Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To single out one event in particular, I am no PV coach but I suspect that the 'perfect' conditions for many vaulters would occur outdoors - warm, dry and with a steady following breeze blowing down the runway. However, these conditions are fairly rare, particularly the breeze part. On the other hand, far and away the worst conditions also occur outdoors - cold, wet, swirling or gusty winds etc. Indoors competitions provide good vaulting conditions the vast majority of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
      the worst conditions also occur outdoors - cold, wet, swirling or gusty winds etc.
      The only conditions we feared was any kind of rain - getting the grip wet - which typically suspended competition, and wind in the face, which forces smaller poles and the threat of rejection, not getting the pole to vertical.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post

If Crouser flips one of those big soft indoor shots 77 feet, will that count as an "absolute" record? ....
        no

<<The shot shall be of solid iron, brass or any metal not softer than brass, or a shell of

such metal filled with lead or other solid material. It shall be spherical in shape and its

surface finish shall be smooth.>>

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post

Good answers, gh, thank you ! So "absolute" is their term, not yours... that's good.
          It is not an official WA term. They use 'world record' and 'world indoor record'. The word 'absolute' is just commonly used by the media to make things clearer.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I believe (not that it's a big deal one way or the other) that T&FN was first to adopt "absolute"; but you're right, WA doesn't use it

Comment

I just love two pages of discussion of records. It was more exciting than watching Alabama Relay Live on ESPN today. I tell you outdoor T&F is so boring when is watched on TV. I prefer watching indoor meets on ESPN but like to attend outdoor meets.

Comment

I agree with WA and T&FN that an indoor record that surpasses the outdoor one should always be listed with it. The fact that the conditions might have been better indoors doesn't mean they were. Of course we much be careful of other factors such as the structure of the floor for Thranhardt's 2.42

Comment

Originally posted by berkeley View Post
                  Of course we much be careful of other factors such as the structure of the floor for Thranhardt's 2.42
                  I have always thought that the joists of some indoor jump venues made the surfaces, shall we say . . . springier than others . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    I have always thought that the joists of some indoor jump venues made the surfaces, shall we say . . . springier than others . . .
                    There are also some venues where you can start the run-up on the banking which might help a little.

Comment

Working...
                    X