Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    [though I do approve of divisions - the more the merrier!]
    I hope we never go to divisions in California - the meet format here assures that the best will go head-to-head. Allyson Felix would always have been in the small-schools division and never gone up against Poly. Or those great relay teams from Serra (Gardena) would never face the big guns. (I'm less familiar with the size of the schools in the "up north" part of the state.)

Comment

New York has small school and large school divisions and then the top 8 across all both divisions including PSAL and Catholic high schools meet for the championship division.

Comment

No.
        Then I hope you're pushing strenuously for one division in Florida!

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
          Then I hope you're pushing strenuously for one division in Florida!
          as posted above . . .
          [though I do approve of divisions - the more the merrier!]
          No contradiction there. One division is the best for the reason cigar gave, but I'm a spread-the-fun-around guy, which is why I approve of multiple divisions. I'm also OK with participation trophies!

Comment

I pay zero attention to the California state meet for the most part (way too late in the year), so to each state its own.

Comment

I pay zero attention to the California state meet for the most part (way too late in the year), so to each state its own.
              That is extremely surprising to me!

Comment

California has moved up a week, from first Saturday in June to last Saturday in May. Still too late?

Comment

Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
                  California has moved up a week, from first Saturday in June to last Saturday in May. Still too late?
                  This late in the spring the bandwidth is limited. I don’t even get to pay as much attention to the Texas state meet as I would like.

Comment

IMO, you need multiple divisions for fairness and to spread the interest in the sport. Oklahoma stages a Meet of Champions the week after the state champs meet. The top three in each event in all six classes are invited. Most of them show up. Many small school individuals win their event. My favorite HS meet of the year.
                    Last edited by lonewolf; 05-14-2022, 05:22 AM.

Comment

This late in the spring the bandwidth is limited. I don’t even get to pay as much attention to the Texas state meet as I would like.
                      Stop sleeping so much. Eat in small portions. Avoid TV and movies. Friends and family are optional.
                      C'mon, you can do this!

Comment

So in your neck of the woods, bandwidth is ... seasonal?

Comment

Originally posted by steveu View Post
                          So in your neck of the woods, bandwidth is ... seasonal?
                          Figurative, not literal.

Comment

Natalie Cook ran 9:48.25 to win the 6A 3200 this morning, finally taking down Kim Mortensen's legendary 9:48.59 for the particular outdoor HS distance. An NFHS record, I believe, for what it's worth.

Of course, Cook has run 9:44.44 for the full 2M indoors and several others have run indoor/outdoor 2M (or 3ks in/out, FWIW). Still pretty noteworthy in its own way. She went out in 69 and 4:50, and won by 35 seconds, so it's easy to see she could run faster (as she has).

Comment

Originally posted by steveu View Post
                              Natalie Cook ran 9:48.25 to win the 6A 3200 this morning, finally taking down Kim Mortensen's legendary 9:48.59 for the particular outdoor HS distance. An NFHS record, I believe, for what it's worth.
                              Steve, I think the record was taken to 9:47+ in 2018 by Tuohy (at the Loucks Games, so definitely federation-eligible). At least that's the record we're showing now.
                              Last edited by cigar95; 05-14-2022, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
                                Steve, I think the record was taken to 9:47+ in 2018 by Tuohy (at the Loucks Games, so definitely federation-eligible). At least that's the record we're showing now.
                                Dang, you're absolutely right. Failure of memory and properly reading lists on my part!

Comment

Working...
                                X