Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Powell again vows a world age-group record, in Finland

I count four times in 15 years that Mike has called his shot — despite not competing since 2003.
    https://timesofsandiego.com/sports/2...up-world-best/

Now he says he'll shoot for 7 meters (nearly 23 feet) at age 58. That would break the M50 world record as well as the M55 WR (of 21-4).

What are YOUR predictions for Mike at Tampere world masters meet?

K. E. N

9 meters

Comment

Mike has reportedly shed some pounds in recent months/years. I think, injury-free, he can do it

Comment

Originally posted by KenStone View Post
        I count four times in 15 years that Mike has called his shot — despite not competing since 2003.
        https://timesofsandiego.com/sports/2...up-world-best/

Now he says he'll shoot for 7 meters (nearly 23 feet) at age 58. That would break the M50 world record as well as the M55 WR (of 21-4).

What are YOUR predictions for Mike at Tampere world masters meet?

K. E. N
        Hey Ken, one of the "axions" once shared with me about masters track is "....you can only be as good as you once were." Therefore, MP can jump 7 meters. Fun to see former greats return as masters. Nothing make one feel better than to compete against a world record holder or former Olympian, even if they beat your by 30 seconds in a 1500 or 5 feet in the long jump.
        Last edited by DET59; 05-06-2022, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DET59 View Post

Hey Ken, one of the "axions" once shared with me about masters track is "....you can only be as good as you once were." Therefore, MP can jump 7 meters. Fun to see former greats return as masters. Nothing make one feel better than to compete against a world record holder or former Olympian, even if they beast your by 30 seconds or 5 feet in the long jump.
          I think track & field, and particularly road running, are sports where it is easier to get a chance to compete against someone like that than most others. In many other sports you have got to have reached a certain level to get the chance to play against a top performer.

Comment

One or the other will happen, with the first being most likely:

1. He will DNS.
            2. He competes, but doesn't clear 6m.

Comment

Originally posted by DET59 View Post
              Hey Ken, one of the "axions" once shared with me about masters track is "....you can only be as good as you once were."
              Incorrect, both in a competitive sense and a real performance sense.
              When I got into Masters T&F at 40, I was way better competitively than I ever was the first time around (against people way better than I at 21), and I also PRed in the PV at 46 (when I finally understood the event as a coach).
              Once you get to 70, you are still way better than most 6-year-olds!

Comment

I see a 6m40 jump

Comment

If he gets 6m I think it will be an achievement. Jumping events decline I think more than any other with age. I hope he proves me wrong though.

Comment

Working...
                  X