Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    I am from The Old School. A Millrose Games not at Madison Square Garden is not the Millrose Games. And I do not mean that place down on 33rd St. above the train station, I mean the REAL Madison Square Garden up at 50th Street. The memories...
    I'm also from The Old School and I'm sure we share many of the same memories. I was one of the biggest critics when it was first announced that Millrose was moving uptown to the Armory, but I quickly became a convert after the first edition took place in 2012. Combined with the after-party at Coogan's, the meet has provided its own collection of treasured memories.

Comment

I am from The Old School. A Millrose Games not at Madison Square Garden is not the Millrose Games. And I do not mean that place down on 33rd St. above the train station, I mean the REAL Madison Square Garden up at 50th Street. The memories...
      The REAL Madison Square Garden...?

14 Photos Of Madison Square Garden II, 1890-1925 - Gothamist

The original Garden (1879-1889) was located on the same site.

Madison Square Garden (1879) - Wikipedia

It was torn down and the second one was built.

Comment

And looking at the photos from Garden III, I must agree that it was a bad idea to move out of 50th Street, and in the process tear down the original Penn Station to make way for number IV. Number III could easily have been modernized for the 21st century.

For the record, I've never been to III. I was only 2 years old when it was demolished.

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

And looking at the photos from Garden III, I must agree that it was a bad idea to move out of 50th Street, and in the process tear down the original Penn Station to make way for number IV. Number III could easily have been modernized for the 21st century.

For the record, I've never been to III. I was only 2 years old when it was demolished.
          Great info, Cooky, thank you !

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Murphy View Post

Millrose will be on NBC 2:30pm-4:30pmET
            Thanks. I will mark that on my calendar.

Comment

I missed MSG III by a year...my first Garden event was a Knicks game in 1969. If you want to see some vitriol, check out any social media page referencing Penn Station. I understand there were significant financial reasons for replacing it but the building was beautiful and those so inclined lambaste everyone from Robert Wagner to Robert Moses.

Can I be grandfathered into attending MSG II since I worked in the NY Life Building for a couple of years and that was built to replace MSG II.

Comment

If Mu has at least one race under her belt, and can balance herself well on the Armory turns (I thought I heard that it was a problem in 2019 when Roisin Willis beat her at the NBIN), Jolanda Čeplak's WR of 1:55.82 could get a big scare.

I hope she goes to Boston and attacks Kratochvílová's now-40-year-old WR of 49.59.

Comment

To quote the Beatles, It's better all the time.

FI1cSqOXMAAuLqd?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Comment

If Mu has at least one race under her belt, and can balance herself well on the Armory turns (I thought I heard that it was a problem in 2019 when Roisin Willis beat her at the NBIN), Jolanda Čeplak's WR of 1:55.82 could get a big scare.

I hope she goes to Boston and attacks Kratochvílová's now-40-year-old WR of 49.59.
                    More than likely wont happen. Both these times are identical to her outdoor pb. Maybe fayetville or texas a&m track.

Comment

Mu has had Covid recently, so I doubt there will be any attacking of Kratochvílovás records. The again she might surprise me.
                      Apparently Ignorance is bliss

Comment

All efforts by RW athletes to enter the meet, which is serving as the 3000m Indoor Champs instead of the Spokane meet, have been met by complete inaction by USATF staff, which is refusing to provide any information on to complete this process. Requests began on 12/21 and the Events/HP Depts have refused to publicly release what the policy will be, thus making is nearly impossible for athletes to arrange for travel and lodging.

Comment

Originally posted by MJR View Post
                          All efforts by RW athletes to enter the meet have been met by complete inaction by USATF staff, . . . making it nearly impossible for athletes to arrange for travel and lodging.
                          Is there any possibility of seceding from USATF and liaising directly with WA/IOC as your own NGB for a separate sport (RW)?

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Murphy View Post

I'm also from The Old School and I'm sure we share many of the same memories. I was one of the biggest critics when it was first announced that Millrose was moving uptown to the Armory, but I quickly became a convert after the first edition took place in 2012. Combined with the after-party at Coogan's, the meet has provided its own collection of treasured memories.
                            Alas, Coogan's has closed for good.

Given the way things are going here in NYC right now with omicron, and given the very close quarters inside the Armory, I would not be surprised if this meet doesn't go off as planned or does so either with spectator restrictions or without spectators at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              Is there any possibility of seceding from USATF and liaising directly with WA/IOC as your own NGB for a separate sport (RW)?
                              No. Ppl just need to do their jobs and stop being obstructionist.

Comment

Sked out now.

https://www.millrosegames.org/s/Sche...rose-Games.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X