Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USATF World Indoor Champs Team Selection Process

Shouldn't something like this be published by now? I would think around now would be a good time to publish the process for World Outdoors.

Is this not it?

https://assets.aws.worldathletics.or...2d9176e4dd.pdf

and we know these people are in

Women
    60m – Javianne Oliver (USA)
    800m – Habitam Alemu (ETH)
    3000m – Lemlem Hailu (ETH)
    Pole vault – Iryna Zhuk (BLR)
    Triple jump – Liadagmis Povea (CUB)
    Shot put – Auriol Dongmo (POR)

Men
    400m – Pavel Maslak (CZE)
    1500m – Selemon Barega (ETH)
    60m hurdles – Grant Holloway (USA)
    High jump – Gianmarco Tamberi (ITA)
    Long jump – Juan Miguel Echevarria (CUB)

https://worldathletics.org/news/news...cards-belgrade

Comment

Meant something like this from the aborted 2020 indoor

https://www.flipsnack.com/usatf/2020...full-view.html

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        But how will the US actually decide who goes? Even though the tour winner gets a wild card, USATF could theoretically say they want a reigning world champion to automatically go (assuming they have the entry standard). For example, if Trayvon Bromell or Christina Clemons win the 2022 world Indoor Tour, USATF could decide that C Coleman and K Harrison get to automatically go as long as they have the entry time.

"The Member Federation of the World Indoor Tour winner will have the ultimate authority to enter the athlete or not, based on its own criteria or qualification system."

Or they could even go back and say the 2019/2020 world indoor tour winner gets a wild card since they missed out on that chance due to covid. (Strother, Eaton, Clemons and Baker all originally secured wild cards to Nanjing)
        Last edited by ATK; 01-04-2022, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
          But how will the US actually decide who goes? Even though the tour winner gets a wild card, USATF could theoretically say they want a reigning world champion to automatically go (assuming they have the entry standard). For example, if Trayvon Bromell or Christina Clemons win the 2022 world Indoor Tour, USATF could decide that C Coleman and K Harrison get to automatically go as long as they have the entry time.

"The Member Federation of the World Indoor Tour winner will have the ultimate authority to enter the athlete or not, based on its own criteria or qualification system."
          I would imagine they will follow their own outdoor precedent - choose the reigning World Champ over the Wild Card. I'm not sure if that was ever put in writing, but it's what they've done, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

I would imagine they will follow their own outdoor precedent - choose the reigning World Champ over the Wild Card. I'm not sure if that was ever put in writing, but it's what they've done, yes?
            Not for indoors. Indoors I don't think the world champ ever gets a wild card to the next worlds (see donley's reference from the 2020 process). But Just highlighting that the Federation (USATF) can ultimately decide to send whoever they want.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
              Not for indoors. Indoors I don't think the world champ ever gets a wild card to the next worlds
              Ever is a long time. I would not put it past them to try and codify their policies, by doing indoors what they have done outdoors. It makes them look like they know what they're doing by being consistent.

Comment

Working...
              X