now stands at # 18 AT AUS with only his 2nd 10000 under 28 minutes and improves on his previous best of 27:58.97 at Nijmegen in 2019, six weeks after he set his marathon PB of 2:10:55 in London. Things are looking good for fast marathons this year.

Carley Thomas (b. 00) came 5th in Final 2 of the W800 with 2:03.58. That's her fastest outdoor 800 since she ran her 2:01.01 PB back in 2019 in London followed by a 6th in the heat of the WC in Doha. She came 6th at Nationals this year in 2:06.94, after not breaking 2:05 previously. Hopefully, she is back on track to close in on 2 flat later this year.

Abbey Caldwell (b. 01) finished 6th in the W1500 Final 1 in 4:05.55, behind Canadian superstar Gabriela Debues-Stafford's winning time of 4:03.20. This was her second fastest time this year, and also lifetime # 2, after her 4:04.79 at The Crest Athletics Centre back in March.

Natalie Rule (b. 96) finished 3rd in the W5000 Final 1 in a new PB of 15:06.50, only her third time under 16m after she first achieved this in LapinLahti way back in 2019 with a 15:39.33. After a couple of indifferent seasons, she set a new PB of 15:10.24 in taking bronze at this year's Nationals. Another athlete that seems back on track.

In Final 2, Paige Campbell (b. 96) finished 6th in 15:36.68, her second fastest time after her PB of 15:31.50 set in Sydney in 2019. She also trimmed her SB of 15:36.95 set at the Payton Jordan Invitational at Stanford at the end of April.

Rose Davies (b. 99) in finished 3rd in the W10000 in a PB 31:18.54, her second time under 32 minutes after her PB of 31:39.97 set in winning the Zatopek at Box Hill in January 2021.

Izzy Batt-Doyle (b. 95) finished 7th in 31:58.25, also her 2nd time under 32, although 15 seconds behind her PB of 31:43.26 run when finishing second behind Davies in that 2021 Zatopek race.

Comment

• Seiko Golden Grand Prix 08 May 2022

M400

4. Alex Beck (b.92) 45.79

Beck continues his late career improvement with his 3rd fastest time ever, behind his 45.54 PB set in the Heats of the Tokyo OG and his 45.72 set in winning the 2021 Qld Champs.

W200

2. Jacinta Beecher (b.98) 23.24 (-0.1)

Beecher did not repeat her double PB heroics from Shizuoka on the 3rd but still manages her 5th fastest time ever, with all five being run into a headwind. More importantly, she finished between quality USA athletes Lynna Erby 23.09 and Anglerne Annelus 23.39.

Although both athletes have relatively old PBs of 22.25 (+0.6, 2018) for Irbay and 22.16 (+1.3, 2019) for Annelus, it should be a psychological boost for Beecher. While she won't get close to either of those athlete's PB this year, hopefully she can push her PB down towards 22.50 and run regularly within a tenth or two of that.

WJT

3. Kelsey-Lee Barber (b.91) 61.00

Comment

• Seiko Golden Grand Prix 08 May 2022

M100m Final +0.1

3. Rohan Browning (B.97) 10.23 (10.29 -0.4 Ht 2)

6. Jake Doran (b.98) 10.32 (10.40 -0.3 Ht 1)

M110H +0.1

3. Nicholas Hough (b.93) 13.49 Fastest this year and his 5th best all time. PB 13.38 ( -0.3) for 3rd in 2018 CWG Final.

M3000SC

9. Ben Buckingham (b.91) 8:40.34

MHJ

5. Brandon Starc (b. 93) 2.20

MLJ

3. Henry Frayne (b.90) 7.93 (+0.8)

6. Christopher Mitrevski (b.96) 7.75 (+0.2)

W1500

1. Georgia Griffith (b.96) 4:06.04 Fastest this year and her 3rd fastest all time. PB 4:04.17 for 5th in Final of 2018 CWG.

Comment

• Stew McSweyn is (along with Matt Ramsden) down to compete in the Doha DL 1500m this week. After his covid issues earlier in the year, it will be interesting to see how he does.

Other Aussies listed include Jess Hulls, Peter Bol, Brandon Starc & Ben Buckingham.

Comment

• Also on the distance front, there was an article in the Canberra Times about local runner Leanne Pompeani and her quest to make the CWG 10000m. I don't recall ever seeing her name before or, if I did, I forgot it, so here's some background.

She ran a fast 10k of 31:43 on the roads a week ago for second place in the Sydney10 behind Lisa Weightman's 31:20, which was just shy of the 31:17 NR of Benita Willis at the 2006 Great North Run in Manchester.

The previous fastest time in Australia was 31:45 by Krishna Stanton way back in 1987, so Weightman and Pompeani are now #s 1 & 2 on Australian soil and #s 2 & 3 all time anywhere in the world.

Full Sydney10 race story at https://mybestruns.com/rn8402.html

For comparison, the AUS alltime top track times with inserted road times are:

1 30:37.68 Benita WILLIS-JOHNSON 23 AUG 2003
                      2 31:11.72 Lisa ONDIEKI 30 JUN 1992
                      3 31:14.94 Eloise WELLINGS 12 AUG 2016
                      - 31:17 (road) Willis 2006
                      4 31:18.54 Rose DAVIES 06 MAY 2022
                      5 31:18.89 Ellie PASHLEY 28 SEP 2019
                      - 31:20 (road) Weightman
                      6 31:25.49 Sinead DIVER 28 SEP 2019
                      7 31:26.34 Susie POWER 06 DEC 2001
                      8 31:41.10 Madeleine HILLS 05 MAY 2017
                      - 31:43 (road) Pompeani
                      9 31:43.14 Hayley MCGREGOR 04 DEC 2003
                      10 31:43.26 Isobel BATT-DOYLE 26 JAN 2021

The CT article said that road 10ks would be considered for CWG selection due to the limited number of track runs available in the qualifying window. Assuming this is true, the AA CWG target time is 31:25.00 with nobody currently listed by AA as qualified.

However, we know that Rose Davies' PB 31:18.54 track run at San Juan Capistrano will have her added at the next update and I'm assuming Weightman's 31:20 on the roads will also be a qualifer, leaving one space.

Pompeani has only until 12 June 2022 to qualify but she was quoted in the article as intending to run the 10k at the Gold Coast marathon to try and hit the qualifying but that race is on 3 July, past the window. I don't know how much flexibility AA has built into their distance selection, so we will see what happens.
                      Last edited by El Toro; 05-10-2022, 08:23 AM. Reason: To correct spelling. Her nam is Pomp_E_ani not Pomp_I_ani

Comment

• Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
                        Stew McSweyn is (along with Matt Ramsden) down to compete in the Doha DL 1500m this week. After his covid issues earlier in the year, it will be interesting to see how he does.

Other Aussies listed include Jess Hulls, Peter Bol, Brandon Starc & Ben Buckingham.
                        I will be interested in Doha results but don't expect anything super amazing at this early stage.

W1500

Jessica Hull returns to the scene of her NR 8:36.03 back in 2020 but that NR makes her only 8th fastest on PBs in this field. Hull set that NR in her first outdoor 3000 since 2014 when her PB was 9:08:85 and has not run outdoors since then.

While she has avoided this distance in favour of 5000 outdoors, she has run 3000 indoors most recent years, including this year when she ran her second fastest 3000 (in or out) of 8:39.79 in College Stations as part of her preparation for the WIC where she finished 6th in 8:44.97.

Her strong indoor season and the fast field should drag help her to a fast time, although probably not a new NR given that the Doha event in 2020 was held at the end of September and came a month after her 14:43.80 NR in Monaco and a two weeks after a then NR 4:00.42 at ISTAF.

3:58.81 NR 2021
                        8:36.03 NR 2020
                        14:43.80 NR 2020

M1500

Stewart McSweyn is one of only three athletes in the field with PBs under 3:30 but this will probably mean little in this early season race where most of the filed is opening their seasons at this distance.

Matthew Ramsden is the second Australian and has had difficulty in progressing as much as expected over the last year. Still, he has the talent to be competitive at this level but given his struggles in the domestic season and McSweyn's bout of COVID earlier, we shouldn't expect too much from this pair until later in the season.

M800

Peter Bol should be at the pointy end of the field as he seemed to put 80% into the domestic season and still demonstrated complete mastery of his competitors. He wants to be running in the 1:43s this year and I wouldn't bet against that happening.

MHJ

Brandon Starc didn't competed domestically after his impressive 5th place in the Tokyo final last year. His first comps since then happened twice last week in Japan, clearing 2.20 both times.

The last time he had a double in JPN to open his international season was 2018 when he started with 2.25/2.28 but this was a month after the CWG where he won with 2.32. He went on to set his PB of 2.36 at Eberstadt at the end of August.

However, with this year's rust busters over, we should get an indication in Doha if he is going to be able to repeat his CWG victory from 2018. He jumped 2.27 in Doha last year but his best in the city is his 2.30 6th place from the 2019 WC.

M3000SC

Ben Buckingham goes into this meet with the second slowest PB (8:20.95) in the field, and one of only three athletes with bests over 8:20. He opened his campaign in Japan with 8:40.34, so it's likely to be very tough for him to get ahead of many in this field, even allowing for the fact that this is the first steeple this season for most of the field.

To be competitive in this event this year he will need to absolutely smash the NR of Shaun Creighton of 8:16.22 set way back in 1993. His PB, which makes him AUS # 4 alltime performer was set in the Heats of the OG last year but was only good enough for 7th place, indicating the depth of performers in the 8:10-8:20 range.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Toro View Post
                          ... just shy of the 31:17 NR of Benita Willis at the 2006 Great North Run in Manchester.
                          It's not that important but that would have been the Great Manchester Run. The Great North Run is the half marathon that starts in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and ends on the seafront in South Shields ... The one where Farah, Geb & Bekele raced each other a few years ago.

I'm interested to see the outcome this Sunday of the Women's 20km at the Oceania and Australian Open 35km Race Walking Championships ... Jemima Montag versus Olympic silver medalist Sandra Lorena Arenas (COL). Montag is actually 1st in the World Rankings (over-ranked by 2 or 3 places, IMO) and Arenas 3rd. Montag's PB is better by 36 seconds but I think Arenas could go sub-1:27 (not necessarily on Sunday though).

Preview: https://www.athletics.com.au/news/wa...stralian-35km/

It always pees me off a bit that the Australian RW Championships aren't live streamed.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

It's not that important but that would have been the Great Manchester Run. The Great North Run is the half marathon that starts in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and ends on the seafront in South Shields ... The one where Farah, Geb & Bekele raced each other a few years ago.
                            'tis important and thanks for the correction.

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
                            It always pees me off a bit that the Australian RW Championships aren't live streamed.
                            Oh, they are, it's just that it's invitation only for the enjoyment of the very finest of people.

Comment

• Doha Diamond League report from Athletics Australia:

https://www.athletics.com.au/news/po...iamond-league/

Also, their preview, which wasn't published when I did mine. I should have waited a day and saved myself the effort. Studious posters can do a compare and contrast and get a grading for free!

https://www.athletics.com.au/news/pr...amond-league-/

Comment

• Originally posted by El Toro View Post

Oh, they are, it's just that it's invitation only for the enjoyment of the very finest of people.
                                Are you referring to the single camera streams this guy does? - https://www.facebook.com/visiontrack...d/live_videos/

Or, is there something better that I'm not aware of? Believe me, I've searched high and wide many times in the past.

Comment

Working...
                                X