Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new idea for tiebreakers (jump-offs) in the HJ and PV

1. Each jumper secretly chooses a height they will attempt. They can choose as high as they want, but no lower than whatever the starting height was in the first round of the competition. They're only going to get one attempt at their chosen height.

2. The heights are revealed. If the heights are different, higher height goes first. If they're equal, whoever didn't attempt the most recent jump will go first.

3. An athlete wins by:
    (a) making the higher height if the heights are different, or
    (b) clearing their chosen height when the other jumper missed theirs.

If both missed their attempts, or both made an equal height, go back to step 1, with each choosing a different height.

If there are 3 or more athletes in the jump-off, the same principles can be extended to them: Best made height of the group wins; the competition continues into another round only if all missed their chosen height, or 2 or more tied by clearing the same height. You could whittle the group down to two faster by eliminating the jumper with the lowest chosen height if all missed their attempts.

Too many variables. The audience has to quickly understand what is going on.

Comment

HJ not broken . . don't fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        HJ not broken . . don't fix.
        Heck, I worked HJ for years and I could not follow that procedure

Comment

I could just about follow it. One of my issues is that you will be asking jumpers to spend time making a decision about choosing a height that will only be relevant on the very rare occasion that there is both a tie for 1st and them being in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
            I could just about follow it. One of my issues is that you will be asking jumpers to spend time making a decision about choosing a height that will only be relevant on the very rare occasion that there is both a tie for 1st and them being in it.
            They won't have to spend time on that until after they've been through all the usual rounds of jumps and it's down to jump-off to decide the winner. At that point they'll get a break of several minutes to decide their jump-off height. It's not something they'd have to decide before the competition starts.

Comment

Trying to figure out why this would be better than awarding 2 gold medals.

Comment

There should never be 2 gold medals. If there's a tie that can't practically be resolved or the athletes choose not to resolve it, give them an electrum medal (gold-silver alloy).

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                  There should never be 2 gold medals. If there's a tie that can't practically be resolved or the athletes choose not to resolve it, give them an electrum medal (gold-silver alloy).
                  Clearly you did not notice that a feel-good highlight of the Olympics was the Barshim/Tamberi ending. Every now and then, a tie is just what we need. If there's a team score to consider, jump-em-off (the O-F way).

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                    Would you do the same if you can't split the first 2 in a track race?

Comment

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
                      Trying to figure out why this would be better than awarding 2 gold medals.
                      That is my solution. A tie is a tie.

Comment

A single 4th attempt at the last height, then leave them tied.

Comment

No system is perfect, but IMO the current system is the best. Like many others, Back In The Day I won a few, lost a few, on the current system.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown View Post
                            A single 4th attempt at the last height, then leave them tied.
                            If the tiebreaker is going to be a one-and-done jump, the choose-your-own height method would be more likely to produce an outright winner.

The most likely result of a 4th attempt at the last height would be both missing the height again. But if they can choose their own height down to the 1cm (i.e. disregarding the larger increments that were used when they were progressing through the competition), they're likely to choose different heights, which they can actually clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

Would you do the same if you can't split the first 2 in a track race?
                              Yes. A gold-silver alloy medal, or split down the middle with gold as one half and silver as the other. For a gold medal in an event at the highest level (Olympics/Worlds), there can be only one!

there-can-be-only-one-quote-2.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X