Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by beebee View Post

Please stop comparing this young man to generational athlete Carl Lewis.
    Carl Lewis was not a generational athlete. He was a once-in-a-lifetime athlete!!! ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post
      Carl Lewis was not a generational athlete. He was a once-in-a-lifetime athlete!!! ;-)
      Then WTH was Bolt?
      Although, those 4 Oly LJ Golds look mighty Oerterian and he was 1inaG!

Comment

• Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
        Was wondering how his accomplishments would be downplayed. I got my answer.
        Scott...My sole point is to allow the young man to actually earn accolades...same with SCR and Steiner. There is an indisputable thirst here for a great White sprinter to succeed among so many minorities...and that's cool, we all have our favorites for whatever reason...if Boling becomes great I am good with it(I have a strong American bias lol) he may disappear like so many other promising sprinters(too many to name)...there are no guarantees. SoCal was right...Lewis belongs on Track and Field's Mt. Rushmore.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
          Yea he obviously is showing he is making the progress many hoped and expected, but lets see it put together when it matters as well. [/URL])
          Yes, of course.

And I believe that was the intention of this post - to ask what do you think of Boling's potential and what he could/might accomplish?
          In light of his recent times, I resurrected the question.

Comment

• Originally posted by beebee View Post

Scott...My sole point is to allow the young man to actually earn accolades...same with SCR and Steiner. There is an indisputable thirst here for a great White sprinter to succeed among so many minorities...and that's cool, we all have our favorites for whatever reason...if Boling becomes great I am good with it(I have a strong American bias lol) he may disappear like so many other promising sprinters(too many to name)...there are no guarantees. SoCal was right...Lewis belongs on Track and Field's Mt. Rushmore.
            King Carl is my favorite X a billion but still I think the stat quoted was pretty amazing and indisputably rarified air.

What if he said...a young Carl Lewis?

beer mug smiley

You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• You seem to be forgetting Erriyon Knighton.
              Generational arguments are silly when you already have a younger one out there that is better.
              Boling is great, and is already 21 years old.
              And please not the old horse stuff about multi events.
              Who remembers Larry Myricks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Then WTH was Bolt?
                Although, those 4 Oly LJ Golds look mighty Oerterian and he was 1inaG!
                Referring to the fact that Carl Lewis is the only athlete to win gold medals in a track event and a field event at the same Olympics since Jessie Owens (which was not in my lifetime) and he came very close to doing it twice. This in no way denegrates the accomplishments of all the other great athletes. Of course Bolt is a once in a lifetime athlete...double sprint golds in 3 consecutive OGs will likely never be duplicated.

Comment

Referring to the fact that Carl Lewis is the only athlete to win gold medals in a track event and a field event at the same Olympics since Jessie Owens
                  Tianna Bartoletta in 2016 doesn't count?
                  Last edited by ATK; 04-25-2022, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
                    Tianna Bartoletta in 2016 doesn't count?
                    I think SoCal45 is referring to individual medals, not relay medals.

Comment

Referring to the fact that Carl Lewis is the only athlete to win gold medals in a track event and a field event at the same Olympics since Jessie Owens (which was not in my lifetime) and he came very close to doing it twice.
                      He did do it twice. He won 100 & LJ gold in Seoul.

Comment

• a tweet by Athletics Weekly:

<<Only two athletes in history have gone sub-10 for the 100m, sub-20 for the 200m and cleared 8m in the long jump. One is @matthew_boling1 and the other is @Carl_Lewis>>>

response by Fred Kerley:

<<Let me go 8m now>>

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                          a tweet by Athletics Weekly:

<<Only two athletes in history have gone sub-10 for the 100m, sub-20 for the 200m and cleared 8m in the long jump. One is @matthew_boling1 and the other is @Carl_Lewis>>>

response by Fred Kerley:

<<Let me go 8m now>>
                          Im not sure who or what is stopping Mr.Kerley.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

He did do it twice. He won 100 & LJ gold in Seoul.
                            but not 200, IIRC

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

I think SoCal45 is referring to individual medals, not relay medals.
                              correct

Comment

but not 200, IIRC
                                Joe Deloach won the 200 in 1988 with King Carl second.

Comment

Working...
                                X