Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Birmingham DL

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by eightsevensix View Post
    he has false started a lot but 4 in the last 5? I don’t think so. Could be wrong but he has run in Jamaican meets and not false started.
    You are correct. According to Tilastopaja Oy, he has been DQ'd from four of his last seven, not five, 100m competitions. Indeed, the discrepancy appears to be the two meets in Jamaica. Nevertheless, he seems to have the yips.

    Date
    Meet
    Location
    Round
    Result
    26 June 2021 British Athletics Championships Manchester Final DQ
    13 July 2021 Müller British Grand Prix Gateshead 3. 10.13 (+0.4)
    1 August 2021 Olympic Games Tokyo Final DQ
    26 March 2022 John Wolmer Speed Fest Kingston Semifinal
    (Hughes did not enter the final.)
    1. 10.15 (+1.3)
    2 April 2022 MVP Velocity Fest Kingston Final 2. 10.10 (-0.4)
    12 May 2022 Puerto Rico International Athletics Classic Ponce Heat DQ
    21 May 2022 London Diamond League Birmingham DQ

    Comment


    • Originally posted by El Toro View Post
      Maybe most modern track surfaces are actually pretty similar and performances are determined more by the athletes quality and state of tune rather than any magical track properties. After all, if you add up all the supposed percentage improvements of tracks over the last 40 years, men should have improved 2 seconds on average in the 100m...
      I think there is something in that. Back in the '80s and '90s, some tracks local to me were known as being a bit spongy and soft and therefore good for distance running but not too quick for sprinting while others were firmer and quicker for sprinting but perhaps not ideal for training on several times a week. I do think there may be less variability in surfaces now and they have found a balance between those extremes.

      Regarding Birmingham not getting the top-grade surface I can see why that might be. It is the home track of one of the biggest clubs in the UK and will therefore be heavily used for training by a wide variety of athletes including many school-age kids. While the top grade surface may be less hard and perhaps injurious as older ones, there may be a reluctance to pay for the most expensive surface when it will probably need replacing in just a few years.

      Comment


      • Birmingham is always pretty meh, for whatever reason, but the station at least looked good.

        What a throw by Čeh! 2-0 up on Ståhl this year too, wow. Mihambo the other standout too with that monster jump.

        Parchment vs McLeod also stood out to me - Parchment obviously looks spectacular, but McLeod ran a very impressive time considering he clattered a hurdle pretty hard.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by reggaemon View Post

          My thought exactly. Doesn't look good on her part to be running 3 races on the same day. I went to Birmingham with the expectation of seeing her compete and as a fan eho paid their money, not happy seeing this.
          According to the commentary last night during the Jamaican meet, they didnt want her to travel all the way to Birmingham given she felt the slight niggle in training and said it was preferable that she ran the races at home in line with their schedule.
          Apparently Ignorance is bliss

          Comment


          • Evidently, the salad days of multiple dedicated field event streams from Diamond League meetings have come and gone. Was hoping that their absence in Doha, first noted here by our friend donley2 , was merely an aberration, but no such luck. I'm deeply disappointed, but not surprised. In the recent past, I very much enjoyed first watching each dedicated field event stream sans commentary, and charting the events as they progressed, before watching the main feed. Arguably superior to the in-stadium experience.

            Speaking of the main feed, was again frustrated by the almost universal selection of head-on camera angles for the longer running events, combined with the usual barrage of jump cuts. Wish directors understood that this misguided approach makes it virtually impossible to follow a race live.

            (Sigh.) Hope I'm not as old as I sound in this post.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Mr Lover Lover View Post

              According to the commentary last night during the Jamaican meet, they didnt want her to travel all the way to Birmingham given she felt the slight niggle in training and said it was preferable that she ran the races at home in line with their schedule.
              Flying takes it out of you and sitting down for all that time and the required acclimatisation means if you're unsure, you stay close to home where conditions are likely to be better. Even though she faced a -1.8w, the heat and humidity might have been better than Birmingham.

              Her 22.55 a further improvement and follows her pattern from last year chipping away at it as the season progresses.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
                Evidently, the salad days of multiple dedicated field event streams from Diamond League meetings have come and gone. Was hoping that their absence in Doha, first noted here by our friend donley2 , was merely an aberration, but no such luck. I'm deeply disappointed, but not surprised. In the recent past, I very much enjoyed first watching each dedicated field event stream sans commentary, and charting the events as they progressed, before watching the main feed. Arguably superior to the in-stadium experience.

                Speaking of the main feed, was again frustrated by the almost universal selection of head-on camera angles for the longer running events, combined with the usual barrage of jump cuts. Wish directors understood that this misguided approach makes it virtually impossible to follow a race live.

                (Sigh.) Hope I'm not as old as I sound in this post.
                I've been trying (unsuccessfully) ever since London 2017 to get them to provide a races-only, no-commentary stream, but things are clearly going in the opposite direction. OTOH, DL results are starting to provide a new kind of file, "race-analysis graphical", in .pdf form. They show a colored line for each athlete, graphing velocity in one and distance from lead in the other. In races with large fields, this just looks like "modern art", but, for example, in the M 110H file, it clearly shows when Parchment caught and passed McLeod. After the two graphs, then they show splits and "segments", which are identical. They are also providing the race-analysis files. For Doha, the RA files were screwed up, and I sent a message to DL about them, but the Birmingham ones look fine. I tried to upload one of the graphical files, but the system wouldn't let me -- too large. The "live results" page is now gone, too, so I can't provide a link. In future, look on the left above the results list for "Reports"; you'll find a drop-down list with Start List, Result, race-analysis, race-analysis graphical. The file opens in a new window and you can save it.

                I share Davidokun's frustration while trying to follow the longer races.
                Cheers,
                Alan Shank
                Woodland, CA, USA

                Comment


                • So I have this elementary question about false starts.

                  When Bromell was DQ'd for negative reaction time, there were at least two other athletes who had less than 0.1 reaction time.

                  So why were the other two not DQ'd? Is it because Bromell "triggered" them? And if so, is it possible for more than one athlete to be DQ'd at the same time if it is determined neither was influenced by the other?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                    So I have this elementary question about false starts.

                    When Bromell was DQ'd for negative reaction time, there were at least two other athletes who had less than 0.1 reaction time.

                    So why were the other two not DQ'd? Is it because Bromell "triggered" them? And if so, is it possible for more than one athlete to be DQ'd at the same time if it is determined neither was influenced by the other?
                    The answer to the last question is yes. A false start can be called against more than one athlete if it is judged that one didn't trigger the other. For example if they were in lane 1 and lane 8.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by gh View Post
                      Čeh knocks big names Bruch, Bugar & Powell out of the all-time top 10 (they were tied)
                      THANK YOU! I was wondering who was knocked out. If a commentator says someone made the top 10, the only logical follow-up is saying who was knocked out.

                      Like when they talk about athletes going for the standard for the WC, but don't tell you the standard! I hadn't memorized the w5,000 WC standard. Still don't know it.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Fortius19 View Post
                        I hadn't memorized the w5,000 WC standard. Still don't know it.
                        Ta Da!
                        .
                        100 10.05 11.15
                        200 20.24 22.80
                        400 44.90 51.35
                        800 1:45.20 1:59.50
                        1500 3:35.00 4:04.20
                        5000 13:13.50 15:10.00
                        10000 27:28.00 31:25.00
                        Mar 2:11:30 2:29:30
                        3000St 8:22.00 9:30.00
                        100H/110H 13.32 12.84
                        400H 48.90 55.40
                        High jump 2.33 1.96
                        Pole vault 5.80 4.70
                        Long jump 8.22 6.82
                        Triple jump 17.14 14.32
                        Shot put 21.10 18.50
                        Discus 66.00 63.50
                        Hammer 77.50 72.50
                        Javelin 85.00 64.00
                        Hep/Dec 6420 8350
                        20 walk 1:21:00 1:31:00
                        35 walk 2:33:00 2:54:00
                        50 walk 3:50:00 4:25:00

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

                          The answer to the last question is yes. A false start can be called against more than one athlete if it is judged that one didn't trigger the other. For example if they were in lane 1 and lane 8.
                          Thanks for your answer. I don't recall seeing an instance like this, but I haven't seen as many sprint races as many people on this board.

                          Comment


                          • Asafa was also DQd when Jon Drummond had his infamous tantrum in 2003.
                            i deserve extra credit

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X