Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steve View Post

I don't think that her being aggressive and confrontational as an athlete or in defense of herself is a bad thing. As for abrasive, that's in the eye of the beholder. She's not that abrasive to me. Her language may be off-putting to some, but the words she uses are definitely those of her generation.

It's important to note that most of her generation aren't a fraction as talented, competitive, driven, colorful, or honest as she is.
    As my daughters are 21 and 18 and each have many friends that we have contact with I'd like to call "bs" to this claim. There has been this weird and infantilizing effort to absolve Richardson of any agency/control over her public thoughts and actions.

Disapprove of behavior does not equal hate.
    Last edited by scottmitchell74; 05-13-2022, 04:41 PM.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Spot on on all counts, scottmitchell. My son is 22 and daughter is 20. They and their friends seem to speak a different "language of their generation" then does Richardson. They will use the occasional four letter word, but not in the context of Richardson i.e. the "see you at the finish line, bitches!" tweet about her competitors and whatever other four-letter words she has used while being interviewed. (Disclaimer: I think four-letter words have their role, like George Carlin said, and like Henry Fonda in On Golden Pond, "Bullshit...it's a good word".) My kids both did competitive sports and treated their competitors with respect, on and off the track and in and out of the pool. I know that Richardson had numerous social/life challenges growing up, but she competed for a major university and now is on the world stage as one of the (potentially) greatest sprinters of the next decade. Despite, I would imagine, friends and handlers and agents trying to...adjust some of the behavior a bit, I don't see her putting on any big girl panties yet. Granted, she doesn't owe me or any other track fans a thing, but, let's see, would I prefer her rant with Lewis Johnson at Pre, or SAFP's perfectly delivered smile in the background as she walked past that interview? Give me SAFP any day.
      Last edited by DrJay; 05-13-2022, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

As my daughters are 21 and 18 and each have many friends that we have contact with I'd like to call "bs" to this claim. There has been this weird and infantilizing effort to absolve Richardson of any agency/control over her public thoughts and actions.

Disapprove of behavior does not equal hate.

I just don't agree with you for Dr. Jay. You can call “bs” all you want, but I doubt your kids and their friends speak around you the way they do around each other. Add to that that your kids aren’t scrutinized at all to the extent that Sha’Carri is and aren’t a part of her peer group and don't rely on social media to support their careers. In addition they likely aren’t as competitive or as outspoken as she is in defense of herself, but that's just not offensive to me the way it is to you. I’m sure your kids are good people, but they are absolutely not proof of the idea that Sha’Carri is doing anything other than using the language of her age/generation/peer group/or other descriptive term to show that she's a product of her surroundings in that regard, and that she is very strong willed. Not necessarily bad traits.

I would offer my 17 yo son and 14 yo daughter as a counter-example. Both excellent student-athletes who are much more edgy with their friends than with me, and, gratefully, make efforts to not let me see that. They aren't all over social media. I stand by the idea that she uses words and phrases of her generation, but more precisely her peer group. Her fame means we get to see it, whereas our kids live largely in anonymity; sometimes even from their own parents. Besides, her tweeting "see you at the finish line, bitches" didn't seem to diminish her fellow athlete's support of her. To me she wasn't disrespectful, but was just stoking the competitive fire. She didn't invent trash-talking.

To be clear, I haven’t been attempting any “weird and infantilizing effort to absolve Richardson” of anything, because I don’t think she’s done anything wrong. You’ve resorted to criticizing my efforts in defending her as being part of some problem. It’s not. I think she is being judged unfairly because she doesn’t behave how you think she should. Other than her pot ban she hasn’t done anything wrong or harmed anyone, and the pot ban is ridiculous to begin with.

I would say that I think there is a weird and pedantic effort on your behalf for going to great depths to blame her and her behaviors as having a real negative effect on track and society, and/or that they are representative of some moral crisis in her life. I don't think we have a real way of knowing that from the evidence at hand and those statements against her are, in my view, prematurely judgmental.

Comment

Hard for me to believe people think about someone else so much!

Comment

I just don't agree with you for Dr. Jay. You can call “bs” all you want, but I doubt your kids and their friends speak around you the way they do around each other. Add to that that your kids aren’t scrutinized at all to the extent that Sha’Carri is and aren’t a part of her peer group and don't rely on social media to support their careers. In addition they likely aren’t as competitive or as outspoken as she is in defense of herself, but that's just not offensive to me the way it is to you. I’m sure your kids are good people, but they are absolutely not proof of the idea that Sha’Carri is doing anything other than using the language of her age/generation/peer group/or other descriptive term to show that she's a product of her surroundings in that regard, and that she is very strong willed. Not necessarily bad traits.

I would offer my 17 yo son and 14 yo daughter as a counter-example. Both excellent student-athletes who are much more edgy with their friends than with me, and, gratefully, make efforts to not let me see that. They aren't all over social media. I stand by the idea that she uses words and phrases of her generation, but more precisely her peer group. Her fame means we get to see it, whereas our kids live largely in anonymity; sometimes even from their own parents. Besides, her tweeting "see you at the finish line, bitches" didn't seem to diminish her fellow athlete's support of her. To me she wasn't disrespectful, but was just stoking the competitive fire. She didn't invent trash-talking.

To be clear, I haven’t been attempting any “weird and infantilizing effort to absolve Richardson” of anything, because I don’t think she’s done anything wrong. You’ve resorted to criticizing my efforts in defending her as being part of some problem. It’s not. I think she is being judged unfairly because she doesn’t behave how you think she should. Other than her pot ban she hasn’t done anything wrong or harmed anyone, and the pot ban is ridiculous to begin with.

I would say that I think there is a weird and pedantic effort on your behalf for going to great depths to blame her and her behaviors as having a real negative effect on track and society, and/or that they are representative of some moral crisis in her life. I don't think we have a real way of knowing that from the evidence at hand and those statements against her are, in my view, prematurely judgmental.
            Your posts are way longer than mine or others who don't find her so charming. Long, wordy defense of someone's behavior is called "spin" as I'm sure you're aware.
            You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

I doubt your kids and their friends speak around you the way they do around each other.
              But that's the point here - she has no filter, and that is exactly what has created her 'problems'.

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

Your posts are way longer than mine or others who don't find her so charming. Long, wordy defense of someone's behavior is called "spin" as I'm sure you're aware.
                I'm not sure why you're attacking me. I'm not spinning anything (just so you know, the number of words and length of a statement is not what makes something a "spin"; it's not sticking to the topic, making spurrious distracting statements,and attacking the other person that does that. Just so we're completely clear, you are doing that). I'm trying to be thorough and complete in my explanation so as to avoid you reading the worst possible connotation. I've clearly failed. Obviously we are polar opposites on this issue.
                Last edited by steve; 05-14-2022, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Justin Gatlin is helping coach her now and says she is runnibg 10.3 in practice. Do we believe him?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    But that's the point here - she has no filter, and that is exactly what has created her 'problems'.
                    What "problems" are you thinking of? Her suspension? That had nothing to do with her perceived "lack of filter". It seems like her only real problem outside of that is offending a bunch of middle to old aged men on a message board, some on social media, and Usain Bolt (pot calling the kettle black on that one). What other problems?

Comment

• Originally posted by fasttrak85 View Post
                      Justin Gatlin is helping coach her now and says she is runnibg 10.3 in practice. Do we believe him?
                      With a wind, and counting "one-one thousand, two-one thousand..."

Comment

• Originally posted by steve View Post
                        What "problems" are you thinking of? Her suspension? That had nothing to do with her perceived "lack of filter". It seems like her only real problem outside of that is offending a bunch of middle to old aged men on a message board, some on social media, and Usain Bolt (pot calling the kettle black on that one). What other problems?
                        Read the reviews of her 'interviews' last year. She says things 'out loud' that we all think, but we don't actually say, because we know we'll be perceived (by MOST people, not just MAM!) as being a Class A Jerk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Read the reviews of her 'interviews' last year. She says things 'out loud' that we all think, but we don't actually say, because we know we'll be perceived (by MOST people, not just MAM!) as being a Class A Jerk.
                          So her problems are how others review her interviews?

I saw one article discuss how she channeled hip-hop artist Nicki Minaj using her "see you at the finish line, bitches" post. That rings more true to me. It's not approach I would use, but also not one that I think deserves this much negativity.

Comment

• Originally posted by steve View Post
                            It's not approach I would use, but also not one that I think deserves this much negativity.
                            As you can see above, I agree with you on that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              As you can see above, I agree with you on that.
                              True.

Comment

• If ShaCarri returns to action and runs fast, I will be delighted no matter her demeanor. If she doesn't, my life will be totally unaffected.

Comment

Working...
                                X