Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 World Outdoor Results

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post

    You know the OG are not only United States citizens competing ? You have the Trials for that.
    Actually Göhr's winning time at the Friendship Games 84' (10.95) was faster than Ashford's at the OG (10.97). And there are more than a couple of events in which the Eastern Bloc would have prevailed.
    Ashford spanked Gohr in Zurich after the Olympics...breaking the WR.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
      In one case, the facts are in evidence: No place for Russian 'killers' in athletics, says Ukraine's Mahuchikh
      She is young and this is personal to her. She is forgiven. The athletes are not 'killers'

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        She is young and this is personal to her. She is forgiven. The athletes are not 'killers'
        I doubt she has any interest in forgiveness from you.

        Whether or not the Russian athletes are killers is a subject for political debate, which is not appropriate for this forum.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post

          have the OGs and WCs sans flags and just have individuals compete.
          Not such a bad idea, if the identification with national flags is going to result in the exclusion of some of the best athletes. I can't believe that victory in such a competition is as sweet for the winner as it would be if all the major players were present. For the fans it certainly isn't as interesting. I'm fine with national teams and colors, and I do generally support athletes from my home nation more than others, as long as it doesn't become more important than the competition between individuals.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
            I doubt she has any interest in forgiveness from you.
            Irrelevant to the forgiver, but you're right, this is not the place for that discussion, so forgive me . . .

            Comment


            • We can appreciate athleticism by an athlete of any nationality but I think a degree of jingoism is integral in creating and maintaining interest in national, regional, or local athletes and teams.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                She is young and this is personal to her. She is forgiven. The athletes are not 'killers'
                In this case Lasitskene is from the CSKA club and though her commitment to the army is probably just titular, I find Mahuchikh's reaction human and easy to understand.

                Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                We can appreciate athleticism by an athlete of any nationality but I think a degree of jingoism is integral in creating and maintaining interest in national, regional, or local athletes and teams.
                Totally agree. I don't agree with everybody on the ban but I also consider "a degree of jingoism" natural and OK and not something we should expect others to drop all together...

                Comment


                • Originally posted by xw View Post
                  Totally agree. I don't agree with everybody on the ban but I also consider "a degree of jingoism" natural and OK and not something we should expect others to drop all together...
                  Rivalries are paramount in sport, and national rivalries in any sport merely up the intensity of the competition.

                  Comment


                  • A tasty duel at the Swedish Championships: https://webathletics.se/live/12036
                    1 Simon Pettersson -94 81 Hässelby SK 70.42 CR
                    2 Daniel Ståhl -92 321 Spårvägens FK 70.29

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      Irrelevant to the forgiver...
                      Forgiveness from Lasitskene? May—or may not—be interested.

                      Forgiveness from some random dude who needs to get over himself? Not at all interested.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Davidokun View Post

                        Forgiveness from some random dude who needs to get over himself? Not at all interested.
                        C'mon David, it's just a figure of speech.

                        (But if it's touching a hot spot that I'm not aware of, then *I'm* apologizing.)

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
                          C'mon David, it's just a figure of speech.

                          (But if it's touching a hot spot that I'm not aware of, then *I'm* apologizing.)
                          Indeed, it's one of those things that rubs me the wrong way. Nevertheless, you're right, I have been excessively cranky lately.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Davidokun View Post

                            Indeed, it's one of those things that rubs me the wrong way. Nevertheless, you're right, I have been excessively cranky lately.
                            You're forgiven. ;-)

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post

                              please do not pretend that you know if others are fans. I have a hunch I have been a fan since before you were born...maybe not..Athletes are held responsible for the acts of their nations...if you don't want it that way have the OGs and WCs sans flags and just have individuals compete.
                              I have been a fan since 1951. Been a well travelled fan since 1968, so pls do not talk shite.
                              Secondly, no athlete can possibly be responsible for policies for his or her government, whether or not he supports his country. Think 1936 and the Nazis.Your post is quite crazy., in my view.
                              Are you responsible for the USA policies , and your governments policies for a 100 years if not longer do not bare to be discussed here.Neither my own country.UK that is.
                              In addition ,the decision of all international sports competitions and federations being defined by where they are from is normal and will continue long after we are gone.
                              Every single country has flags so I really dont know what the hell you are on about.
                              Banning Russia which is a brutal dictatorship , is of course , hypocritical ,when you look at the countries who have invaded other sovereign countries. Would you like to discuss the Middle East, Asia and even parts of South America and what those places have got up to and still doing, but they are still invited to the OG.etc.
                              Personally my main reason for not caring about Russia being banned in every single sport that exists is primarily based on their appalling state sponsored and designed doping regime.Their need to cheat is beyond belief.
                              My definition of a track and field fan is clearly fundamentally different from yours, so suck it up to use a ghostly saying.
                              Last edited by clementina; 08-08-2022, 11:57 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by clementina View Post
                                I have been a fan since 1951. Been a well travelled fan since 1968, so pls do not talk shite.
                                Cranky old person alert (get offa my lawn!). As am I sometimes. I love the inherent contradiction in the bolded!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X