Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important to precise that the Germans will focus on the European Championships at home rather than the WC. So Kaul and al. may not even appear in Oregon after all ... Eugene (23/24 July, end of program with the 1500 last event before the 4x400) and Munich (15/16 August, first on deck) are only three weeks apart.
    But Eugene and Birmingham (Commonwealth Games, 4/5 August) are even closer and Moloney and Dubler are already confirmed ! Don't know if they'll try and double, if so the emphasis will probably be put on the Worlds as they come first (I guess so). What about the Canadians in that matter ?

Comment

• Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post
      Important to precise that the Germans will focus on the European Championships at home rather than the WC.
      Well, that's just messed up!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        Maybe but if they have someone who could Podium/Win ECs but be back at 10th or lower at WCs, it is not entirely unreasonable.

Comment

Important to precise that the Germans will focus on the European Championships at home rather than the WC. So Kaul and al. may not even appear in Oregon after all ... Eugene (23/24 July, end of program with the 1500 last event before the 4x400) and Munich (15/16 August, first on deck) are only three weeks apart.
          But Eugene and Birmingham (Commonwealth Games, 4/5 August) are even closer and Moloney and Dubler are already confirmed ! Don't know if they'll try and double, if so the emphasis will probably be put on the Worlds as they come first (I guess so). What about the Canadians in that matter ?
          The British heptathlete Holly Mills will turn down a place in the Worlds if she qualifies to focus on the Commonwealth and Europeans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/61374043

Talking of Canadians, I wonder if Damian Warner might fancy doing the LJ in the Commonwealths?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            Still understandable. The EC aren't the WC but they have a great value nonetheless, especially at home. And with the strong possibility that they're going to be the only ones to prioritize Munich over Eugene, the competition will be open as never before. Mayer won't double, others will but arrive shapeless in Bavaria ...
            Kaul is struggling, he is not going to be a contender to defend a crown he's already won, but he can conquer something else. Guys like Abele or Kazmirek would prefer a last local Champ to a distant one (not that they'll stop but this is the last chance to compete in front of the home crowd) etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

The British heptathlete Holly Mills will turn down a place in the Worlds if she qualifies to focus on the Commonwealth and Europeans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/61374043

Talking of Canadians, I wonder if Damian Warner might fancy doing the LJ in the Commonwealths?
              Yeah, maybe not a Dec but a Triathlon : LJ, 110H, 100 (+4x100) ?

Comment

The DLV puts priority on Ratingen and Götzis, then potentially Arona, then potentially the rest. So should he score 8350 in Eugene he would come after athletes getting the auto-Q in either Götzis or Arona. As you said though, I hardly see two Germans doing so. Abele will be in Götzis (!), first Dec since Talence 18', nothing in 2021, two comps (SP and DT) in 2020 ... then Nowak seems to be the most likely, then probably Bechmann who looked out of shape in Ratingen, Brugger has injured himself there and aside from them a monstrous breakthrough is not to overlook but belongs to the realm of dreams.
                Note also that both wild-cards technically need to go over the Q to be selected. But the lack of internal competition will probably see them fly to Oregon anyway.
                I don't follow closely multi-events in Europe (so there may be a familiarity bias) but in my opinion Max Vollmer (Oregon) should be on the list too.
                While his sum of PBs (8412) is slightly less than Bechman he seems to be in a better shape lately. So far this year he broke all his running PBs the HJ, JT and his decathlon best. He will need a flawless night in Eugene, which is difficult but not impossible.

Comment

But Eugene and Birmingham (Commonwealth Games, 4/5 August) are even closer and Moloney and Dubler are already confirmed ! Don't know if they'll try and double, if so the emphasis will probably be put on the Worlds as they come first (I guess so).
                  Story today in the Canberra Times :

Gun Australian decathletes Ash Moloney and Cedric Dubler will push their bodies to the limit - and perhaps beyond - when they chase a near-unprecedented world championships and Commonwealth Games double.

The pair were among the first 32 athletes named in the Australian track and field squad on Monday for the Birmingham Commonwealth Games.

Moloney and Dubler will also contest the world titles in Oregon, where their gruelling 10-event discipline winds up on July 24, just 11 days before the Commonwealth Games decathlon begins.
                  But don't worry, if it goes wrong, the fall guy is already named 🤣🤣🤣🤣

"The big reason I think it's possible is because I saw an athlete (Pawel Wiesiolek from Poland) who did five decathlons week after week in the lead-up to the Tokyo Olympics and on his very last one he got the qualifier," the 27-year-old Dubler told AAP.
                  Source (paywall)

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sto...n-games-squad/

Comment

• Originally posted by El Toro View Post

Story today in the Canberra Times :

But don't worry, if it goes wrong, the fall guy is already named 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Source (paywall)

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sto...n-games-squad/
                    So the Wiesolek Quintuple is now inspiring others.
                    Good to see, as I find some too conservative when it comes to competing in a full Decathlon.

Comment

• Was this NCAA season so special?
                      Number of athletes above various benchmarks (after conferences finals)in the last 10 years and the lowest result to qualify (min)
                      Year 8500 8200 8100 8000 7900 7800 min
                      2022 2 2 5 7 10 15 7588
                      2021 0 2 3 3 4 7 7493
                      2019 0 0 2 2 4 6 7386
                      2018 0 0 1 4 7 8 7475
                      2017 1 3 3 3 7 9 7471
                      2016 0 2 4 5 6 8 7339
                      2015 0 2 2 2 2 5 7337
                      2014 0 0 2 3 3 4 7334
                      2013 0 2 2 4 6 7 7406
                      2012 0 0 0 2 4 8 7508
                      Of the top-12 this year, only two (!) are seniors.
                      Last edited by olorin; 05-17-2022, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• Götzis' entries to be released on Saturday, I can't help but tease them ...
                        No trace of Americans as far as I know, would love to see Scantling there but it seems less than likely.
                        Of course Warner is there, and LePage with him I guess.
                        Strong German presence as usual (Kaul, Kazmirek, Abele ...), will they prove to be in better shape than in Ratingen ?
                        Estonians too. No Tilga sadly but Hans-Christian Hausenberg to make his "debut" in the senior Dec (official record 6568, 4 started, 3 finished with 1 LJ NM, 1 DT NM, 1 PV NH, official 1500 record 5.22).
                        After Skotheim's breakthrough in Grosseto (he'll compete in a Dec this week-end) I'm really looking forward to watch Frantisek Doubek and Jente Hauttekeete on a senior 10-events.

For the Hep not much info but I expect great things for Saga Vanninen !

Comment

• Gotzis lineups are confirmed, KJT is now doing it, she looked very rusty indoors, which has perhaps influenced her decision

Comment

• Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
                            Gotzis lineups are confirmed, KJT is now doing it, she looked very rusty indoors, which has perhaps influenced her decision
                            https://meeting-goetzis.at/en/meeting/entry-list
                            Hawkins and Kendell Williams are entered.

Comment

• Dec loaded for sure

Comment

• Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
                                Gotzis lineups are confirmed, KJT is now doing it, she looked very rusty indoors, which has perhaps influenced her decision
                                KJT did the LJ at the Birmingham DL. Quotes from DL because the results wouldn't load for me:

World heptathlon champion Katarina Johnson-Thompson (GBR) also took part in the women’s long jump, finishing with a best of 6.41m...

Comment

Working...
                                X