This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clementina View Post
    By the way dear Aaronk finds her colourful; I find her aggressive, morose, self pitying, bad mannered and bloody overrated.
    Look again at my reply to GH!
    I put the word colorful in quotes---for both Bolt et al, and for Richardson!
    But if you read my comment correctly, you'll see that me calling Richardson "colorful" was anything BUT a compliment!!
    LOL

Comment

Originally posted by clementina View Post

Only their business to enforce the rules. Very inconvenient for some. WADA rules on stuff that baby was smoking were supported by USADA.
      Exactly, WADA, USADA, and all the others should stay in their lane.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
        Sporting achievements aside, kind of insulting to Michael Jordan to compare Richardson to him, with regard to class, drive, etc.
        I admire MJ as much as the next guy, but if you saw The Last Dance documentary, you saw what a mean-spirited, vindictive, poor sportsman he could be.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
          It's true that our opinions on her are based strongly on our not liking her as a person!
          I admit I'm one of those!!
          But looking at her as objectively as possible, I'm just not convinced she gives a shit about running anymore!!
          She got her celebrity status from her racing, but after that, it was mostly based on her shitty personality!
          She doesn't NEED to race anymore---not when she has millions of followers on social media!!

I hope she does come back---she was a fantastic sprinter, seemingly with endless potential!
          But I have strong doubts that she will!!

As for the marijuana, I smoked a LOT back in my hippie days ('67 to '73), and a few times after that, but I feel strongly that booze is far more dangerous than grass!
          So I don't agree with the ban they gave her because of the dope!
          She should NOT have been banned!
          I cannot argue with anything you said.

Comment

This is an interesting thread. I don't think an athlete has been this polarizing since Schippers was winning gold medals.

The paradox with Sha'carri is she is both good and bad for the sport. Whether we like it or not, she brought a lot of attention to the women's 100m last year, mainly through sympathy/bewilderment at her weed ban, but then through her 'colourful' personality. (yes, colourful). I said on a thread last year, I told a co-worker I was taking time off to watch the Tokyo athletics, and she replied "oh I don't know anything about athletics, other than that American woman that got busted for weed"...

I think we should not under estimate the huge amount of pressure she would have been under last season after the weed & DNS in Tokyo fiasco. There was so much attention thrust upon her, I don't think she was fully prepared for it, and her way of coping was to have a bit of an attitude. I really can't blame her to be honest. She doesn't owe anyone anything.

I have said before, I HATE that she trained with Gatlin, but giving her the benefit of the doubt, she was (is?) obviously extremely fast with amazing mechanics. She needs protecting & nurturing. If she has chosen to focus on her other opportunities, good luck to her, but if she does compete, I like the fire and spunk she brings to a race. I don't just want saccharine sweet athletes on the start line, I want some with a bit of attitude who's going to punch the air when they win. Plus, I like that she is very socio-political with her Insta stories. She is a fiercely proud & vocal black woman, and I kinda like that.

Comment

After she was last seen getting blown away by the Jamaicans at the Pre Classic, I was ready to put her 2021 campaign behind and move on. I was hoping she would come out with some early season performances that would give the American women a real shot to compete with SFP and ET. Instead, its three no shows and crickets as to why. Granted, we are only in Mid May, but my hope that she has the team around her to take all this energy and focus it on the 100 meters is waning by the day. I hope she proves me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by 58Commander View Post
                Instead, its three no shows and crickets as to why.
                The worry is her tweets on US Anti doping. One really hopes that isn't the reason for the no shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

The worry is her tweets on US Anti doping. One really hopes that isn't the reason for the no shows.
                  There's a FloTrack tweet with a video showing 2 FloTrack guys discussing Justin Gatlin saying Sha'Carri ran a 10.3 in practice!
                  Thus far, the responses (including mine!) are hilarious!
                  LOL

Comment

Justin Gatlin saying Sha'Carri ran a 10.3 in practice!
                    I'm sure she did . . . for 100 yards.

Comment

There's a FloTrack tweet with a video showing 2 FloTrack guys discussing Justin Gatlin saying Sha'Carri ran a 10.3 in practice!
                      Thus far, the responses (including mine!) are hilarious!
                      LOL
                      my brother in law's 2nd cousin twice removed was there and can vouch for it!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post

my brother in law's 2nd cousin twice removed was there and can vouch for it!
                        Are you joking?
                        That's a joke, right??
                        LOL

Comment

Are you joking?
                          That's a joke, right??
                          LOL
                          I will let you decide if it is a joke or not!

Comment

This is an interesting thread. I don't think an athlete has been this polarizing since Schippers was winning gold medals.

The paradox with Sha'carri is she is both good and bad for the sport. Whether we like it or not, she brought a lot of attention to the women's 100m last year, mainly through sympathy/bewilderment at her weed ban, but then through her 'colourful' personality. (yes, colourful). I said on a thread last year, I told a co-worker I was taking time off to watch the Tokyo athletics, and she replied "oh I don't know anything about athletics, other than that American woman that got busted for weed"...

I think we should not under estimate the huge amount of pressure she would have been under last season after the weed & DNS in Tokyo fiasco. There was so much attention thrust upon her, I don't think she was fully prepared for it, and her way of coping was to have a bit of an attitude. I really can't blame her to be honest. She doesn't owe anyone anything.

I have said before, I HATE that she trained with Gatlin, but giving her the benefit of the doubt, she was (is?) obviously extremely fast with amazing mechanics. She needs protecting & nurturing. If she has chosen to focus on her other opportunities, good luck to her, but if she does compete, I like the fire and spunk she brings to a race. I don't just want saccharine sweet athletes on the start line, I want some with a bit of attitude who's going to punch the air when they win. Plus, I like that she is very socio-political with her Insta stories. She is a fiercely proud & vocal black woman, and I kinda like that.
                            Ah so you are saccharine sweet if you are not rude,juvenile and demonstrate all the characteristics of an unhappy fat head Now I understand. One thing I cannot understand is some of the posters here

Comment

Schippers was polarizing?
                              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

Schippers was polarizing?
                                I think Wiederganger referred to some insidious remarks that doubted her legitimacy based on none other than her looks and her rapid ascension since she switched to sprinting. I remember one or two discussions on this board too.

Comment

Working...
                                X