Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meadowsisms

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Meadowsisms

    From the Keino Classic:

    1. Mabomba
    2. Mambomba
    3. Mabama
    4. Mobamba
    5. Mboma (with an almost imperceptible M)

    No mention of front-end mechanics, however.


  • #2
    Ha!
    There are no strings on me

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Steele View Post
      From the Keino Classic:

      1. Mabomba
      2. Mambomba
      3. Mabama
      4. Mobamba
      5. Mboma (with an almost imperceptible M)

      No mention of front-end mechanics, however.
      In the beginning, Athing Mu was pronounced as it's spelled, like "moo"!
      Now we know better!
      Athing's got her MU-jo working!
      LOL

      Comment


      • #4
        Tokyo Mens 400H

        Lane 8 - Hiroya Kawagoe pronounced Hiragatsu (one name only). Couldn't have been a mispronunciation, must have been incorrect listing.
        Lane 7 - Kurokawa pronounced Kurokaway
        Lane 4 - Toyoda pronounced Toyod-da
        Lane 3 - Yamamoto pronounced Yakamoto-da. Maybe she is saying "Yakamoto there" and it's just her little speech mechanism and accent that throw me.
        Lane 2 - Matsushita pronounced Matushuteei. The stadium announcer pronounced it perfectly just two seconds prior! It's not like these are obscure Japanese names...
        Lane 1 - Onodera pronounced Owadera.

        smh

        Comment


        • #5
          Tokyo Womens 100H

          Lane 5 - Aoki pronounced Aoku
          Lane 7 - Fukube pronounced Fukukube (extra syllable, no charge)
          Lane 9 - Shimura pronounced Shimuru

          Comment


          • #6
            Justifiable criticisms in the main. Let us hope the piss taking here also occurs when usa tv commentators start their name pronunciations of european,african and asian athletes in a couple of months.!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by clementina View Post
              Let us hope the piss taking here also occurs when usa tv commentators start their name pronunciations of european,african and asian athletes in a couple of months.!

              Clearly you're new here lol

              There are no strings on me

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Steele View Post
                It's not like these are obscure Japanese names...
                Yes, some of her pronunciations are awful, but in her defense in this specific instance, she will not have had exposure to many Japanese names at all, not from growing up in Wigan in the north of England. The UK has a teeny, tiny Japanese population (something like 30k in the whole country) and when competing the majority of her competitors were European or others, rarely Japanese.

                She will have no knowledge of how to pronounce Japanese names, where the emphasis should be etc.

                Comment


                • #9
                  She used to be a world-class athlete, certainly met many Japanese athletes, has been commentating for some time now...
                  Even in this specific instance, it's not a problem of not emphasizing syllables correctly as much as completely changing them for at least three athletes. It's an issue with literally reading words. I do not want to take the piss too much in case she does have a reading disability of some sort, but in the absence of that, it's simply not justifiable.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ceil View Post
                    I do not want to take the piss too much in case she does have a reading disability of some sort, but in the absence of that, it's simply not justifiable.
                    She might indeed be dyslexic or have some other reading or speech impediment. But if that is the case she shouldn't be in the job, or she should spend extra time learning and rehearsing the names before each meet.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by guru View Post


                      Clearly you're new here lol
                      I have been reading the posts on this site for years and not posting myself
                      😄

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                        She might indeed be dyslexic or have some other reading or speech impediment. But if that is the case she shouldn't be in the job, or she should spend extra time learning and rehearsing the names before each meet.
                        I was thinking the same thing, as if she has a mild case of aphasia. In the Mboma case, she might hear that she's saying the same thing every time and they are all 'bomma' with that barely audible m at the beginning (which I think is correct (?) ).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Just curious. Frequently in the minority here, am I the only person here who is unperturbed by the mispronunciation of foreign names?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                            Just curious. Frequently in the minority here, am I the only person here who is unperturbed by the mispronunciation of foreign names?
                            I think it's unprofessional. If you are being paid to comment, getting the name right is high on my list. I bet you tried to do that when you were calling names for jumping. I sure did, even asking them what they wanted to be called, often the first name.
                            Last edited by Atticus; 05-09-2022, 03:50 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              I think it's unprofessional. If you are being paid to comment, getting the name right is high on my list.
                              Apparently so.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X