Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Penn Relays

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    This was terrible TV coverage of Outdoor T&F. The commentators made it it a bit tolerable (thanks guys).
    Just watch 110m Allen win: Starts at 3:20 min https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKVuotEQp00

    men 4x100m start at 2:00 min: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iziL38CPWk

    women 100H start at 2:20 min: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiZz0FEZh1o

    Basically nothing can be seen. Conclusion Franklin field should be redesigned to help TV coverage.

    Comment


    • #32
      Did they run the sprints on the reverse side of the track? I think that's what contributed to the angles and coverage we saw on TV

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by steveu View Post

        Still no splits on the web site results.
        Isabel Van Camp (4:15.7), Logan Jolly (4:13.7), Lauren Gregory (4:12.5), and Gear (4:12.0)

        (Courtesy Shawn Price, SID extraordinaire at Arkansas)

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by GHM View Post
          This was terrible TV coverage of Outdoor T&F. The commentators made it it a bit tolerable (thanks guys).
          Just watch 110m Allen win: Starts at 3:20 min https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKVuotEQp00

          men 4x100m start at 2:00 min: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iziL38CPWk

          women 100H start at 2:20 min: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiZz0FEZh1o

          Basically nothing can be seen. Conclusion Franklin field should be redesigned to help TV coverage.
          There is only so much you can do with a century old stadium. Franklin Field was just redone a few years ago with major changes to accommodate track & field. Football, soccer and lacrosse were after thoughts. But to do anything better for our sport, you’d have to demolish the stadium and that would get even more resistance than the redo of Hayward Field got. Keep in mind that the meet is beloved by over 100,000 spectators over three days each year.

          Note that the redo at least got six legal lanes in the stadium with 3 more lanes inside the railing. Much better than the 5 &4, and 4 & 4 versions of yesteryear. But the hurdles & dashes on Saturday are run on the backstretch which is on the south side. On Friday, hurdle trials are on the south side while 100 trials are on the north side.

          Franklin Field does have a beautiful scoreboard and has a capacity of about 52,000. And the Penn Relays far outdraw Ivy League football.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by aaronk View Post
            No record, but the first 7 teams in the Men's 4 X Mile Relay ran between 16:17.45 and 16:19.01!!
            Must have been some finish!!
            LOL
            And not one sub 4 ?

            Comment


            • #36
              I will add that most people were thrilled to be back after the COVID layoff in 2020 & 2021. With a new Director Steve Dolan who is also Penn Head Coach (shades of Jim Tuppeny) there were some interesting changes.

              1. The College events started only Thursday evening. The Thursday day session is now mostly high school girls events. College women trials are now Friday.

              2. College relay teams in championship events are now allowed to warm up striding on the infield in a fenced off area.

              3. A new Friday evening session with elite (mostly distance events).

              4. No Shuttle Hurdle Relay. 🙁 I hope this is not a permanent decision.

              5. No High School 400m hurdles. 🙁 I hope this is also not permanent.

              6. Other significant schedule changes too numerous to mention to satisfy the NCAA and ESPN.


              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                I will add that most people were thrilled to be back after the COVID layoff in 2020 & 2021. With a new Director Steve Dolan who is also Penn Head Coach (shades of Jim Tuppeny) there were some interesting changes.

                1. The College events started only Thursday evening. The Thursday day session is now mostly high school girls events. College women trials are now Friday.

                2. College relay teams in championship events are now allowed to warm up striding on the infield in a fenced off area.

                3. A new Friday evening session with elite (mostly distance events).

                4. No Shuttle Hurdle Relay. 🙁 I hope this is not a permanent decision.

                5. No High School 400m hurdles. 🙁 I hope this is also not permanent.

                6. Other significant schedule changes too numerous to mention to satisfy the NCAA and ESPN.

                They also had no USA vs the World races. I spoke with a lot of people (Jamaicans) who were disappointed with this.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                  I will add that most people were thrilled to be back after the COVID layoff in 2020 & 2021. With a new Director Steve Dolan who is also Penn Head Coach (shades of Jim Tuppeny) there were some interesting changes.

                  1. The College events started only Thursday evening. The Thursday day session is now mostly high school girls events. College women trials are now Friday.

                  2. College relay teams in championship events are now allowed to warm up striding on the infield in a fenced off area.

                  3. A new Friday evening session with elite (mostly distance events).

                  4. No Shuttle Hurdle Relay. 🙁 I hope this is not a permanent decision.

                  5. No High School 400m hurdles. 🙁 I hope this is also not permanent.

                  6. Other significant schedule changes too numerous to mention to satisfy the NCAA and ESPN.

                  I do hope its permanent as its comical to see athletes taking off before their teammate actually come across the line. I think this event is an even bigger farce than the mixed relays,

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    If Penn wants to survive as a meet, USA v. The World (more like USA v. Jamaica!) needs to be brought back! USA v the World is too fan-friendly to remove....!

                    Understanding that was a post-pandemic move, and an opportunity to try new things, like having more individual races. But the fact that the entire Olympic 100m podium was not there to run the 4x1 for Jamaica....!

                    And if one is going to try more individual races, at least run races that are still ran, at the pro level. That 600 should have been a full 800.

                    And with more individual races, Penn can use a few more video screens...!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I forgot to mention that it was good to see SEC schools back: I noticed at least Arkansas, Auburn, Old Miss, South Carolina, and Tennessee. Is the SEC meet made for television that was a schedule conflict still around?

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                        I forgot to mention that it was good to see SEC schools back: I noticed at least Arkansas, Auburn, Old Miss, South Carolina, and Tennessee. Is the SEC meet made for television that was a schedule conflict still around?
                        No, the SEC Relays is gone. But a lot of SEC athletes also went to LSU yesterday.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by OneWay View Post

                          I do hope its permanent as its comical to see athletes taking off before their teammate actually come across the line. I think this event is an even bigger farce than the mixed relays,
                          Agree...

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            "Originally posted by OneWay : I do hope its permanent as its comical to see athletes taking off before their teammate actually come across the line. I think this event is an even bigger farce than the mixed relays,"

                            I won a mixed 2x5k and mixed 2x1 mile races many moons ago.

                            Many love and enjoy watching mixed relays (running, swimming, triathlon) I am campaigning to bring mixed diving, mixed shooting, etc to world championship and Olympics.

                            Why not get rid of 20 Km walk and replace it with 4x5 Km mixed walk?

                            4x100H or 4x110H are gimmick races but a tradition in a few relays and sometimes fun to watch. No need for it in World championship.

                            NOT T&F related: Winter Olympics Cross Country should get rid of either classical or free style and replace one with 4x5000m mixed race.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              I was there all three days and it was heaven. Perfect weather, good races, amazing crowd to see a track meet and the announcer was on top of his game. Yes, there are many things that can be improved at Penn Relays, especially the viewing angles, and they really need to move the 100 and 110 hurdles to the homestretch where the afternoon sun warms the athletes and the stands are absolutely packed. The crowd was LOUD on both Friday and Saturday with the usual huge Jamaican presence. I have to say I liked the 300 and 600 because it gives you a chance to see MU, Will London, Ajee Wilson and others run something that they dont normally run and it was a good change of pace. I'm going to see Mu run a lot of 800s in her career, so watching that 600 was a great idea. Being at this meet reminds me of how exciting this sport can be in person. I'll take this over a baseball game any day of the week.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                I have only attended one Penn Relay, years ago as an exchange official. I anticipated the carnival atmosphere and was not disappointed. Penn is unique, with the Jamaicans and sixty 4x1s in an hour. Every track fan should experience it, a great track meet in one of the worst track venues in existence. I would go back just to try to figure out that center rail.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X