Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We knew this was coming - Mboma in the 100.

https://neweralive.na/posts/mboma-stars-in-100m

Comment

Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. 11.25 isn't going to do any damage. We also don't know the wind readings yet. However, it was clear by the end of the '21 season, once Mboma had gotten into 200m running, she wasn't as slow over the first 100m as people suggested and was massively better than the start of the season. In Brussels, she was less than a stride behind Richardson coming off the turn, and a just over a stride behind DAS. In Zurich it was the same, she was 1 stride behind Kambundji, and ahead of Neita & Bryant. An 11.2 to kick off 2022 makes complete sense in that context.

When she sorts out her first 60m, which is her weakness, then perhaps we shall see 21.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
        Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. 11.25 isn't going to do any damage.
        And she didn't do any damage with her first 200s.
        Methinks she will figure it out and be competitive at the 100 also.
        If we're letting her run the 100/200, it's just silly to say no to the 400.
        Let her do her damage and then figure out what to do with her.
        Right now I'd say create a division with DSDs and M2F trans in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Let her do her damage and then figure out what to do with her.
          Right now I'd say create a division with DSDs and M2F trans in it.
          What did we do with the other women with DSD that 'did damage'? Do you think Semenya was the first gold medalist with DSD? There have been others, and they have been largely left alone - as they should be.

There aren't enough elite athletes to create a whole new category.

The impact of women with DSD & trans women on the sport is exaggerated. Let us put our effort and resources into doping instead, the biggest evil in the sport, and with much, much bigger numbers of past & present medalists compared to women with DSD.

Comment

The impact of women with DSD & trans women on the sport is exaggerated.
            Unless, of course, you are an elite runner who was 'cheated' (strong word, but I'll go with it here) out of winning prize-money (aka one's livelihood) by someone with a clear and admitted advantage.

Comment

Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. 11.25 isn't going to do any damage. We also don't know the wind readings yet. However, it was clear by the end of the '21 season, once Mboma had gotten into 200m running, she wasn't as slow over the first 100m as people suggested and was massively better than the start of the season. In Brussels, she was less than a stride behind Richardson coming off the turn, and a just over a stride behind DAS. In Zurich it was the same, she was 1 stride behind Kambundji, and ahead of Neita & Bryant. An 11.2 to kick off 2022 makes complete sense in that context.

When she sorts out her first 60m, which is her weakness, then perhaps we shall see 21.5.
              She's young and pretty slight and the power needed for a strong start and to build through the race will come. That strength will also help to tidy up her arm action and reduce some of the wasted energy early on in the race.

Comment

'We' includes 'You' in this case. Anyone can start a thread.
                Ah, to transgress the the 11th commandment. "Thou shalt not start a second thread on the same topic." Oh well, it looks like we've already moved on after exactly eight entries, not counting my tit and your tat, so maybe this doesn't deserve its own thread, because "we", meaning all of us, don't really give two hoots in a holler about those performances. Well, we give eight hoots.

Comment

Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. 11.25 isn't going to do any damage.
                  Pick almost any top name from SAFP, to Carmelita Jeter, to Ta Lou, to Asher-Smith. The year they won their first major medal, their season opener was not necessarily indicative of where they finished the year.

I would say 11.25 is great and a likely continuation of the improvement she was making all of 2021. The 100m podium will be tough though, but no way I bet against her making the podium in the 200m at this point.
                  Last edited by ATK; 01-19-2022, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steele View Post
                    Well, we give eight hoots.

Better than some exchanges around here!
                    But yes, you certainly can start a thread about ARs that cropped up in another thread.
                    Last edited by Atticus; 01-19-2022, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Transgender "women" are not women. Transgender "men" are not men. We do not need three divisions. Open and (Biological) Female accommodates everyone.

Comment

The impact of women with DSD & trans women on the sport is exaggerated.
                        Tell Gabby Thomas or Melissa Bishop that with a straight face. How much money did Obiri miss out on by losing to a DSD athlete in the DL 5k final?

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                          Transgender "women" are not women. Transgender "men" are not men.
                          The 1950s called. They want to congratulate you for still living there.

Seriously though, the whole issue is extremely problematic right now, and we need both sides to calm the eff down and see the bare logic (of which you ARE on the right side!).

Comment

The 1950s called. They want to congratulate you for still living there.

Seriously though, the whole issue is extremely problematic right now, and we need both sides to calm the eff down and see the bare logic (of which you ARE on the right side!).
                            I am also happy to be living in the 1950s on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                              I am also happy to be living in the 1950s on this issue.
                              So, if you were in an earnest conversation with someone you 'otherwise' respected, and 'she' (a man who has transitioned to 'female') said she was much happier now that she was a woman (gender, not sex), what would your response be? I would hope it would be 'I'm glad to hear that', rather than, 'you are still a man.'

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Still trying to wrap my head around this one. The entirety of her profile doesn't add up to an AR.
                                Some runners respond better to super shoes than others. Apparently, she is a very high responder.

Comment

Working...
                                X