Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alcyallen View Post

What did he really do in the 400/long jump? He was never a 400 man, a long jumper. He dabbled in those events.
    I would take a look at Taylor's 2018 season in the 400m and 2014 season in the LJ

Comment

Taylor was 5 times US-ranked in the LJ

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
        We need to add him to our 400/LJ list that makes two,
        Last edited by Alcyallen; 01-20-2022, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
          Think it was 6 times. Yep, we now have two 400/long jumper.

What would be his biggest win in those events?
          Last edited by Alcyallen; 01-20-2022, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksf View Post
            Post college, I think his best chances for success are in the 400m and the Long Jump.
            The 200m may be his best event, but it's a really crowded field.
            I think, potentially, Boling could be top 10 in the world in any of his 4 events - 100m, 200m, 400m, LJ.
            But as I said before, I think his potential for success is greater in the 400m and LJ, because those events (at the moment) are less competitive than the 100m and 200m.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksf View Post

I think, potentially, Boling could be top 10 in the world in any of his 4 events - 100m, 200m, 400m, LJ.
              But as I said before, I think his potential for success is greater in the 400m and LJ, because those events (at the moment) are less competitive than the 100m and 200m.
              Could be right last season there were 10 who ran sub 44,5 and 10 who jumped over 27-3, you would think by the time he leaves Georgia he should be close to that. While he is a long way away from running 9.7 and 19.6 stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                I have reported this before but it is worth repeating. I was working LJ at 92 NO OTs. Maybank running the 400, heard his name called to LJ as he passed the LJ flight coordinator on the opposite side of the track, 100 meters into the race. He finished the 400 and without pausing ran across the track onto the runway and popped a 26- foot jump. I don't remember the time and distance but I'm sure someone knows. It impressed me.
                Mere mortals don't jump 26 feet after a 1500 foot run-up.
                Still a great story—and athletic feat—but as noted previously:

Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
                It was the 1993 NCAA Championships, also held in Tad Gormley Stadium. The long jump was held on June 3. Maybank finished sixth, with a wind-aided jump of 7.93 m (26-¼). The 400 heats were also held on June 3. Maybank ran 45.10 to win the second heat.

Source: Track Newsletter, Volume 39, Number 15 (June 17, 1993)
                Again, as reported by David Woods in Track & Field News, Volume 46, Number 8 (August 1993):

400: Photo Says Davis

It took 10 minutes longer to declare a winner than it took to run the race. The photo showed that Calvin Davis's late charge had indeed taken him past Anthuan Maybank, both clocking 45.04.

It was a major upset, considering that Davis (45.63) entered with the No. 10 time and Maybank (44.99) was No. 1.

"At the end I pulled even with him, and he was wobbling," said the 6-0/175 Davis, whose unlooked-for points gave Arkansas a big lift in the team race. "I just lunged at the end to win. It means a helluva lot."

Maybank, who had led the qualifying at 45.10 the same night as he took 6th in the long jump, became the first ever to score in both events.

Comment

I need to clarify something,,,,,

If all Matthew Boling does in his post NCAA's career is match Antuane Maybank and Christian Taylor in the 400/long jump he is going to be very disappointed. I am talking about winning medals in Worlds/Olympic competition we have never seen a guy who made the 400 and long jump finals in any majors I know of and being a medal threat. That is my definition of world class. Maybe I need to back off that definition.

Hell, every time we saw RGIII play football it was....he has world class speed.....no he didn't, he was a good NCAA 400 hurdler only. Now Tyreek Hill,,,,can see that.

Has anyone ever made the finals in the 400 and long jump in a majors?

Comment

Some guy named Eaton ran 45. and jumped 27 feet... he might have been a lot better at both if he'd specialized in 2 events instead of 10.

Comment

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
                      Some guy named Eaton ran 45. and jumped 27 feet... he might have been a lot better at both if he'd specialized in 2 events instead of 10.
                      What a great athlete that guy was, a one man track team. To have the PR's he had knowing he couldn't give any one event all that much attention, amazing!

Comment

My bad. I worked both the 92 OTS and 93 NCAA at Gormley, have forgotten some of the details.
                        I remember it was at night and I assure you he would not have been time fouled. That would have been the most thoroughly raked and screeded pit in the history of pitdom before it was declared ready for his jump.
                        Last edited by lonewolf; 01-21-2022, 04:28 AM.

Comment

In 1987 at the European Cup, Heike Drechsler LJed 7.26m and ran in the 4x100m on Day 1, then on Day 2 ran a 49.98 split in the 4x400m. At that time, she was toying with the idea of entering the LJ and 400m (and both relays) at the Worlds in Rome, as the timetable didn't allow her to enter the 200m. (source: her autobiography)

For me, Boling's running style can be so scrappy, he often loses form, so the 100m would be a bad idea. Even at 200m his form can let him down when under pressure. I feel the 400m is more unforgiving in that respect. The good thing about the LJ is you get a few goes! :-) So I can see him in either of these events. But not both. An athlete that can be truly competitive at both the LJ & 400m in a Championships is a rare find. I also believe that athlete will never get the best out of themselves in both events if they enter them at a Championships.

Comment

Where is Mr. Boling competing this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                              Where is Mr. Boling competing this weekend?
                              Georgia is competing at the Samford Invite in Birmingham. Live Results here: https://live.xpresstiming.com/meets/12512/events

I only see Boling is entered in the 60m

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post

Georgia is competing at the Samford Invite in Birmingham. Live Results here: https://live.xpresstiming.com/meets/12512/events

I only see Boling is entered in the 60m
                                I wonder why that is?

Comment

Working...
                                X