Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 World Outdoor Results

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post

    If you look at her splits, it looks like she was running a 10,000 pace -- kilos a bit over 3:00, laps between 72.5 and 74.9, until a 67.4 last lap. I'm guessing this was not a full effort, but getting the feeling for running at 10,000 pace. But who knows? I will be very surprised if she turns in a performance anything close to Doha (gold 1500 and 10,000) and Tokyo.(gold 5 and 10, silver 1500).

    It seems likely that Niyonsaba will win the 5, and her threat in the 10,000 may cause Gidey, Taye, Obiri, Kipkemboi, et al to force the pace in the 10. Too bad the 10k finals are both scheduled between noon and 1 PM.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Well, so much for that idea! Maybe McColgan will set a 30-minute pace.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

    Comment


    • Good 10,000m running earlier today in Abashiri (JPN) at Round 4 of the super Hokuren Distance Challenge series.

      Women's
      1 Pauline Kamulu (KEN) 30:20.97 (a 21s PB)
      2 Ai Hosoda 31:35.44 (a 4s PB)
      3 Rika Kaseda 31:41.29 (this 23yo was just 1.4s outside her PB)
      Other notable athletes ...
      5 Sayaka Sato 32:15.82
      9 Honami Maeda 32:35.84

      Men's
      1 Gideon Ronoh 27:11.03 PB (debut at 10,000 for this 19yo; has a 13:16 PB at 5000)
      2 James Muoki 27:29.74 (just 1.2s outside his PB)
      3 Charles Karanja Kamau 27:30.44 (a 15s PB)
      ...
      The fastest Japanese man on the night was Shunya Kikuchi, 27:57.95 (a 4s PB)

      Comment


      • I see that Hassan has announced she will race the 5000 and 10,000 while skipping the 1500. Her Eugene world changed dramatically when Niyonsaba withdrew. It would have been interesting if she had chosen the same two events with Niyonsaba present.

        IMO, it would be wise for Niyonsaba to find a late injury prior to next year's world championships also. Likewise Mboma. They may not be earning global medals this year but it gets them one year closer to Paris minus backlash and scrutiny.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
          IMO, it would be wise for Niyonsaba to find a late injury prior to next year's world championships also. Likewise Mboma. They may not be earning global medals this year but it gets them one year closer to Paris minus backlash and scrutiny.
          Exceedingly cynical, yet I fully agree that this could be a wise approach for Niyonsaba and Mboma....

          Even so, I hope they do not take that path.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
            I see that Hassan has announced she will race the 5000 and 10,000 while skipping the 1500. Her Eugene world changed dramatically when Niyonsaba withdrew. It would have been interesting if she had chosen the same two events with Niyonsaba present.
            Would presume so. Niyonsaba's main strength is at shorter distances (3K/5K now that she's not allowed in 800/1500); she had her go at the 10K in Tokyo and was only 5th. She might very well have done better this time, but she's not so strong in the 10 that Hassan, the reigning world and Olympic champion, would need to avoid her specifically.

            The 5K, where Niyonsaba has been great on the circuit, was always an obvious pick for Hassan's two-event list since the schedules for the other two overlap; and it's also the one where she still lacks a WC title.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
              IMO, it would be wise for Niyonsaba to find a late injury prior to next year's world championships also. Likewise Mboma. They may not be earning global medals this year but it gets them one year closer to Paris minus backlash and scrutiny.
              On the other hand, it does still cost them a world championship meet. Seven of one, or (maybe) a half dozen of the other.

              Comment


              • Moscow championships, July 19
                W PV Anzhelika Sidorova 4.86, Polina Knoroz 4.70.

                I imagine her choice of height after 4.80 was based on the 4.85 winning height here. She cleared 4.50 and 4.70 first time, 4.80 and 4.86 2nd time, and didn't attempt higher.
                The W PV was the only event with world class athletes.
                Can you imagine how great W HJ would have been with an in-form Lasitskene?
                Cheers,
                Alan Shank

                Comment


                • Anticipating suffering withdrawal symptoms after tonight?

                  Fear not, there's another championships live streaming all week as well as, on Tuesday, 2 European meetings and a famous old road race.

                  All the details, links and teaser notes via https://forum.athleticsweekly.com/fo...7677#post47677

                  Comment


                  • Anzhelika Sidorova has just jumped 4.91m to improve her own WL by 5cm in winning the Russian title.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by gmak View Post
                      Anzhelika Sidorova has just jumped 4.91m to improve her own WL by 5cm in winning the Russian title.
                      While I agree with the sanction on the Russian Fed, I am very sad that she was not able to compete at the WC, not for our loss as fans, but for hers, as a dedicated athlete.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        While I agree with the sanction on the Russian Fed, I am very sad that she was not able to compete at the WC, not for our loss as fans, but for hers, as a dedicated athlete.
                        I agree 100%. Sidorova and Lasitskene were both definitely missed.

                        Comment


                        • And Lasitskene clears a big SB of 2.00m to win the High Jump title.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by gmak View Post

                            I agree 100%. Sidorova and Lasitskene were both definitely missed.
                            Not by everyone.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post

                              Not by everyone.
                              Obviously not by those who ended up on the podium.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post
                                Not by everyone.
                                I can't believe any real fan of T&F didn't miss them.
                                What Putin did had nothing to do with them (tho I stress that I agree with the sanction).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X