• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NZ results/news 2022

Cooks Classic in Wanganui 30/1 highlights:
    Men
    800m Preston 1:48.26
    U20 3000 NZ champs Will Anthony 8:04.25 (NZ U19 record)
    NZ Mile champs Oakley 3:58.88 (defends his title) Matt Taylor 3:59.80 (8 sec pb to break 4) Green 4:01.24 (Eric Speakman fell with 400 to go)
    HJ Kerr 2.28 (meet record, xx at 2.32)
    SP Walsh 20.76 (1st meet of the year) Palmer 18.97pb

Women
    200m (-3.4) Hulls 23.51 (should challenge NZ record 22.91 with favourable wind) Elliot 23.96
    400m Neal 53.75 Smart 54.14 (reversed placings from NZ champs 2021, Camryn Smart is Toni Hodgkinsons daughter, looks and runs just like her, maybe a move upto 800 needed!)
    NZ Mile champs Nagel 4:35.23 Grogan 4:37.48 Macdermid 4:38.35 Manning 4:38.87 (Lauran Nagel like Julian Oakley backing up her NZ 3k title from last weekend at the Potts Classic)
    400H Bing 55.99
    JT Peters 58.95
    HT Bruce 72.05

Highlights from Potts Classic on 22/1 some commented on elsewhere:
    100 Hobbs 11.21 NZ resident record 11.14 (2.2) in the final
    100 Whelpton 10.18 = Joe Millers NZ resident record and 4th= NZer all time 10.09 (3.8) in heat
    PV McTaggart 4.60pb and 2nd CG A qualifier
    HT Bruce 71.38 Bradley 69.92
    LJ Veitch 7.67 (2.4)

George Beamish, who I failed to realise was NZL, set an indoors NR in the 3000 with his winning 7:39.50 at the Millrose Games. This makes him the first Kiwi under 7:40 indoors and takes the record off Zane Robertson (7:44.16) and also places him ahead of the likes of Julian Oakley and Nick Willis.

In fact, that time is also makes him only the third Kiwi under 7:40 indoors or out with only Nick Willis (7:36.91 NR) and John Walker (7:37.49) running faster outdoors. Being faster than Dixon and Quax is pretty impressive, even allowing for the passage of time.

Comment

That's fantastic news about George Beamish. I haven't realized the records he's set. I'm happy about his progress! I'm his big fan
      https://www.klimax-sc.pl/

Comment

Geordie Beamish is a training mate of Aussie Ollie Hoare and they're both in fine early season form.

Comment

rumor mill says Tanner about to go pro

Comment

Capital Classic, Wellington, last night
            mShot - Walsh 21.01
            wJav - Peters 60. 51

Comment

In Hastings today:

Zoe Hobbs 11.15 (1.4) NR WC CG qualifier

Comment

Hope to see her across the Tasman soon taking on Basic etc. Should see that record cut further...

Comment

Originally posted by AS View Post
                  Hope to see her across the Tasman soon taking on Basic etc. Should see that record cut further...
                  It might be good for her to beat all the AUS runners to prevent any complacency. When was the last time NZL had better W100 sprinter than AUS?

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post

When was the last time NZL had better W100 sprinter than AUS?
                    Well, Hobbs was nearly there in 2019 when she won the AUS National 200m title and was second in the 100m to Naa Anang.

Other than that, probably back to 11 March 1939 when Doreen Lumley beat Decima Norman over 100y and equalled the world record. She wasn't actually better than the Aussies as a number of our sprinters co-held the record of 11.0. A week later Decima joined them as co-holders of the record when she reversed the verdict over Lumley.

Sadly, just over six months later Lumley, who was only 18 years old, was killed, along with her identical twin sister, in a car crash.

It seems to help though if you are a Kiwi sprinter named Doreen.

Though she wasn't actually faster than her Australian rivals on the ranking lists, in 1962 Doreen Porter became the first NZ woman sprinter to finish in a higher place than an Australian at the Commonwealth Games. She won silver in the 100y ahead of Australia's Brenda Cox who took the bronze.
                    Last edited by Vault-emort; 02-12-2022, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I just checked and the late, great Peter Heidenstrom agrees that Lumley was their best as he named her as the W100 rep in his NZL centenary dream team back in 1992. He named also her contemporaries Norma Wilson and Thelma Kench as being viable choices for the reserve spot.

I also had a deeper look at the last 30 years and AUS has always had somebody with a faster legal time except in 2020, where Hobbs' 11.38 tipped out the best AUS time of 11.50 by Jacinta Beecher.

However, with COVID running interference, it's hard to know if that is significant or not, especially as Hobbs' 2021 SB was beaten or equalled 8 times by two different AUS runners.

Of course, she is also temporarily ahead in 2022 by a large 2/10, 11.15 to the 11.36 by Bree Masters but we'll see after Adelaide.

Comment

PS. I noticed that the IAAF has a guy named Nathan MacDonell in the NZL W100 alltime list but he won a M200 race this year:

https://www.the-sports.org/athletics...85.html#536064

Some NZL posters might want to bring this to the attention of the NZL stats guys to ensure his profile is corrected, well, unless he's reassigned his gender - NZL has form for that.

Comment

Hobbs time also surpasses Kerry Johnsons 11.19 from the 1990 CG as NZ allcomers record

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post
                            PS. I noticed that the IAAF has a guy named Nathan MacDonell in the NZL W100 alltime list
                            IAAF lists also have an Aussie guy in our W100 or 200 rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by Glorydays View Post
                              Hobbs time also surpasses Kerry Johnsons 11.19 from the 1990 CG as NZ allcomers record
                              Good point, I should have picked that up but I was too distracted by Mr MacDonell's gender bending.

Comment

Working...
                              X