Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATK View Post
    Wait, what was the issue when Bolt and Bromell false started? Was it an issue when Christie false started twice (on the 3rd attempt) in 1996?
    When the majority of people who bought tickets and came to the stadium are not happy, that's not a good business model.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      When the majority of people who bought tickets and came to the stadium are not happy, that's not a good business model.
      But I'm not even sure that was the case in either situation. Maybe Bolt, but he ran 2 other events in 2011. Bromell was not even close to being the draw at the Birmingham meet. I'm sure DAS's first 100m of the year and Hodgkinson's first outdoor race of the year far surpassed the men's 100m in terms of stadium fan's interest.

Comment

But I'm not even sure that was the case in either situation. Maybe Bolt, but he ran 2 other events in 2011. Bromell was not even close to being the draw at the Birmingham meet. I'm sure DAS's first 100m of the year and Hodgkinson's first outdoor race of the year far surpassed the men's 100m in terms of stadium fan's interest.
        Only because it was in the UK. How would that have played out in the Jacksonville meet?

Comment

Only because it was in the UK. How would that have played out in the Jacksonville meet?
          But it wasn't in Jacksonville. UK fans bought tickets for a meet in the UK. And Jacksonville already had a plethora of big name pull outs (Holloway, Knighton, Norman)

I understand your point to a degree, but as others have noted, big name false starts dont happen enough to justify a change. And a person winning a race, but not actually winning would be confusing for the public who already is confused at our sport.

Comment

a person winning a race, but not actually winning would be confusing for the public who already is confused at our sport.
            Ya got me there! I was looking at it from a cognoscente's perspective, but they are not the majority of stadium filler-uppers.

Comment

This.

I was in the stadium I Daegu when Bolt false started. Was it disappointing? Very. Was it an “issue”? No. They’re the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
                The current rules are good and they work. The answer is for sprinters to stop taking a shot.
                This ^^

Sitting at the Pac-12 Champs last week I spent a few moments thinking of how nice it was that there was not a single false start in my three days there. Line 'em up, fire the gun, watch the race. Bolt FS'd in Daegu? Bubka NH'd in Barcelona? Oh well - them's the rules. Moving on . . .

Comment

He would have withdrawn just like the other half of the athletes did.

Comment

Ya got me there! I was looking at it from a cognoscente's perspective, but they are not the majority of stadium filler-uppers.
                    Most cognoscente's understand the rules and go along with them when necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                      Most cognoscente's understand the rules and go along with them when necessary.
                      It's the "when necessary" part, I'm looking at.

Comment

Just leave the current false state rule alone, it works.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                          I asked the same question before on this board, and it was immediately shot down.
                          I see what you mean!
                          Just wait till Coe makes me King of The (T&F) World and I start instituting my dicta!!

Comment

Athletes "take a shot" in almost every other sport, and they are penalized in some fashion without removing them completely from the game/event.

I see the point about T&F's business model.

Comment

Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
                              Yeas ago someone mentioned (in the magazine, I think) making a FS a penalty instead of a DQ. For each false start, move the blocks back by a meter. In the 200, move it back 2 meters.
                              I think the issue there was a practical one moreso than philosophical.
                              This is what the "professional" athletics bodies do in AUS and I'm assuming the UK. However, that works philosophically and practically because the races are handicap events.

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post

This is what the "professional" athletics bodies do in AUS and I'm assuming the UK. However, that works philosophically and practically because the races are handicap events.
                                I believe that this is what they do at the Powderhall Sprint in Scotland.

Comment

Working...
                                X