Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The worst possible coverage of the sprints! Well, no, it could have been worse if the camera were directly behind the starting line. Still, the worst I've ever seen. Camacho-Quinn's start was also the worst I've ever seen that wasn't a false start. Amazing that she was able to run 12.52, but then she's a 12.26 runner at her best. I could hear Carrie Tolephson (that's not necessarily a good thing), but I could barely hear the athletes being "interviewed". I have to say, though, that Lewis Johnson actually asked a few non-mindless questions. The fields were surprisingly good. Too bad LJ was still interviewing when the W 1500 started, then there was no clock on the screen. The "expert" didn't seem to know who that was way out ahead until the last 200.
    We never found out what Christian Taylor jumped, even though he was interviewed, no PV results given, no W LJ, just the one M SP throw.

Well, there's a professional meet on tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

And I thought there couldn’t be a worse meet than Bermuda USATF. But PR ATL managed to pull it off. Barely acknowledging field events, few final results mentioned, false start ignored, quick gun (?)in men’s 100….

Comment

Must give some credit to another Forum though. They have set out the full results of all events. Could get nothing from watchathletics site.

Comment

Originally posted by clementina View Post
          full results of all events..
          https://www.worldathletics.org/compe...esults/7175429

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
            ... Too bad LJ was still interviewing when the W 1500 started, then there was no clock on the screen. The "expert" didn't seem to know who that was way out ahead until the last 200.
            We never found out what Christian Taylor jumped, even though he was interviewed, no PV results given, no W LJ, just the one M SP throw.
            They gave the Women's PV the big build up as well, interviewing Sandi Morris for several minutes, and then seemed to forget about showing us any of the actual competition.

I've been watching meetings on ESPN for a few years now (I'm in the UK) and sadly all this seems pretty much par for the course for them. Not to mention the commercial breaks every 5 or 6 minutes which is, of course, when they could be showing field events. And way too much time spent looking at athletes on the startline. A savvy director would think, "It's obvious this race isn't going to start for a few minutes, let's go to some field action."

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

They gave the Women's PV the big build up as well, interviewing Sandi Morris for several minutes, and then seemed to forget about showing us any of the actual competition.

I've been watching meetings on ESPN for a few years now (I'm in the UK) and sadly all this seems pretty much par for the course for them. Not to mention the commercial breaks every 5 or 6 minutes which is, of course, when they could be showing field events. And way too much time spent looking at athletes on the startline. A savvy director would think, "It's obvious this race isn't going to start for a few minutes, let's go to some field action."
              I really doubt this was an ESPN production team. To reiterate what gm was saying ESPN thinks this is worthy of air time, but not money or effort.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2 View Post

I really doubt this was an ESPN production team. To reiterate what gm was saying ESPN thinks this is worthy of air time, but not money or effort.
                Well, the end-product was certainly reminiscent of the dross that ESPN have produced for many previous meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
                  Well, the end-product was certainly reminiscent of the dross that ESPN have produced for many previous meetings.
                  As much as I agree with many of the above comments, it sure beats the alternative, NO TV coverage.
                  I much prefer webcasts, but something is to be said about trying to keep T&F in the public eye, and something, even 'rough' coverage, is better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    As much as I agree with many of the above comments, it sure beats the alternative, NO TV coverage.
                    I much prefer webcasts, but something is to be said about trying to keep T&F in the public eye, and something, even 'rough' coverage, is better than nothing.
                    Yeah, but this could easily be a turn off for people who are "testing out" T&F on TV. They may conclude that T&F on TV is boring and decide not to watch until the next Olympics.

Every time I see ATL on TV, I have to appreciate how well DL meets are produced, both in terms of the meets themselves and the TV coverage.

Comment

Working...
                    X