Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
    Klaver won the NED 200m title as expected with 22.74 (-0.9) ahead of Bol 23.05.
    After her 22.71 into the wind and slightly easing down in the SF, she's in 22.6 form, which is sea level PB form. Bol also in PB form. Interestingly, all the women in the Meuwly group, both Dutch and Polish, have all set PBs this year. But the men in the group are in worse form than last year.
    Klaver was really excited after her semifinal. Bol rushed over to congratulate her, before running her own heat. I believe the excitement was due to meeting the world standard. I'm not sure where that race fits with the 400 or relay schedule but I know Klaver has been campaigning to run the 200.

Bol was probably slightly disappointed she didn't go under 23 for the first time, during the semifinal, instead of running 23.00. The finals always seem to be slightly slower in that race. Sure enough, virtually the entire field was slower, including Bol 23.05 from lane 3.

Both 400 finals were somewhat lackluster, as expected. Bonevacia did the same thing as the indoor national final, seizing control and winning easily, then playing to the crowd well away from Isayah Boers and his second place. The rest of last year's names were 3-5 but Dobber fell all the way to 7th. I assume he is out. That's a huge drop in depth because Dobber's lifetime best of 45.05 is replaced by a 6th place guy with a best of 46.7.

Even though Boers finished second I think it would be extremely unwise to use him in a relay final and especially the mixed final, where there is some chance at a medal. Boers tightens up badly down the stretch with his head back and chest becoming very stiff. During an interview for a Daily Trojan article I remember the USC assistant track coach telling me decades ago that a tendency like that is disaster in a relay because you come to a flat stall and there is no way to make it up. That comment has always stuck with me. He said it was preferable to use more relaxed fluid runners, that they can exceed expectation in a relay even if they don't look as good on paper. Meuwly apparently shares the philosophy because I noticed he didn't use Dobber in the finals last year and he didn't use Boers during the indoor final this year. Dobber at his best is superior to Boers but he does have that tight chest upright tendency. It is really evident this year.

Ramsey Angela and Tony van Diepen can keep going. I suspect they'll be the top tier relay choices along with Bonevacia.

Comment

• The Netherlands women's 400 final was even more of a mess. Not a great sign when a heptathlete (Anne van de Wiel) runs on a lark and finishes a comfortable third from lane one.

Hanneke Oosterwegel rallied late to steal the victory from favorite Andrea Bouma at the wire. I think I mentioned here that Oosterwegel was a sleeper. But it really wasn't much of a stretch because she was on the Olympic team last year, although she didn't compete.

The ironic aspect was that Oosterwegel was a full tenth faster than Bouma in reaction time and won the race by .09. The Meuwly camp probably wasn't thrilled with this outcome. They were likely hoping that the full time Papendal trainee Bouma would assert as the final member of the relay. Now I suspect both will be on the team and somewhat interchangeable, although logically Oosterwegel gets first call. The times were 53.52 and 53.61.

Unfortunately Lisanne de Witte had to scratch the final at the last minute during warmups. She posted during an Instagram story that she had a recurrence of dizziness, blurred vision and headaches during warmups. Lisanne suffered a concussion several months ago during training camp in South Africa. She seemed very confident earlier in the day, showing off her New Balance purple kit. But in that Instagram story she wrote that she knew it was a questionable decision to return for nationals.

I thought an interesting aspect of Netherlands nationals was the emergence of another young heptathlete. The 19 year old Sofie Dokter jumped all the way up to 6144. Her strengths right now indeed appear to be the jumps.

Last edited by Awsi Dooger; 06-27-2022, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
        Klaver was really excited after her semifinal. Bol rushed over to congratulate her, before running her own heat. I believe the excitement was due to meeting the world standard. I'm not sure where that race fits with the 400 or relay schedule but I know Klaver has been campaigning to run the 200.

Bol was probably slightly disappointed she didn't go under 23 for the first time, during the semifinal, instead of running 23.00. The finals always seem to be slightly slower in that race. Sure enough, virtually the entire field was slower, including Bol 23.05 from lane 3.
        Klaver said in an interview after she just wanted to remind people & coaches "she can run fast" but that her focus this season is definitely the 400m & relay. But she left it open for the 200m another year...

Klaver's run in the final was better than her SF when you consider the wind. It works out as 22.66 basic, which is much better than her 22.66 official PB from 2020 which had a 1.3 wind and near altitude. So with that and her 50.80 PB over 400m, she is clearly in PB form this season.

Bol's 23.00 in the SF was with -1.7 wind, so she is in sub 23 form over 200m. That race works out at around 22.84 corrected, which is a big improvement on her speed compared to 2021, where she ran 23.16 (0.5) which equates to 23.20 basic. So she is in theory 0.36 faster over 200m this season. She hasn't run any outdoor 400s, but ran indoors 400m PBs. So, we should expect her to be in 400mh PB form come Eugene.

Comment

• Originally posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
          The Netherlands women's 400 final was even more of a mess. Not a great sign when a heptathlete (Anne van de Wiel) runs on a lark and finishes a comfortable third from lane one.

Hanneke Oosterwegel rallied late to steal the victory from favorite Andrea Bouma at the wire. I think I mentioned here that Oosterwegel was a sleeper. But it really wasn't much of a stretch because she was on the Olympic team last year, although she didn't compete.
          I still think Meuwly will select Bouma over Oosterwegel if it came to running one of them. Peeters has also run two 400m races this year, both faster than the winning time here. In theory she could be in the relay pool...but it remains to be seen whether she will be selected and travel to Eugene. I think Bouma will be, based off her 52.73 and general performance level being better than Oosterwegel's, but they have to send Oosterwegel out of principle, because she won.

I really hope Lisanne can get better. Concussion usually lasts 10 days max, so it sounds like she has 'persistent post-concussive symptoms' which can last months. I am assuming she has had the best medical care and there is no long-term structural damage causing it, so it may be the psychological affects, which can happen. Knowing how Lisanne lifts her game, I imagine if she had run the final she would have won.

Comment

• Dutch w200m final
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BY8mzQi5qc

Comment

• Jareem Richards ran 19.82 at the Trinidad trials in blinding rain. No doubt he can potentially go faster.
              Apparently Ignorance is bliss

Comment

• I see Alekna Jr. hit 69m in the mDT! Yoicks.

Comment

• I see that Krystsina Tsimanouskaya of Belarus won the 100 and 200 in Warszawa, POL June 26, in the Warszawa Liga Lekkoatletyczna.
                  Cheers,
                  Alan Shank

Comment

• @Awis Dooger

The Dutch relay teams have been announced. The top stories are: no Dafne Schippers in the 4x100m (expected though as she hadn't trained with them); no Lisanne de Witte in the 4x400m (only one race all season and still suffering with concussion symptoms); no Jochem Dobber in the 4x400m (poor form all season) & Lieke Klaver in the 4x1 and 4x4 (but as a last reserve in the 4x1)

w4x100m
                    Marije van Hunenstijn
                    Zoe Sedney
                    Jamile Samuel
                    Naomi Sedney
                    Minke Bisschops
                    Lieke Klaver

m4x100m
                    Joris van Gool
                    Xavi Mo Ajok
                    Raphael Bouju
                    Hensley Paulina
                    Elvis Afrifa
                    Taymir Burnet

w4x400m
                    Hanneke Oosterwegel
                    Andrea Bouma
                    Cathlijin Peeters
                    Laura de Witte
                    Eveline Saalberg
                    Lieke Klaver
                    Femke Bol

m4x400m
                    Terrane Agard
                    Nick Schmidt
                    Maarten Emmaneel
                    Isayah Boers
                    Ramsey Angela
                    Liemarvin Bonevacia
                    Tony van Diepen

mixed 4x400m
                    from the 4x4 men & women selection

Comment

• Originally posted by Zelex View Post
                      Favour Ashe wins the 100m national title at the Nigeria Championships in 9.99.
                      Now I have some time, thought I would expand more on the results.

So as noted Favour Ashe won the 100m in 9.99 (0.1). He looked impressive in the semis with a 10.07 (-1.2) - celebrating before crossing the line. Alaba Akintola finish 2nd in 10.06.

Grace Nwokocha won the female event in 11.03 (-0.4), Rosemary Chukwuma 2nd in 11.07

Ese Brume won the long jump in 6.89.

The 4x100 mens team ran 38.35 which puts them number 4 in the world this year.
                      Last edited by Zelex; 06-28-2022, 10:33 AM.

Comment

@Awis Dooger

The Dutch relay teams have been announced. The top stories are: no Dafne Schippers in the 4x100m (expected though as she hadn't trained with them); no Lisanne de Witte in the 4x400m (only one race all season and still suffering with concussion symptoms); no Jochem Dobber in the 4x400m (poor form all season) & Lieke Klaver in the 4x1 and 4x4 (but as a last reserve in the 4x1)

w4x100m
                        Marije van Hunenstijn
                        Zoe Sedney
                        Jamile Samuel
                        Naomi Sedney
                        Minke Bisschops
                        Lieke Klaver

m4x100m
                        Joris van Gool
                        Xavi Mo Ajok
                        Raphael Bouju
                        Hensley Paulina
                        Elvis Afrifa
                        Taymir Burnet

w4x400m
                        Hanneke Oosterwegel
                        Andrea Bouma
                        Cathlijin Peeters
                        Laura de Witte
                        Eveline Saalberg
                        Lieke Klaver
                        Femke Bol

m4x400m
                        Terrane Agard
                        Nick Schmidt
                        Maarten Emmaneel
                        Isayah Boers
                        Ramsey Angela
                        Liemarvin Bonevacia
                        Tony van Diepen

mixed 4x400m
                        from the 4x4 men & women selection
                        Thank you. I just saw this on Instagram and was going to post it here.

Klaver ran a 4 x 1 leg a few weeks ago. I guess they tipped her on this possibility and prepared her a little bit in that race.

During my summaries I forgot about Smidt on the men's side. Another hurdler along with Ramsey Angela. He didn't run the relays last year. But I think Angela's success in Tokyo last year may have prompted Meuwly to think Smidt was capable also. They are very similar in ability. It's obvious Meuwly trusts Smidt. He ran the second leg in the worlds final in Belgrade, after Bonevacia was injured and Boers underperformed in the heats. Big guy. He ran kind of a bulldog style but was effective and made up ground at the end.

If they make the final I think it will be 4 among Agard, Smidt, Angela, Bonevacia and van Diepen.

I was happy that Cathelijn Peeters made it on the women's side. She seems very nice and always gives maximum effort, whether at 400 or 400 hurdles. Late bloomer in her mid 20s who sometimes flails her arms like Saalberg late in a race, although she's more prone to do that during hurdles. Peeters is actually the 3 time reigning national champion at 400 hurdles because Bol never runs it. This year Peeters has made huge strides from the beginning of indoor season, where she made the 400 national final ahead of Laura de Witte and seemed almost embarrassed when she was introduced during the final. The advancement continued outdoors where she has dropped her personal best by more than 3 seconds. In fact, I believe she is the 4th fastest on the team this year behind Klaver, Saalberg and Bouma. Bol has not run a flat 400 this year. I didn't mention her last week because I knew she was concentrating on hurdles. I thought she could dip under 56 seconds. Not quite, although she ran a good race.

There is a YouTuber named TartanCoach who must be from Peeters' club because he films all of her races and uploads them, along with races from other members of the camp. Here is her personal best from a few weeks ago. She timed it well and ran right past Hanneke Oosterwegel down the stretch, finishing in 53.34:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpLLZD7N8qo

Otherwise I guess it's ironic that Lisanne de Witte's concussion allowed her sister to make the team. Laura is not going to run but she's immensely popular on the team so it's an excellent influence to bring her along. In particular, Laura is close to Bol. They talk all the time. Laura has joked that Femke is always the first to comment on her Instagram posts. I saw an article earlier this year on a Dutch site in which the reporter saw the two talking after practice. Laura asked Bol how she manages to run one fast race after another, without ever having a letdown or an off day. But Bol apparently thought she had a bad practice. This was during preparation for world indoors. Bol got emotional and cursed a little bit. The reporter mentioned how unusual that was, that it demonstrated the internal pressures of the sport, even among those who can seem immune.

Last edited by Awsi Dooger; 06-28-2022, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• At the Serbian Championships Angelina Topic jumped 1.96 on her third attempt to equal the World U18 Best - https://www.european-athletics.com/n...-championships

Comment

• Guess Mboma won't be in Eugene!

Comment

Klaver said in an interview after she just wanted to remind people & coaches "she can run fast" but that her focus this season is definitely the 400m & relay. But she left it open for the 200m another year...

Klaver's run in the final was better than her SF when you consider the wind. It works out as 22.66 basic, which is much better than her 22.66 official PB from 2020 which had a 1.3 wind and near altitude. So with that and her 50.80 PB over 400m, she is clearly in PB form this season.

Bol's 23.00 in the SF was with -1.7 wind, so she is in sub 23 form over 200m. That race works out at around 22.84 corrected, which is a big improvement on her speed compared to 2021, where she ran 23.16 (0.5) which equates to 23.20 basic. So she is in theory 0.36 faster over 200m this season. She hasn't run any outdoor 400s, but ran indoors 400m PBs. So, we should expect her to be in 400mh PB form come Eugene.
                              Klaver perplexes me. She's a good 200 runner and is physically strong but she finishes a 400 badly. I wonder if they work on that and what they do to correct it. I'd expect her to be at least 50.5 with those talents.

Yes, I am perplexed.
                              I'm the best poster. Just ask me.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post
                                Guess Mboma won't be in Eugene!
                                Yup, unfortunately: https://neweralive.na/posts/mboma-resumes-training

"For now, it seems like the possibility of Commonwealth is there, but a no for World Champs,"

Comment

Working...
                                X