Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeremyp
    replied
    When in College c. 1960-1 I competed in the Shot against HJ'r WR indoor star John Thomas. I asked him for his autograph and my team mates got quite derisive. My last autograph was in 1963 from Emil Zatopek. I'd promised a friend I'd get it and sent it on. Oh...Thomas beat me in the Shot.

Leave a comment:

• Master Mirthmaker
    replied
    I have only a very few autographs. Can't remember which one was first at the same Meet.
    John Davies [ winner of the 1 mile in 4:15.1] & John Pennel [jumped 16-06.25] @ the Feb. 5, 1966 Phila. Inquirer Indoor Meet, Convention Hall , Phila.
    . T&FN had a quite generous 10,000 spectators. This was a probably a "paper" , attendance figure.

Leave a comment:

• Django
    replied
    Originally posted by Fortius19 View Post

I live near Modesto and train on their track regularly. Sad that are no more Modesto Relays.
    I agree completely! It was so much fun to be able to see legendary runners and great races!
    After Snell’s great mile there, I was pumped, and young and fit so, with minimal or perhaps zero warmup, I’d pulled on my spikes, and ran a lap in 60 seconds, while imagining myself in the race I’d witnessed a short time earlier.
    My pals and I were poor students, ad pooled our meager resources to buy gas for the round trip from Reno, then unfurled our sleeping bags in a quiet corner of the athletes’ warmup area

Leave a comment:

• steveu
    replied
    Francie Larrieu, 1976 or 77, I think.

Leave a comment:

• Fortius19
    replied
    Originally posted by Django View Post
    I had two in my life. The first was at Modesto, ...

My second and last autograph was also at Modesto, ...
    I live near Modesto and train on their track regularly. Sad that are no more Modesto Relays.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post

You'd really rather have Moses the hurdler than Moses the tablets dude?

That sort of boggles.
    Well, if it comes with a Certificate of Authenticity then I'm there . . .

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post

others (would have really liked) - Bob Seagren, Skeets, TSmith&JCarlos, Moses (the hurdler, not the tablets dude), R
    You'd really rather have Moses the hurdler than Moses the tablets dude?

That sort of boggles.

Leave a comment:

• Big Tusk
    replied
    Kimani, J Torres, Ritzenhein, & Slattery signed my program after the 5000m at 2002 NCAA outdoors. Not sure which of them signed first, so we'll call it a tie.

Leave a comment:

• Django
    replied
    I had two in my life. The first was at Modesto, where I’d gone to see the mile competition, which had even been written up on the cover of Sports Illustrated, as a clash between Herb Elliot and Dyrol Burleson. I was watching Elliot warming up when I was approached by another athlete, who asked whether I’d help him to pin in his competition number. Of course, I helped, and learned that his name was Jim Beatty, and I asked him to sign the latest issue of T&F News. Strangely, that issue, with his autograph, was mailed to him just a few months ago!
    My second and last autograph was also at Modesto, this time from Peter Snell! I had with me a photo of Snell that I’d purchased from T&F News that depicted Snell in the Rome 800m final, probably about 120 m from the finish, and Snell was very gracious in signing it just minutes before running a mile against Beatty and a great field, in which he exploded into a fantastic sprint over the last 200 m.
    Another encounter with a famous person ( no autograph) came when my plane landed at SFO, and I was walking up the ramp to the terminal, and I saw a familiar face, and for a moment, thought it belonged to someone I knew, and I was trying to remember his name and say hello. It was Joe DiMaggio, and he got a laugh because he read the story in my face!

Leave a comment:

• Fortius19
    replied
    My one and only autograph was Billy Mills. He came to our HS my freshman year and gave a talk. I don't remember a word. Afterwards he was signing autographs. I didn't have any paper and he was mobbed, so I just went back to class. I couldn't stop thinking about getting his autograph, so I tore a blank page out of the back of my textbook and left class to go back to the auditorium. He was alone with the track coach and I got his autograph. He asked the coach if I was on the track team and he said yes. I was a 330yIH and had no idea what Mills' event was. Just that he was the best at one point in time, winning a Gold medal. I threw it away in my 20's when 'decluttering'.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    Stan Musial was my childhood idol, and after a 1957 Dodgers-Cardinals game at Brooklyn's Ebbets Field, I waited outside by the Cardinal's bus, hoping to get Stan's autograph. He was mobbed by a crowd of kids including me. He signed for none of us, but at least I got to touch him on his left wrist. How many of you ever got to touch Stan Musial on his left wrist ? Sadly, also my last trip to Ebbets Field, as the Dodgers skipped town to LA after that 1957 season along with their Polo Grounds counterparts, the Giants.
    Same feeling about THE legend Edwin Moses when I was 14... The simple fact to touch his shoulder as he was among the crowd in the stadium was like touching God. There was a sort of unreal mystic aura around this unique personality.
    Last edited by 79; 01-10-2022, 04:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Stan Musial was my childhood idol, and after a 1957 Dodgers-Cardinals game at Brooklyn's Ebbets Field, I waited outside by the Cardinal's bus, hoping to get Stan's autograph. He was mobbed by a crowd of kids including me. He signed for none of us, but at least I got to touch him on his left wrist. How many of you ever got to touch Stan Musial on his left wrist ? Sadly, also my last trip to Ebbets Field, as the Dodgers skipped town to LA after that 1957 season along with their Polo Grounds counterparts, the Giants.

Leave a comment:

• Wiederganger
    replied
    The problem with autographs is you often have no idea of whose they are, unless you make a note or attach it to a photograph. Some are just scribbles.

I do recall a funny story in Gotzis 2016. I was there with Flumpy and @mump , journalising 😁. One of them was convinced that the dark haired, willowy, 6ft+ woman giving out awards was former heptathlete Rita Ináncsi. He proceeded to ask for her autograph, which she politely gave with a smile. It turned out it was of course someone completely different, a Dr whose company were one of the sponsors. (who we childishly called Dr Oetker thereafter).

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    My older brother ran the quarter (about 50 flat his usual ) for Duke in 1960, and at the Penn Relays after running a mile relay, some kid asked for his autograph walking out of Franklin Field. The kid looked at it afterwards, with a disappointed look on his face. My bro had red hair, just like a famous sprinter from Duke, by then in Med school, but running an invitational 100 that day. Guess who the kid thought my bro was ? !
    The Great "I Am"

Leave a comment:

• mcgato
    replied
    Probably told this before: Jesse Owens was the speaker at my high school’s athletic banquet and I got his autograph. No idea where it is. My neighbor was a school reporter and interviewed him. She got a nice autograph for my older brother who ran track. He still has that since it was a long paragraph of inspiration plus autograph.
    Also got autographs after Millrose games at a nearby eatery. I approached a table with Amy Acuff, Chaunte Lowe, Jenny Adams, and a couple pole vaulters. They were very friendly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X