Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    I can't believe any real fan of T&F didn't miss them.
    What Putin did had nothing to do with them (tho I stress that I agree with the sanction).
    Sports boycotts always have a degree of hypocrisy.... it didn't help when the Russian swimmer wore "the Z" on the podium early in the invasion. Add in the drug issues with Russia in the last decade(s) and well.....

Comment

• Cynthia Bolingo, who didn't race in Eugene due to injury, has had a couple of promising outdoor races: she ran 52.08 while the Champs were on, then improved to 51.19 on July 23rd, which takes her up to 13th on the European lists this season.

Comment

• you can't believe it...better start believing because I know a lot of fans who did not miss them at all

Comment

I can't believe any real fan of T&F didn't miss them.
          What Putin did had nothing to do with them (tho I stress that I agree with the sanction).
          I don't know what you mean by "true T&F fans" but most people are primarily interested in rooting for their favorite athletes.

If there is less competition for them, that makes them happy. Just look at the LA Olympics.

Comment

• I'm sure the likes of Mahuchikh, Patterson and (especially) Nageotte didn't miss them.

Comment

• Karch Kiraly missed the USSR in the LA Olympics. He felt his career was not complete until he won the gold in Seoul.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post

I don't know what you mean by "true T&F fans" but most people are primarily interested in rooting for their favorite athletes.

If there is less competition for them, that makes them happy. Just look at the LA Olympics.
                That is frigid as hell and probably not that much accurate, there is no antecipation when there is "no-one" to beat, even casuals want athlete A to beat athlete B (or country A beating country B), that is one of the most exciting parts of cheering.

Comment

• Originally posted by DET59 View Post

Sports boycotts always have a degree of hypocrisy.... it didn't help when the Russian swimmer wore "the Z" on the podium early in the invasion. Add in the drug issues with Russia in the last decade(s) and well.....
                  A Nation whose sports mission statement since the 1950's is to cheat? Don't miss them at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post

Yeah looked at from a naive, childish viewpoint I just about understand your rooting for your particular little fave.
                    By no stretch of the imagination are you a track and field fan, sort of Letsrun apology of a fan. A real fan supports, encourages and appreciates athletes of every event from wherever they come.
                    That's what Atticus meant.

Comment

• A great athlete wants to prove him or her self the of the best, not win against others in a race or jump or throw when the best are not there.
                      That's why an athlete wants above all to win a global title or OG competition. Mere flag wavers do not understand our sport or other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                        Originally posted by gmak View Post
                        I'm sure the likes of Mahuchikh, Patterson and (especially) Nageotte didn't miss them.
                        Originally posted by beebee View Post
                        A Nation whose sports mission statement since the 1950's is to cheat? Don't miss them at all.
                        1. At both the LA and Moscow OG, the gold medalists were celebrated . . . but the true fans knew they were - incomplete.
                        2. Facts not in evidence.
                        3. It was not the 'Nation' or the athletes who instituted the protocols, it was corrupt individuals in the govt apparatus, and we have no evidence that Lasitskene or Sidorova were dirtier than other athletes.

Comment

• Originally posted by clementina View Post

Yeah looked at from a naive, childish viewpoint I just about understand your rooting for your particular little fave.
                          By no stretch of the imagination are you a track and field fan, sort of Letsrun apology of a fan. A real fan supports, encourages and appreciates athletes of every event from wherever they come.
                          That's what Atticus meant.
                          please do not pretend that you know if others are fans. I have a hunch I have been a fan since before you were born...maybe not..Athletes are held responsible for the acts of their nations...if you don't want it that way have the OGs and WCs sans flags and just have individuals compete.

Comment

2. Facts not in evidence.
                            In one case, the facts are in evidence:

No place for Russian 'killers' in athletics, says Ukraine's Mahuchikh
                            https://www.france24.com/en/live-new...ne-s-mahuchikh

Comment

1. At both the LA and Moscow OG, the gold medalists were celebrated . . . but the true fans knew they were - incomplete.
                              No athlete from the Eastern Bloc was going to beat top stars Lewis, Ashford, Moses, Babers, Kingdom...

Comment

• Originally posted by beebee View Post

No athlete from the Eastern Bloc was going to beat top stars Lewis, Ashford, Moses, Babers, Kingdom...
                                You know the OG are not only United States citizens competing ? You have the Trials for that.
                                Actually Göhr's winning time at the Friendship Games 84' (10.95) was faster than Ashford's at the OG (10.97). And there are more than a couple of events in which the Eastern Bloc would have prevailed.

Comment

Working...
                                X