Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Relays 2023 - Suggestions?

We just had our annual round of bonus holiday picks for our fitness test and I finally remembered to think about the Texas Relays.

Any suggestions on where to stay? As close as possible? Downtown and then walk?

What have others done?

lonewolf jazzcyclist maybe I'll see you there? Who else?
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Parking is a bear unless you get there reallllly early and snag a spot in the garage attached to the stadium. Your best bet is probably to spring for a hotel close enough to walk, though they won't be cheap. Austin's a terrible driving city.

If you're an adventurous sort, try the Days Inn just across I35 from campus

Wealthier than me? https://meetattexas.com/ is about as close as you can get without living in a dorm.
    Last edited by gm; 05-18-2022, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
      Parking is a bear unless you get there reallllly early and snag a spot in the garage attached to the stadium. Your best bet is probably to spring for a hotel close enough to walk, though they won't be cheap. Austin's a terrible driving city.

If you're an adventurous sort, try the Days Inn just across I35 from campus

Wealthier than me? https://meetattexas.com/ is about as close as you can get without living in a dorm.
      Funny! The At&t Center is what I'm looking at right now. There's a nice Hilton we stayed at for State in 2018 just one block South and East but it's already sold out!

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        Not so funny story. I got a parking ticket at this years Relays. I had not been in quite a number of years. I swear we followed the signs to Relays parking, but apparently not. I told my wife to throw the ticket in the trash, but she paid it .

Comment

I suppose this is important too: as far as I can tell it's March 29-April 1...?

donley2​​​​​​​

Parked in an unauthorized place?

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
            I suppose this is important too: as far as I can tell it's March 29-April 1...?

donley2

Parked in an unauthorized place?
            According to UT campus parking folks yes.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2 View Post

According to UT campus parking folks yes.
              Don't worry, I have a few of those stuffed in a drawer somewhere... from 1989!

Comment

For the last forty years, since it was the Texas Inn, I have stayed at Motel 6 at 531/2 St/I-35. No frills, 3 miles down Red River to the stadium, never get on I-35. Parking is another matter. Being an official has its perks. When the meet was inside Memorial Stadium, I parked inside the stadium, entering from the north end. When Mark Myers was built, before the current construction, in addition to the parking garage, there was considerable parking south of Mike Myers. Now the parking is up the hill on Red River northeast of the track. I do not know anything about street parking within waking distance. Good luck.

Comment

Are tickets GA or sold by sections?

If by sections, any tips/suggestions to best spot?

Comment

Are tickets GA or sold by sections?

If by sections, any tips/suggestions to best spot?
                    Personally I generally buy GA so I can sit on the backstretch and find some shade. Otherwise don't forget the sunscreen.

Comment

Funny! The At&t Center is what I'm looking at right now. There's a nice Hilton we stayed at for State in 2018 just one block South and East but it's already sold out!
                      I've stayed at the AT&T Center the last few times I went. For someone as fit as you, it's walking distance from the stadium. However, there is a good bit of free street parking on the other side of the stadium, but get there early.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2 View Post

Personally I generally buy GA so I can sit on the backstretch and find some shade. Otherwise don't forget the sunscreen.
                        Yep, always sit on the pressbox/garage side. Much better view and some shade sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

I've stayed at the AT&T Center the last few times I went. For someone as fit as you, it's walking distance from the stadium. However, there is a good bit of free street parking on the other side of the stadium, but get there early.
                          That's what I went with. Hopefully won't touch the car one time after checking in. Austin traffic is awful.

Comment

Airbnb, maybe? I live on 41st Street, three blocks east of Guadalupe, usually walk to the Texas Relays (about 50 minutes), and currently see four 2-person Airbnb offerings, at an average of about $100, a few blocks closer than I am in the vicinity of 38th Street between Guadalupe and Duval. So maybe a 40-45 minute walk. There are a few more if you go up to $120. We had a grad school reunion in October 2018, the Formula One race weekend, and a fellow student got an AIrbnb something pretty close to me despite being very tardy in obtaining a reservation.

Besides walking, there's city bus potential, although I'm not very familiar with the routes or other logistics of that alternative.

UT, as suggested by this thread, is very strict on parking. I think it was the first summer of the coronavirus (so 2020) that I took my car up to the intramural fields to do a hike in that area. Nobody was using the intramural fields. There were probably 200-300 empty parking spaces. I parked there, did a round trip hike of two miles or so, returned, and had a ticket. I now just start out from home and up the exercise to three or so miles. Usually, with nobody else around, there's a vehicle parked at the south end of the long intramural parking lot, and I greatly suspect it's a UT somebody waiting and on the lookout for someone to give a ticket to.

Comment

........................................ Austin traffic is awful.
                              Let the church say amen!!!!!!!! Also, Austin has got to be one of the most poorly designed cities in the country.

Comment

Working...
                              X