Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    It's only when athletes of the caliber of Bolt or Bromell FS that anyone really cares.
    Bolt handled that one (2015 WC??) by mixing with the crowd afterwards, many of whom were there mainly to see HIM!
    Daegu 2011. He was pissed afterwards, but went on to win the 200m and 4x100 anyway.

Comment

The current rules are good and they work. The answer is for sprinters to stop taking a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        Even when they get DQed afterward, i.e., no credit, no time that counts, no prize money or WA ranking pts?
        So Usain Bolt false starts, jumps back in and runs anyway and beats the field on the restart and is subsequently dq'd for the FS. Whoever the winner is is now a footnote to many.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
          The current rules are good and they work. The answer is for sprinters to stop taking a shot.
          absolutely

this is a solution in search of a problem

Comment

I don’t like the 0.10 rule. If a runner starts after the gun is fired, it should be legal.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
              It certainly was a problem when Bolt FSed, and it was for Birmingham when Bromell left. My solution may not be the right one, but the Problem is there.
              If Bolt had been allowed to run, two men win - Bolt shows he's the best and his countryman, Blake, gets the Gold Medal.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
                I don’t like the 0.10 rule. If a runner starts after the gun is fired, it should be legal.
                Nor do I. If you can't see a false start, it didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

absolutely

Agreed.

Comment

I like the idea of docking the runner 0.10 or 0.15 seconds. No time lost, they still run, crowd gets to see the full field.

That said, I agree with the status quo. Star runners getting DQ'd just doesn't happen often enough to have an impact on the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                      Nor do I. If you can't see a false start, it didn't happen.
                      If an athlete leaves the blocks with a reaction time of 0.01 it will certainly look like a false start.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
                        The rules of the sport are that athletes are to start on hearing the gun. If they are starting before 0.10 they are not responding to the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

The rules of the sport are that athletes are to start on hearing the gun. If they are starting before 0.10 they are not responding to the gun.
                          Exactly.
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

It certainly was a problem when Bolt FSed, and it was for Birmingham when Bromell left.
                            Wait, what was the issue when Bolt and Bromell false started? Was it an issue when Christie false started twice (on the 3rd attempt) in 1996?

Comment

It certainly was a problem when Bolt FSed, and it was for Birmingham when Bromell left. My solution may not be the right one, but the Problem is there.
                              If Bolt had been allowed to run, two men win - Bolt shows he's the best and his countryman, Blake, gets the Gold Medal.
                              Blake twitched.

Just sayin

Comment

Even when they get DQed afterward, i.e., no credit, no time that counts, no prize money or WA ranking pts?
                                No exceptions! Once we take the first step to accommodate false starts, we encourage more of it. The rules are fine. Leave it alone!

Comment

Working...
                                X