Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Penn Relays

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    I have only attended one Penn Relay, years ago as an exchange official. I anticipated the carnival atmosphere and was not disappointed. Penn is unique, with the Jamaicans and sixty 4x1s in an hour. Every track fan should experience it, a great track meet in one of the worst track venues in existence. I would go back just to try to figure out that center rail.
    I took my young family there in the mid-80s and I would describe it as Beautiful Bedlam or perhaps Crazy Chaos or maybe even Inspired Insanity. The kids loved it.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by steveu View Post

      No, the SEC Relays is gone. But a lot of SEC athletes also went to LSU yesterday.
      Was the LSU meet televised on the SEC network?

      Comment


      • #48
        I’d also mention that I think Penn Relays would welcome back USA vs The World events but it all depends on negotiations with USATF and Nike which has the most athletes.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          I took my young family there in the mid-80s and I would describe it as Beautiful Bedlam or perhaps Crazy Chaos or maybe even Inspired Insanity. The kids loved it.
          I don't remember if I have related this anecdote but here goes.
          I was working the horizontal jumps, nothing to do with running events. During a break, I ventured up into the Jamaican east end. Seeing my blue blazer, a Jamaican gentleman confronted me, complaining Jamaican runners had been in inside or outside lanes all day. I pulled out my cell phone, called one of my horizontal teammates, and had a confusing conversation. By a grand coincidence, as soon as I hung up, the next race was called and there was Jamaica in lane 5. My petitioner thanked me profusely. I quickly retreated to the infield.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

            Was the LSU meet televised on the SEC network?
            No.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
              I’d also mention that I think Penn Relays would welcome back USA vs The World events but it all depends on negotiations with USATF and Nike which has the most athletes.
              If that's the case, then Penn Relays will wither away, with no USA v The World. It keeps the Jamaicans in the seats, and it's TV friendly...!

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by einnod23 View Post

                If that's the case, then Penn Relays will wither away, with no USA v The World. It keeps the Jamaicans in the seats, and it's TV friendly...!
                I think as long as the Jamaican high schools still show up it doesn't matter if USA vs The World happens.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by gm View Post

                  I think as long as the Jamaican high schools still show up it doesn't matter if USA vs The World happens.
                  Yes, it does! This year's meet did not have the same feeling, like the past, even with the Jamaican schools. There will definitely be a TV issue.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                    Was the LSU meet televised on the SEC network?
                    "NO as gm mentioned".

                    Georgia Tech and TXAM meets were shown on ACC-SEC channels but only online (replays are available now). Looked at one of them for a few min. It was a single camera and it was using the stadium announcer for sound-info.

                    Dear gh: Do you have any pull with NCAA T&F and ESPN? There should be at least closed caption and list of event going on and what is coming next in right or bottom of the screen. No one can watch 5.5 hours of single camera live broadcast or ever replays. Example: How can I watch W100m final? At what time in broadcast and so on.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by GHM View Post
                      "NO as gm mentioned".

                      Georgia Tech and TXAM meets were shown on ACC-SEC channels but only online (replays are available now). Looked at one of them for a few min. It was a single camera and it was using the stadium announcer for sound-info.

                      Dear gh: Do you have any pull with NCAA T&F and ESPN? There should be at least closed caption and list of event going on and what is coming next in right or bottom of the screen. No one can watch 5.5 hours of single camera live broadcast or ever replays. Example: How can I watch W100m final? At what time in broadcast and so on.
                      Those streaming broadcasts are generally produced by the host school.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Announced attendance for Penn was 92K+ for three days including 38K+ for Saturday. Recent normal has been about 110K and 45K+. All in all, not bad after the layoff from COVID. Still a heckuva lot more than anywhere else.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                          ESPNnews or ESPN+ for Penn at the moment as there's a woman's softball game on ESPN2 at the moment.
                          I do have ESPNnews, but I didn't record it. So I missed the first 30min of coverage. Then I learned at the end of my DVR recording that McLaughlin had raced. How am I supposed to know that?

                          I also could not see women's 100m, although I could hear the race happening while the TV was showing the 1500m runners waiting for their race.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                            I do have ESPNnews, but I didn't record it. So I missed the first 30min of coverage. Then I learned at the end of my DVR recording that McLaughlin had raced. How am I supposed to know that?

                            I also could not see women's 100m, although I could hear the race happening while the TV was showing the 1500m runners waiting for their race.
                            Coverage replay, including the first thirty minutes, is available on ESPN's website:

                            https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/...c-a3151d79cfd6

                            No excuse for the women's 100 snafu.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X