Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your first autograph...

"Your 44"45, Darrell Robinson" at the Meeting de Paris, 1986. He was super kind.
    Last edited by 79; 01-07-2022, 09:54 PM.

Romuald Klim, M HT, Soviet Union, USA/USSR meet, LA Coliseum, 1964?. This was shortly after I began studying Russian.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

I have always been reluctant about asking athletes or any celebrity for autographs.

Comment

Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
        I have always been reluctant about asking athletes or any celebrity for autographs.
        I was very young then.

Comment

Originally posted by 79 View Post

I was very young then.
          Oh, I understand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
            That's why you always take a child with you (preferably 8 or older). You hold the program and give the pen to the child. Then you go up to the athlete, ask for an autograph, smile and nod to the kid, kid holds up pen, athlete takes it and signs program. We crushed it at the 84 LA Olympics . . . Carl Lewis, Johhny Gray, Roger Kingdom, Edwin Moses, Henry Marsh, Stones, Banks, and some lesser lights.
            For some reason, I couldn't bring myself to do that to women, with one necessary exception, my GOAT, JJK.

Comment

I only ever asked one athlete for an autograph (Quincy Watts), and it was at the request of one of my student workers.

Otherwise, I only want signatures on checks

Comment

My first—and only—autographs:

img20220107_16254266.jpg

Comment

January, 1962 when I was 10, and when Peter Snell turned up with Lydiard at the local grass running track of Greerton, a suburb of Tauranga, to train running repeat 440s.

There 4 of us local boys playing at the park. No one else was there.

Comment

1971 at Gil Hodges Bowling Lanes in Brooklyn. Me and my friends were just about to leave when who walks in but Gil Hodges himself. Understand that to my parents, Gil Hodges was a close second to Jesus. He gave us his autograph and I brought it home to my mother. She placed it in my confirmation bible.

A month or so later Gil Hodges died of a heart attack on the golf course right before the start of the season.

I never asked another athlete for an autograph. That bible was lost somewhere along the way as my parents had it for many years after I left the house.

Comment

Other autographs I have are Tom Lehrer and Frank Drake, both obtained by my daughter Mila when she was at UC Santa Cruz.
                      Cheers,
                      Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                        1971 at Gil Hodges Bowling Lanes in Brooklyn. Me and my friends were just about to leave when who walks in but Gil Hodges himself. Understand that to my parents, Gil Hodges was a close second to Jesus. He gave us his autograph and I brought it home to my mother. She placed it in my confirmation bible.

A month or so later Gil Hodges died of a heart attack on the golf course right before the start of the season.

I never asked another athlete for an autograph. That bible was lost somewhere along the way as my parents had it for many years after I left the house.
                        We know nothing about baseball in France. Just googled his name. He seems to be an iconic Hall of famer... Great and touching way to describe your first (and last) autograph, NotDutra5 🙂👍🏻

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          That's why you always take a child with you (preferably 8 or older). You hold the program and give the pen to the child. Then you go up to the athlete, ask for an autograph, smile and nod to the kid, kid holds up pen, athlete takes it and signs program. We crushed it at the 84 LA Olympics . . . Carl Lewis, Johhny Gray, Roger Kingdom, Edwin Moses, Henry Marsh, Stones, Banks, and some lesser lights.
                          For some reason, I couldn't bring myself to do that to women, with one necessary exception, my GOAT, JJK.
                          Well, I must say, you do have a plan. LOL!!

Comment

Not really one for autographs but I do have Seb Coe's from 1981. I also have Erki Nool's. Coincidentally, both are of the select group of Olympic Champions who have also been members of their country's parliament.

Comment

In the summer of '57 there was a quiz show on T.V. in the New York area titled "Happy Felton's It's a Hit." Felton did pre and post game TV shows for the Brooklyn Dodgers. In this show two groups got to compete against each other for the winnings. My day camp was competing for an electric typewriter. Major leage baseball players were the managers of each team. I was selected among eight others to represent our camp. Our manager was Roy Campanella, my favorite player (even though I wasn't interested in being a catcher). It was six months before his auto accident. I got to sit next to him for the entire "game." And of course I got his autograph. Wally Moon was then playing for the Cardinals and was other group's manager. I didn't even ask him for his autograph.

Comment

Working...
                              X