Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General ? about female jumpers

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • General ? about female jumpers

    Hi, I've heard there's an expected 10-12% performance difference between genders, and it doesn't go outside that from 200m through marathon, even 11% afaik only happens in 200. Only in the 60 and 100m is it under 10%. Does anyone know why all female jumps are significantly worse than the regular difference? They're over 14% weaker.

  • #2
    I'll guess it's because of even weaker upper body strength, which is more of a factor in the jumps than running.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      I'll guess it's because of even weaker upper body strength, which is more of a factor in the jumps than running.
      That sounds reasonable. Of course, if women had to use the same weights as men in the throws the differences would be even greater there.

      Comment


      • #4
        The difference in distribution of muscle fiber types may have something to do with it.

        There are four main MyHC isoforms present in adult mammalian muscle (MyHC-I, -IIa, -IIx, and -IIb), which increase in contractile speed in the presented order. There is a prevalence of slower type-I and -IIA fibers in females compared with males that parallels the lower contractile velocity in females compared with males.
        Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4285578/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
          There are four main MyHC isoforms present in adult mammalian muscle (MyHC-I, -IIa, -IIx, and -IIb), which increase in contractile speed in the presented order. There is a prevalence of slower type-I and -IIA fibers in females compared with males that parallels the lower contractile velocity in females compared with males.
          Yeah, that woulda been my second guess . . . 😏

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
            The difference in distribution of muscle fiber types may have something to do with it.



            Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4285578/
            Performance is all about power to weight ratio and while we know women generate less power, they also have more dead weight in the form of fat, making both sides of the calculation worse. In fact, elite female athletes carry relatively more bodyfat compared to elite males than do average college-aged humans (USA).

            Body composition of elite American athletes

            100, 200, and 400 meters in athletes (male 100 and 200 meters, 6.5 +/- 1.2%; female 100, 200 and 400 meters, 13.7 +/- 3.6%)





            Comment

            Working...
            X